Simplified nationwide carry guide?

This is a discussion on Simplified nationwide carry guide? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I'm new here, but I had an idea for something that I thought could be useful for all of us. I know there ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NotMallNinja

Thread: Simplified nationwide carry guide?

Hey all,

I'm new here, but I had an idea for something that I thought could be useful for all of us. I know there are a couple of books out with these resources in them, but if we did this as a group-sourced project (and maybe the mods could make a sticky thread to this intent) it would be more readily available.

Basically, this is an idea that's been bouncing around my head- a guide that would be applicable for all Concealed Carry permit holders. The format I'd want to see is like this:

State:

Reciprocity with following states:

Concealed carry: (yes/no) permit type (not required, shall issue, may issue, no issue)

Open carry: (yes/ no) permit type (not required, shall issue, may issue, no issue)

Vehicle carry: (permit required? etc)

Knives: (y/n)

Blunt (batons): (y/n)

Electric weapons: (y/n)

Chemical sprays: (y/n)

Prohibited carry areas: (special considerations if different for Open vs. Concealed)

Must declare: (y/n) (e.g. when dealing with LEOs)

Firearm restrictions: (y/n) (list such as pistols only, magazine limits, etc)

My thought is that we could create a growing reference guide that would allow a person travelling to a state outside of their home to easily check for specific laws that pertain to them. For instance, I have a Florida CWFL, which in my state allows me to conceal not only a handgun, but basically any LEGAL weapon I so choose. I am also free to carry in church. If I travel to Michigan to visit my grandparents, I'm limited to my firearm as far as weapons go (and can only carry an exceptionally weak OC spray) and must get approval from the pastor if I wish to carry in church. I managed to gather this all on my own, but when travelling by car I need to do this for each individual state. Personally I don't mind, but it might be beneficial for some others as a resource.

Like this one?
    Handgunlaw.us

Michael

The challenge with all of these resources (even Legal Heat as an iPhone app, handgunlaw.us, etc.) is that the information you need MUST be current as of the day you need it. The laws, reciprocity, etc. change so often that you must be certain that where you are going and what you are doing (carrying) needs to be 100% kosher.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I've checked out several of the online resources as well. Obviously current information is most critical in any situation (I know Florida's status with New Mexico changed in the time between my training course and receipt of my permit). I just thought it might be nice to have something a little more informal, especially where niche issues could be discussed. Maybe it's just me. I just dislike being unarmed anywhere but since the SCOTUS has deemed that it's not unconstitutional for states to limit the right to bear arms I have to follow the law.

Here's one for I-Phone usere...

The app is called "Legal Heat" and is a free download.
    I gives updates on each state you open...seems to be a useful 'in the pocket' guide.

Here's another site for info...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Here's one for I-Phone users...

The app is called "Legal Heat" and is a free download.
    I gives updates on each state you open...seems to be a useful 'in the pocket' guide.

Here's another site for info... USA Carry - Your #1 Concealed Carry Resource and Community
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use the Legal Heat app as well, they do well at keeping it up to date on a state by state basis. Best resource I've found so far that is constantly updated.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

I use CCW on my Smartphone. It gives good details on what states require what and accept which permits.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

If one is going to travel to/or through various states it will be in your best interest not to rely solely on information found on the internet or via a smart phone app.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Links