Disaster question, throwdown guns

This is a discussion on Disaster question, throwdown guns within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I read about the police thefts of citizen weapons during the aftermath of the Hurricane Katrina, I thought to myself would a "throwdown" gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Disaster question, throwdown guns

As I read about the police thefts of citizen weapons during the aftermath of the Hurricane Katrina, I thought to myself would a "throwdown" gun be useful? Define throwdown gun: a cheap, disposable gun with cheap holster to be worn conspicuously, so that in case of police invasion and weapon theft, you could give this cheap disposible weapon to them, while keeping your real weapon hidden.

Am I the conspiracy theorist? Is this stupid?
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

What is the guarantee that you won't be searched for other weapons?
    tricolordad and phreddy like this.

Would you also have some throwdown cash for the forfeiture youd pay for the felony obstruction? What about a throwdown job? Im sure youd lose it while serving a few years for lying about having another gun. Maybe a throwdown lung would be a good thing too. If cops are stealing guns, whats to stop them from shooting you?

I am assuming that these cops are acting outside of the law as in the aftermath of the Hurricane Katrina. I would not willfully break a lawful order.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

In Tennessee we have laws that prevent our Governer from restricting gun rights during a disaster.

As far as using a cheap gun, why? Would you trust your life to a Saturday Night Special for EDC? Why would a natural disaster be different? Emergency services will be heavily taxed depending on severity of the disaster, so if crime rates increase I want something that is going to be dependable. That is a scenario where I would want one of thoes fancy safe queens.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Good questions. Maybe the events following Hurrican Katrina are not as well known as I had thought. Gangs of rogue police officers went door to door stealing guns from citizens. My thought would be to keep one of these throwdown gusn out in the open, to give the rogue cops, while keeping your quality weapons well concealed or hidden.

And I am fairly certain, that is if these rogue cops decided to steal weapons door to door, another law would not stop them.

Texas has them too and I think Louisiana has corrected that
    ppkheat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I don't see a throw-down gun as being useful at all.

You said " police invasion and weapon theft" so I assume you mean police forcing entry into your home. First, in a disaster situation you should be wearing a dependable sidearm and have a long arm within reach. If the police "invade", meaning without your permission, they will likely search all occupants as well as the house. They will take whatever they find. Your only options would be to resist with overwhelming force (not recommended), or to have a stash or two hidden away where they won't be found without sophisticated equipment or dismantling the house. That would mean that those arms would not be available in an emergency but at least you'd be able to re-arm afterward.

Yes, I believe in the Katrina situation the officers were eventually punished. I don't recall if they arms were ever returned.

No offense to the OP but I seriously was looking for a LOL or dancing bananna after the post. I can not believe any LEO would stop there (seeing a POS gun someone gives up so easily).
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I move that the phrase "looking for a dancing banana" never be used here ever, ever again.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Yes

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

Looks like motion carried.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Would you also have some throwdown cash for the forfeiture youd pay for the felony obstruction? What about a throwdown job? Im sure youd lose it while serving a few years for lying about having another gun. Maybe a throwdown lung would be a good thing too. If cops are stealing guns, whats to stop them from shooting you?
    Actually, in many states, it would be the police who are breaking the law by seizing weapons illegally. In PA (and other states), it is not illegal to lie to a police officer (except while identifying yourself, or if they are a federal officer)...

I think the OP is asking a good question. If you are in a disaster situation, where looting and roving gangs are a real threat, do you really want to be defenseless?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I don't see a throw-down gun as being useful at all.

You said " police invasion and weapon theft" so I assume you mean police forcing entry into your home. First, in a disaster situation you should be wearing a dependable sidearm and have a long arm within reach. If the police "invade", meaning without your permission, they will likely search all occupants as well as the house. They will take whatever they find. Your only options would be to resist with overwhelming force (not recommended), or to have a stash or two hidden away where they won't be found without sophisticated equipment or dismantling the house. That would mean that those arms would not be available in an emergency but at least you'd be able to re-arm afterward.

Yes, I believe in the Katrina situation the officers were eventually punished. I don't recall if they arms were ever returned.
    Many were returned, but most of them were returned years later and were ruined due to negligent storage.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    If you are in a disaster situation, where looting and roving gangs are a real threat, do you really want to be defenseless?
    No.

Neither do I want a Hi-Point or pawn shop special 'throwdown' to depend on.

I want the very best guns I have available.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links