Break & enters, home invasions, and pepper spray.

This is a discussion on Break & enters, home invasions, and pepper spray. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking scuba mask. I don't own either a scuba mask or ski goggles: anyone willing to test the ability of ski goggles to protect ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Break & enters, home invasions, and pepper spray.

I'm thinking scuba mask. I don't own either a scuba mask or ski goggles: anyone willing to test the ability of ski goggles to protect vs. pepper spray? I think they'd be both lighter and offer a better field of vision.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ski masks are ventilated and would let spray/mist enter. You need something "airtight."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

1026 Chippenham Dr, Baton Rouge, LA 70808
    I would like to say, swimming goggle provide the complete isolation of eyes from external surroundings and swim masks rather helpful in easy breathe. So you can protect yourselves with such swim stuffs.

Perhaps a dog..if allowed and your willing to have one.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I would vote for the gas mask. My son got one from the Army Navy store. It is fast to put on and looks much more intimidating than any of the other masks mentioned. You can also see well out of it.

I think the long Maglite would be a good idea as someone else has mentioned. Use that in one hand to blind and club with and have a knife in the other hand for if they get in too close.

Since my wife is a teacher and can't carry a gun on the school campus, I got her a high powered zapper. That would work also instead of the knife. It has the two prongs that shoots lightning between them. It sounds and looks wicked. It is for if someone gets right next to you as you have to jab it into their body.

A dry chemical fire extinguisher can immobilize, blind & distract an intruder with little effect on you. That'll let you then get close enough to cave his head with the steel housing! Oh! You're in Canada right? Any laws against hockey sticks? They seem pretty effective in the NHL.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'm not worried about my ability to bring violence to bear, I'm worried about being incapacitated. Like I said, pepperspray is a fairly common assault tool where I am (I'm surprised it's not common elsewhere).

I should stop being a wuss and just do a head-to-head comparing ski goggles to a diving mask. If both fail, maybe I should consider a gas mask. That would be hardcore scary for mr. bump-in-the-night.

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I don't really have the answer your looking for but should you survive the assault and want to clean-up after, Fox Labs makes some wipes purported to clean up the chemical agents. I have not used this product myself.

Fox Labs International
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

As a former LEO I can tell you that I have sprayed numerous people with pepper spray. It's not as effective as one might think and in many cases I've found it to be more a hindrance than a help. Bottom-line, once the adrenaline dump occurs you can fight through it pretty easily. Cops have notoriously bad aim when it comes to chemical agents and I've gotten a face full on more than one occasion. It sucks but, it hardly incapacitating. Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

StarPD45
    Not figuring any legal consequences, wasp spray is very effective and has good range.

Administrator
    FOX LABS Decontamination Wipes. Have a bunch of those handy. They are not expensive.
    And then Ebay is your friend. Buy an NBC MIL Surplus Gas Mask. (Nuclear Biological Chemical)
    They are pretty cheap on Ebay.

Sudecon Decontamination Wipes
    neutralizes pepper spray and tear gas when running water is not available. Sudecon will neutralize and wash off pepper spray from your eyes and skin if you follow the simple directions. Sudecon wipes will quickly ease the pain and burn. Follow the instructions on the package for the best relief.Sudecon Decontamination Wipes drastically improves recovery time from exposure to pepper spray, CN and CS gasses as well. The patented formula in Sudecon® wipes works faster and more consistently to clean up individuals exposed to OC, CS and CN than any other decontamination product ever formulated!

Used by many hospitals and EMC's all over the USA
    It strips the chemical agents from the skin instantly and takes away the 'burn' and opens the eyes in just 7 to 15 minutes-or less!
    With the many different brands of OC and OC/CS on the market today, there are surprisingly few solutions—other than large amounts of cold water. Fox Labs, a Michigan-based manufacturer and an international marketing company, has introduced Sudecon, a wipe which decontaminates (without water) a person sprayed with OC and CS.
    DESCRIPTION
    Similar to a wet wipe you get at a restaurant, Sudecon is a cloth-type paper wipe (towelette) 7 1/2 X 11 1/2 inches containing a non-tearing liquid solution. Sudecon packets are sold individually, and you will need at least two packets to complete the decontamination process. The directions are easy to follow. First you tear off the top portions of a pouch and remove and unfold the damp cloth. Immediately place the towelette over your face and thoroughly wipe the OC and CS off your face, eyes, nose and mouth (you may notice the white towelette change color—this is the OC/CS being removed). With eyes closed, using a second fresh towelette, squeeze towelette over the eyes allowing membranes to absorb the solution. (Squeeze towelette to extract solution.) It is of the utmost importance to squeeze the towelette over the eyes while allowing the liquid to flow around the eyes. After doing so, lay towelette over face to soothe burning sensation. Then continue to wipe the OC and CS off your face, concentrating on your eyes, nose and mouth. Do this until you can voluntarily open your eyes. Do not use water with the towelette; it will only dilute the decontamination formula. Note: Some of the OC and CS will still be in your respiratory system, but you will experience a recovery of vision and the coordination of your eyes within 7 to 15 minutes.
    testING AND EVALUATION
    I received outstanding results when evaluating Sudecon. None of the subjects assisting me had ever been exposed to a chemical agent. All were sprayed using one to three bursts (1/2 to 1 second). Every subject sprayed stayed contaminated for a period of about five to seven minutes to simulate the time it would take a law officer to control, handcuff and search the contaminated subject. The OC products used were MSI foam; Def-Tec Stream; PRO-AER fog/cone; Bodyguard stream; Punch fog/cone; MSI fog/cone; First Defense fog/cone; FOX stream; Cap-Stun stream and MSI OC/CS fog/cone.
    The average recovery time (the amount of time it takes to be able to voluntarily open the eyes) was between 12 and 15 minutes. The fastest time we had was 7.5 minutes and the longest was 14.92 minutes.
    Sudecon Wipes are a definite benefit to law enforcement agencies who deploy the use of OC, OC/CS or other chemical deterrents.
    With Sudecon’s convenient packaging, an officer can easily carry a couple of packets in a pocket. Sudecon provides the officer with the most effective product available to decontaminate a suspect sprayed with OC, CS or CN. It also assists the officer in being able to quickly decontaminate themselves, their equipment and vehicle after they have used a chemical spray. Simply the best anti-pepper spray product available.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    A number of companies sell moderately inexpensive fire escape masks and hoods. They run from a few bucks
    for the most disposable and are designed to give you an ability to breath and see while finding your way out of
    a smoke filled room.

Such a mask would be a MUST for anyone who has a bedroom on an upper floor. An escape ladder too.

I don't know if these would be effective against pepper, but the better ones certainly look as if they would be.
    The basic principle is the same; cover, seal, and filter. Here is just one of very many products; link is put up just
    to illustrate what I'm talking about. Xcaper - Fire Escape Mask - Amazon.com

BTW, your odds of needing a fire escape mask are probably a bit higher than your odds of needing protection from an invader
    who uses pepper--just guessing that is the case.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Thanks for all the advice, people. I know I ignored giving replies in real-time. I think a real gas-mask might be the way to go, but clearly I'm procrastinating when it comes to trying one out. I'm currently going with swimming goggles, entirely out of convenience and laziness.

I drilled the house this weekend. Normally, I drill during the day just by walking around and making sure my route and lines of sight are clear. I don't carry a weapon during the drill, because it kinda creeps out the family and they find it weird, but I do it in my "toss on in the middle of the night" clothes (bare feet included, heh). I was too shy to wear the goggles, though, lol. I put them on while putting on my night-clothes, but then took them off.

I do 2 am drills too, using my alarm. Not very often, obviously, but in full kit. I put the goggles on for this one, and they felt kinda weird. I also felt very silly, even though no one watched me. I really think they'd limit my ability to do hand-to-hand, but they'd confuse a B&Eer something fierce. And probably my 'sneaking in at 2 am' teenager too, for when that inevitably happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links