Exterior Home Lighting? Seems like solar might be a good way to go.

This is a discussion on Exterior Home Lighting? Seems like solar might be a good way to go. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently purchased a solar spot light from Home Depot for $10.00 to light my American Flag so I could keep it up overnight. It ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Exterior Home Lighting? Seems like solar might be a good way to go.

Sponsor

I recently purchased a solar spot light from Home Depot for $10.00 to light my American Flag so I could keep it up overnight. It got me thinking about the use of lighting on the exterior of your home as a deterrent for criminals. I think for maybe $100 one could outfit their home with solar panel lighting.

What do you think, is lighting the outside of your home a deterrent for criminals? (always on lights, not motion controlled).

Thanks!
    Clay

I like the way your thinking! I've been considering purchasing spot lights with a motion sensor for the sides of my house, but I wouldn't mind your idea.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Sponsor
    Here is the light I got, worth a shot for just $10.00

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/malibu-...1-0603-01.html

Thanks,
    Clay

(on a side note, I once read about people having a few of these ouside, and then if the power went out they would just bring it inside to have a light source that doesn't require batteries, not a bad idea)

I firmly believe in exterior lighting for security. Light is your friend and an enemy to bad guys. I have dusk to dawn fluorescent lights on the front porch, drive way and side garage door. In the backyard I have 2 sets of motion detector lights. My home is pretty well lit and I think it helps.

PLUS...it keeps my flag lit!!
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

VIP Member
    I bought two solar lights.
    $18 with 36 LEDs for hi and 6 for low. When it senses motion it goes from 6 to 36.
    Got one inside the barn with the panel mounted outside, so when you slide the door to go in the light is already on, then it picks up your motion and goes to high.
    Gonna take the other one up to the cabin for the front porch.
    They work great.
    I'm gonna go get some of the lights you have from the depot for other applications though.
    The reviews were very positive.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Good idea, I like it. Saves electricity and functions well. Does it stay lit all night, do you know?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Good idea, I like it. Saves electricity and functions well. Does it stay lit all night, do you know?
    I think its supposed to provide 12 hrs of light, but I can't remember for sure what the packaging said. I'll let you know for sure tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty sure it stayed lit all night.

My house has floods on every corner but I'm thinking of making them LED to save power
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I think its supposed to provide 12 hrs of light, but I can't remember for sure what the packaging said. I'll let you know for sure tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty sure it stayed lit all night.
    Thanks. I would assume different seasons may affect it as well, for $10 and it doesn't affect your power bill, ya can't go wrong!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Not a bad idea,I tried them. I prefer the 110 volt motion activated flood lights. I have a double bulb unit on each corner of the house.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Cool, but if investing in a bunch of them, I would want some kind of barb at the bottom of the spike to prevent hooligans from pulling them up. I recently saw some that bolt onto the gutter, keeping them out of reach.
    paramedic70002 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I recently purchased a solar spot light from Home Depot for $10.00 to light my American Flag so I could keep it up overnight.
    While technically off topic I want to salute you for caring enough to follow proper Flag etiquette. I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it makes me mad everytime I see a Flag displayed improperly. I guess I need to work on that...
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    While technically off topic I want to salute you for caring enough to follow proper Flag etiquette. I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it makes me mad everytime I see a Flag displayed improperly. I guess I need to work on that...
    Yeah, it bugs me too. Don't want to hijack the thread, but I ragged on my branch bank that had let trees grow up around the flag outside until the flag was obscured from all directions and getting hung up in the branches. Finally a call to the big guy at the main branch resulted in a "Thank you" and all the trees surrounding the flagstaff being cut down.

I haven't been able to keep a motion detector working on my home longer than 6 months. The sun seems to eat them up. Maybe this will work better. For that price I can afford to try a couple.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Lighting in general seems like a good idea, solar and motion sensor too. I have some such at my home. When a sensor light comes on, I investigate. Usually a small animal, wind, or some other benign event, but worth checking out. If the dogs alert too, all the more reason to see what is happening. Always on lighting, the BG never knows if you're looking or not. Best to go somewhere else.

But now let's talk about the downsides.

1. Ground lights can be easily disabled.
    2. Constant on lights may light up your house, but who is going to know or care if someone is prowling around outside? If I'm inside, the blinds are drawn. I can't see out, no one can see in. My neighbors aren't looking at my yard either. Traffic doesn't care and doesn't know if that guy is the homeowner or an axe murderer.
    3. Solar lights, seem like a great idea, but I've never seen any that perform as well or as long as advertised (basing my experience on path lights). So in 6 months or a year, when they are only a few candlepower and die well before bedtime, are you going to keep going back and buying more? Eventually you'll give up on the cash outflow and either resign yourself to failure, or go with another system.
    4. Lighting is only useful at night. Many burglaries these days are during the day when most everyone is at work. Just pull up with a white generic work truck and load up!

I'd rather call lighting just one piece of the security puzzle. Might help, can't hurt. Do a cost/benefit analysis of the different systems and pick what's best for you.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Second to the motion sensors and Led lights!!!
    I have some solar lights the stay on all night. They grow dim after 3-4 AM. maybe sooner in the winter months. We have a big daylight swing here in WI stays light out in June till 9:30 and in Dec dark at 4:30. I think the outdoor lights are a great idea, but with electric bills the Led lights can save money over time.

Lights are just one part of safe home plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links