Break & enters, home invasions, and pepper spray.

This is a discussion on Break & enters, home invasions, and pepper spray. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The first caveat is that I'm in Canada, and so firearms are incredibly more restricted here than most people might be used to. An incredible ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Break & enters, home invasions, and pepper spray.

The first caveat is that I'm in Canada, and so firearms are incredibly more restricted here than most people might be used to.

An incredible number of robberies and home invasions here involve the criminal using pepper spray as a weapon of intimidation or incapacitation. My layman's view is that it's used much more commonly than functional firearms* and maybe even more than the use of firearms.

With this in mind, it seems that my 'bump in the night' kit should include some type of defense against pepperspray. Have people put thought into how to do this? Something silly as a swimming mask with a plastic shield to cover the lower face? Something fancy?

And, what's your impression of the local threat of pepper spray? Are you at greater risk of being pepper sprayed (at home) than being shot?

*It's quite funny when viewed from the outside. A huge number of brandished guns are later found to be replicas, non-functional, or to not contain any ammunition. It's no less scary when having one pointed at you, but most of our wanna-be thugs cannot score both a functioning weapon and ammunition.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Defense against it? Well, you could try a paintball mask if you really have your heart set on it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

keep a set of satety glasses close to the bed with a baseball bat

Harden your home against intrusion. Most intruders don't want to come through glass windows, they prefer to break glass and open a door or to kick the door open itself.

Do the standard fare for hardening your home and make it less inviting. At the same time the safety glasses next to the bed with a baseball bat is a solid recommendation.

Do people have safety glasses on their nightstand? They'd not protect against pepper spray as much as you'd think. The vapor rolls around the edges and then acts like a guided missile to the pain centers of your brain.

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

I think the swim mask (including nose) plus a vapor mask might due the trip to some extent. ALthough I suggest something big and sharp that even when blinded would be effective against an enemy.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Are cattle prods legal? A cattle prod won't defend against mace spray per se, but it will keep BG's at arms length even when you're half-blinded in a hallway.

Hardening the entry points can help. Hardening/barring the bedroom door can help. Equates to time.

If you've got an alarm system, does it have the ability to activate the perimeter-only zone? That'll at least give you some advance warning. Clearly-visible videocams (external) might help to deter some invaders, at least those without masks/hoods.

As would a larger, athletic dog.

Bummer you're criminalized for daring to have a firearm in the home, to defend your lives. I feel for you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    This is my defense against pepper spray, it just takes me awhile to get into it
    BT Drill 023.jpg

I'm the tall good looking one.
    CanuckQue and minimalbrat like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The use of pepper spray makes sense where guns are less used. Most face shields/masks are ventilated to prevent fogging, therefore won't provide good protection agains sprays. Simple Speedo swim goggles would be better as they provide a "water-tight" seal, maybe the type that covers both eyes. As for breathing the fumes, the fastest thing would be to hold one's breath.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    This is my defense against pepper spray, it just takes me awhile to get into it
    BT Drill 023.jpg

I'm the tall good looking one.
    Ha ha. Level A suit with scba. It is effective for pepper spray and even those instances where you might be attacked with Hydrofluric acid. Chemical style goggles should be good enough, the kind that seal around your face. At least you would maintain your vision.
    Last edited by DrahtDog; August 27th, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    A Twelve Guage shotgun works every time.

My entire intent is to be able to maintain rational capacity if pepper spray is loosed at me or loosed in my house. Is it truly not used in very many assaults where you live?

OldVet suggests holding the breath, and my experience is this automatically happens when we're sprayed. My experience, too, is that if the oils land on your face, all future breathing is somewhat painful. This is why I was thinking of some type of plastic mask hanging over my mouth. I think that ski googles might have better field-of-view than a swimming mask. I wonder if it's sealed enough to provide a defensive barrier?

First post here for me. At any rate, I thought this was an interesting subject that warranted further thought.

As far as defense against pepper spray, anything that's going to seal off your eyes will be highly beneficial. In the initial moments of engagement, that will be most critical. OC can hinder breathing, but my best guess is that with the adrenaline accompanying a B&E defense scenario, you'd be able to get a couple good swings in with your blunt object of choice. I'm partial to a multi-cell flashlight like the maglite with 4 batteries or better (easy to transition from target identification to defensive blows, and potentially reduce legal repercussions since its primary function is not a weapon). With that in mind, I would shy away from anything ventilated, including paintball goggles. As a former competitive paintball player, I can tell you that anything with any level of velocity that hits the venting will find its way onto your face. Best bet would be either swim goggles or a snorkel mask IMO, and for additional face protection those cheap painting masks would probably get the job done. You don't need 100% protection, just enough to maintain your functionality long enough to defend your family. besides, you might just scare the BG away when he sees the crazy guy in a scuba mask chasing him down! (although for intimidation purposes, outside of the 12ga pump racking, cranking a chainsaw would probably be universally understood as well)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links