Thoughts in training significant others on your weapons...

This is a discussion on Thoughts in training significant others on your weapons... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am wondering what you people here on DC think about training longer term significant others on you weapon systems. We are working out of ...

Thread: Thoughts in training significant others on your weapons...

Thoughts in training significant others on your weapons...

I am wondering what you people here on DC think about training longer term significant others on you weapon systems.

We are working out of moving out of my roommates house and into our own apartment or house, preferably the latter.

She is not old enough to obtain a CCW and may have some things in her past that eventually prevent her from obtaining one (but we will wait and see they were before she was 18).

However I see the benefit to having her trained on the weapon systems I own.

What are anyones thoughts on this subject. She's very intrigued by the SR1911 which might make me buy a house 1911 because I don't go anywhere without mine.

I'm debating taking her to the range and stepping her up to becoming familiar with other firearms. Starting with a small caliber, but god she has small hands and is a small framed woman, I can't imagine her loving the weight on the 1911 but maybe we will see.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    When my wife and I moved in together I made sure she could work the actions and was familiar with my weapons, since she had access to them at that point. Didn't want any accidents.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I know a woman that's 4'8" and under 100 lbs that carries a 45 and is very good with it - don't assume anything about her abilities. Depending on her past, you may want to talk to a lawyer about possession, not just CCW.

Wife has as many guns as me LOL. We train together all the time.

Take with a lawyer. A gun even in the house if someone with felony could be a n issue. Everyone should know about gun operation except kids IMO

My wife can operate all our firearms she doesn't like all of them but she can use them. Her firearm of choice is the LCR with ct grips she handles it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    When my wife and I moved in together I made sure she could work the actions and was familiar with my weapons, since she had access to them at that point. Didn't want any accidents.
    Exactly! If a person has access to your firearms they should now how to safely handle them. Being trained in their defensive use would be good as well, but they should at least know how to clear it and make sure it's safe.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Everyone should know about gun operation except kids IMO
    Can't agree with this at all. Teaching the kids takes the mystery away, and thus the curiosity. I would much rather the kids know how to safely operate a firearm, than have no idea what they are doing - that's how accidents happen. Don't childproof the guns (you couldn't if you tried), gunproof the kids.

Links