Prepping for the aproaching Hurricaine

This is a discussion on Prepping for the aproaching Hurricaine within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Great choice in armament. I'm wanting a 1894c for the same reason....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Prepping for the aproaching Hurricaine

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Great choice in armament. I'm wanting a 1894c for the same reason.

2. Remove Ads

Keep in mind that a well stocked pantry can come in handy in more ways than one. Canned goods make dandy "risers" to keep the legs of your furniture above water if it invades your house. Obviously won't do too much for major flooding, but can prevent a lot of damage if you just have a few inches seep in.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    All I need to pick up tonight is fuel for the generator. Loss of power is my biggest concern. Ammo I got. The bread is probably already soldout!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Orlando will be on the "back side" of Isaac, and the outer bands on the back side are really dangerous with spin off tornadoes and nasty wind. After the 2004 hurricanes, this one should be a slam dunk for us here in Central Florida, but I still take it very seriously. Being without power in August in Florida is one of the most miserable times in my entire life. No A/C for 17 days back in 2004 after Charley.....and had no preparation because everyone said, "Hurricanes never hit Orlando".

8 Cans of Tuna: Check
    1 Jar Peanut Butter: Check
    2 loafs of bread: check
    1 box of crackers: Check
    Frig filled with water bottles: Check
    plenty'o AA batteries: Check
    Flashlights: Check
    Battery operated radio: check
    Catfood: Check
    Car filled with Gas: check
    couple of movies for the battery powered DVD: Check

I'm good to go. You guys on the Gulf side of the State, hunker down. Its gonna get bumpy.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

No tactical bacon?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Since we were hit by Rita and Ike,we keep a supply of the small propane bottles,typically found at Wal Mart ,with a little burner that screws on top. Really handy.
    BugDude likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I've got my gas grill...unless it gets blown away.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Hints on using the WaterBob bath tub bladder

Ive used the water bob for real in both an emergency situation and one where the water company had to shut down the water for an entire week. Again, from personal experience, people that live in upper stories of condo/apartment buildings will find they have no water when the power goes out in the storm.

The box size is about the size of a shoe box and stores easily. It is compressed and packed well, so if you open the box to check it out, it will be difficult to get it folded again tight enough to reinstall in the box.

A couple of hints:

Getting the bladder to lay as flat as possible when starting to fill it up will be a big help. Once you get a few inches of water in it, it is almost impossible to move/adjust because of the dead weight.
    Notice in the video that the girl holds the filler tube to the tub spigot. This is almost a requirement. The force of the water filling the bladder will push the filler tube off of the spigot, even with a tight cable tie. Remember to fill only with cold water.
    There is a small siphon break on top of the squeeze tube for starting the siphon action. Make sure that siphon break cap is securely fastened and finger tight. If you dont check it, the cap may not be screwed tight and the siphon action wont work properly.
    If you try to use the Waterbob again, you have to siphon almost all of the water out of it first. As mentioned above, just a few inches of water will make it almost impossible to move. The only way to empty it, other than by siphon, is to be able to turn the bladder on its side so the water can empty out of the access holes on the top. (There are 2 access holes with screw caps, one for the filling tube, and one for the siphon knob). Waterbob recommends using the bladder only once.

From a practical point, that recommendation is moot. Even with just a little water in the bag in a small area like a bath tub, its almost impossible to move to a position where you can empty the bladder.

I finally gave up on trying to use mine twice. I sliced open the bladder and recycled the plastic.

All in all, a great product.

Stay Safe!

DC
    QKShooter likes this.

I have GOT to get me some waterbobs. I've got 4 tubs, so I should be able to be set for a while if I had several of them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Orlando will be on the "back side" of Isaac, and the outer bands on the back side are really dangerous with spin off tornadoes and nasty wind. After the 2004 hurricanes, this one should be a slam dunk for us here in Central Florida, but I still take it very seriously. Being without power in August in Florida is one of the most miserable times in my entire life. No A/C for 17 days back in 2004 after Charley.....and had no preparation because everyone said, "Hurricanes never hit Orlando".

8 Cans of Tuna: Check
    1 Jar Peanut Butter: Check
    2 loafs of bread: check
    1 box of crackers: Check
    Frig filled with water bottles: Check
    plenty'o AA batteries: Check
    Flashlights: Check
    Battery operated radio: check
    Catfood: Check
    Car filled with Gas: check
    couple of movies for the battery powered DVD: Check

I'm good to go. You guys on the Gulf side of the State, hunker down. Its gonna get bumpy.
    Don't forget the beer and ammo.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    What amazed me before Ike was the different outlook on things here than the Mid-Atlantic region. Back in Maryland before a big winter storm people stocked up on bread, milk, and toilet paper. Here in Texas before Ike everyone was buying beer, margarita mix, and tortilla chips.
    It didn't make sense to me either when I grew up in the North East, who want french toast when your stuck at home? Steaks, Brats, Chocolate cream pie, Booze and junk food are the way to go.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

VIP Member
    Make sure u have a manual can opener and matches in a dry place. Usually if the roof stays put all u have to worry abt is power outages that is if ur not living in a flood prone area.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

For many years in college in FL, my combo was a P89 and a PC9 carbine, same magazines and ammo. They are pretty decent if you can find one used.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I tell you what, when it comes to bringing my long guns with me in an evacuation, I have now replaced my plastic cases with a somewhat lower profile double long gun case from 511 Tactical, which contains compartments to fit a shotgun and an M-4 rifle. Also has additional pockets for other acessories too. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links