Disaster question, throwdown guns

This is a discussion on Disaster question, throwdown guns within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They used to be called drop guns in these parts. They were cheap handguns a policeman might use to cover his rear end to justify ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Disaster question, throwdown guns

They used to be called drop guns in these parts. They were cheap handguns a policeman might use to cover his rear end to justify a shooting. They were never standard issue, just an extra gun, unregistered, someone could drop on a victim to justify a shooting. With the review processes in place now, and the risk of being video'ed at any given moment, drop guns have outlived their usefulness. For a civilian, or a policeman, to use a drop gun is just asking for jail time, imho. Lying in a criminal investigation is really bad news anymore.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Good questions. Maybe the events following Hurrican Katrina are not as well known as I had thought. Gangs of rogue police officers went door to door stealing guns from citizens. My thought would be to keep one of these throwdown gusn out in the open, to give the rogue cops, while keeping your quality weapons well concealed or hidden.And I am fairly certain, that is if these rogue cops decided to steal weapons door to door, another law would not stop them.
    They were not rogue cops. The cops and National guard were ordered to confiscate guns.

Firearm confiscation Katrina - YouTube
    mcp1810 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    They were not rogue cops. The cops and National guard were ordered to confiscate guns.

Firearm confiscation Katrina - YouTube
    Being given an illegal order, and then following it places one squarely in the rogue category
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Part of the issue with Katrina was that the officers and troops were following an order issued by Ray Nagan the mayor of New Orleans. The question of the day was what emergency powers did the mayor have at that time?
    Since then many states, including Kentucky, and the federal government have passed laws specifically prohibiting the confiscation of weapons from law abiding citizens in times of disaster.
    While the legal authority of the original order by Nagan was questionable, any such order today would be clearly unlawful.

I wouldn't worry about it.
    Besides if the jackbooted stormtroopers really want your stuff they will just round up all the FFL's and go thorugh the 4473s and know about everything you ever bought from a licensed dealer. It is also possible that the state maintains a database of all sales and they could just show up at your door with a printout of your purchases.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    While the legal authority of the original order by Nagan was questionable, any such order today would be clearly unlawful.
    In Louisiana you are correct. However, not all states have restricted so-called emergency/martial law powers to the degree that such an order would be clearly unlawful. Congress did pass a law barring federal (and state actors who receive federal funding) from confiscating firearms. The law was originally called "The Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act" (H.R. 5013) but it did not pass. The version that passed, the Vitter Amendment, was actually incorporated into a Department of Homeland Security Appropriations bill (Public Law 109-295):

SEC. 706. FIREARMS POLICIES.

(a) PROHIBITION ON CONFISCATION OF FIREARMS.—No officer or employee of the United States (including any member of the uniformed services), or person operating pursuant to or under color of Federal law, or receiving Federal funds, or under control of any Federal official, or providing services to such an officer, employee, or other person, while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency, may—
    (1) temporarily or permanently seize, or authorize seizure of, any firearm the possession of which is not prohibited under Federal, State, or local law, other than for forfeiture in compliance with Federal law or as evidence in a criminal investigation;
    (2) require registration of any firearm for which registration is not required by Federal, State, or local law;
    (3) prohibit possession of any firearm, or promulgate any rule, regulation, or order prohibiting possession of any firearm, in any place or by any person where such possession is not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State, or local law; or
    (4) prohibit the carrying of firearms by any person otherwise authorized to carry firearms under Federal, State, or local law, solely because such person is operating under the direction, control, or supervision of a Federal agency in support of relief from the major disaster or emergency.
    (b) LIMITATION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit any person in subsection (a) from requiring the temporary surrender of a firearm as a condition for entry into any mode of transportation used for rescue or evacuation during a major disaster or emergency, provided that such temporarily surrendered firearm is returned at the completion of such rescue or evacuation.

Here in NC, the unconstitutional Emergency Powers gun ban was struck down. Effective 10/1/12, legislation will become effective that puts into law a ban from any firearms restrictions during a declared emergency. As a result, anyone coming into my house to seize my guns would receive a very unfriendly welcome.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    DNA analysis has gotten cheap, and will become cheaper. It's nearly impossible to carry a firearm for any length of time without leaving some DNA trace on it from finger prints to shed skin. True "drop guns" are going to be impossible shortly, and recent court cases reversed due to DNA analysis of evidence indicate that anyone who used one recently or plans to do so in the near future is headed for a heap of trouble.

The original poster was talking about a decoy gun. The objection was that the uniformed gun thieves would perform a professionally competent search of the area and inevitably discover any other firearm in the area. I strongly disagree with that latter. I would expect uniformed gun thieves to just do a quick sweep so they could get on with checking other people. Unless something set off their "radar". ("Hmmm, he gave up an SKS, but he also has a bunch of unfired 12gauge cartridges and a bunch of hulls laying in a drawer. We better dig deeper." etc)

Some of you should read this.

New Orleans Gun Grab - Descent Into Anarchy
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

If I remember right it took 5 years to get a small percentage of the guns backs.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Unfortunately my use of the english language did not enable me to truly get across what I meant to ask in this thread.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I move that the phrase "looking for a dancing banana" never be used here ever, ever again.
    Hold on let me upload this video right quick
    pgrass101 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Unfortunately my use of the english language did not enable me to truly get across what I meant to ask in this thread.
    Well, try again.

But I think most understood what you are trying to say.

We just don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    They used to be called drop guns in these parts. They were cheap handguns a policeman might use to cover his rear end to justify a shooting. They were never standard issue, just an extra gun, unregistered, someone could drop on a victim to justify a shooting. With the review processes in place now, and the risk of being video'ed at any given moment, drop guns have outlived their usefulness. For a civilian, or a policeman, to use a drop gun is just asking for jail time, imho. Lying in a criminal investigation is really bad news anymore.
    Oh please. I'd be willing to bet a finger or two that this practice still goes on today a lot more than one might wish to admit to. Just because one runs the risk of being "video'd" at any given moment, doesn't mean it doesn't happen anymore.. if that was the case, shows such as Worlds Dumbest and likes wouldn't exist.. cuz of ya know, the risk of being "video'd" during a crime.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links