Guns and Kids, what do you do? - Page 4

Guns and Kids, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Guns and Kids, what do you do? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The safest place to store a gun is inside a SAFE. If you keep a loaded gun anywhere else, and if something goes wrong, then ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Guns and Kids, what do you do?

Guns and Kids, what do you do?

The safest place to store a gun is inside a SAFE.

If you keep a loaded gun anywhere else, and if something goes wrong, then you're going to have a hard time staying out of jail.

About high places or shelves: kids are notoriously curious and good climbers. Just think about all the Christmas presents that they find.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    While I was grateful that she wanted to bring it to me, she found out very quickly what happens when you touch Daddy's gun. Needless to say, she doesn't even think about touching it anymore.
    My Bro told me what he did. He is a a big fat bearded stereo typical looking outlaw biker. He checked his gun to see that it was empty, checked it again visually and manually. Than he set it down where his daughter just learning to walk could reach it. Than hid and watched, as soon as she reached to touch it he came out of hiding screaming at the top of his lungs NO DON'T TOUCH THAT snatched her up and set her down away from the gun repeating don't ever touch a gun. He did it several times but she only tried to touch it the one time. Every other time she moved away from it as soon as she saw it. When his daughter was about six , he said watch this and he set a bullet down in a commonly walked area of the house. We watched covertly each time she approached the bullet without looking at it as she sidestepped it. When she was about ten or when ever they express interest he took his kids out and taught them to shoot. Once they hit the target consistently he had them shoot a #10 can of tomato sauce then had them clean it up. Telling them that if they ever point a gun at one of their friends that is about the amount of blood that will come out of them. Later we would hunt a small game with them so they could experience death and have some tangible understanding of what that really means. Like our kids none of them ever touched a gun without permission and supervision. They are all grown now, waiting to have kids of their own. Like us, our parents, their parents and grand parents they have never ever touched a gun they should not have and have never shot anyone by accident.

IMHO gun vaults are to discourage robbers and thieves when I am away from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    Or do what my father did...make me believe he would beat me to death with whichever gun I had a thought about touching when he wasn't around.
    I did not believe that. I knew it to be an absolute fact, as did my kids.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    This has been beaten to death at this point, but here is one more vote for a safe in the drawer next to the bed. I use a 4 button combination with finger slots that can be operated in the dark; and I agree that it takes practice to perfect opening it in the dark. I have 2 dogs that stay in the bedrooms and an alarm system for the house; this should give me a couple of extra seconds if needed.

I have a 6 year old boy and I can tell you from experience that there is no place high enough in my home to hide a gun. I have watched him build climbing towers out of furniture, boxes and anything else he can find. I do educate him and we review rules frequently. With this said, he is 6 and he makes mistakes.

My kids are my ultimate priority and I can think of nothing more important than keeping them safe. Just because someone in an older generation didn't die in a gun accident as a kid doesn't mean it can't happen to you. The only way to prevent an accident is by planning for the worst. And, before it is said, I know that I need to protect them from BG's as well. That is the reason I have guns, dogs and alarms along with what I have determined are appropriate safety precautions for my family.

In the end, you should do what you think is right.

This is something that we have thought a lot about. So far, my oldest (4 yr) has handled each of my guns after I unloaded them and handed them to him while explaining how to handle them safely with explicit instructions that he is never to touch a gun unless I hand the gun to him. That way there is no curiosity and he understands the rules.

For right now, all the guns are in a safe when in the house, but when I get my CPL. It will be on me or on a self box too high for him to reach.

Just me but a gun safe is for guns you dont want stolen but wont possibly have a quick need for. A simple solution to this problem is when you are there and awake your weapon is on your person.
    At night if you simply cannot be comfortable with the idea of teaching kids to leave the gun alone and you think one may sneak iinto your room as you sleep then a simple fix is this. Mount a shelf on the wall at the head of your bed high enough that standing by your side of the bed you can just reach it. I highly doubt anyone sleeps sound enough that a small child standing on your chest or head trying to reach a shelf that is mounted that high on the wall at the head of your bed wouldnt wake you up. Doubt you would sleep thru having a chair lifted on your bed and sat on your chest either.
    Not as good as right beside you but alot better than fumbling with keys, depending on electronics and finger print readers that may or may not work exactly when you need it too.
    Save the safe for weapons that you want to keep but dont have the slightest chance of needing at a moments notice.
    LongRider likes this.

I use the same thing Ricky D does. Gun vault... if the firearm is loaded its either on my person or in the safe. Keep the bolts of my rifles in there as well.

It plugs into the wall but also has a battery backup. tested its operation 3 hours into a 4 hour outage. Worked like a champ.

I just put my pistols in the air vent in the wall...jk

Yeh a nice safe/lockbox that can if not sit near you..I've got a 1 year old n i dont want that box out where he can play..
    But yeh ,aybe in a dresser or in a nearby closet,just make sure it's not tooo hard to get.

VIP Member
    My son is 3.5 now, and he is able to hold good conversations with anyone and has learned the dangers of firearms. Of course, that doesn't mean I leave them out for him. Between 1 and 2, I took the opportunity to say "Owie!" whenever he got hurt. And that was easy, since a little crawler and new walker will always fall, bump, tumble, or even drop something on his toes. So he learned to associate "Owie!" with anything that hurts. And then I would show him my gun. He would reach out for it and I would say, "No. Owie!" And that's how he would learn to stay away from an object that could hurt him. And when he was old enough to understand explanations, I would tell him why that object was capable of hurting, whether it was a gun, stovetop, kitchen knives or matches. Kids love to know the why behind everything. It's worked out pretty well. I have a baby girl who just started crawling, so I need to do it all over again.

My son's room is upstairs, and I have a swinging-door baby gate at the top of the stairs, so I didn't worry about him sneaking up on me. The GunVault safes are great, too, and allow you quick access to your handgun.
    LongRider likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by drinknshoot View Post
    I just put my pistols in the air vent in the wall...jk
    but seriously.......

DSC00962.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Just because someone in an older generation didn't die in a gun accident as a kid doesn't mean it can't happen to you. The only way to prevent an accident is by planning for the worst.
    Not just some guy from an older generation. Rather it was tens of thousands of families for hundreds of years who kept loaded firearms in their home around children before people started depending on mechanical devices in lew of teaching their kids discipline & respect. Harsh as it may sound the very few kids who got injured during those hundreds of years as a result of not listening, learned respect the hard way. Served as an example to other kids of what happens when they do not respect their parents. Or help cleanse the gene pool of stupid.
    I am not disparaging the use of gun safes, locks or whatever mechanical device you opt to secure your guns with if that is your choice. But there are unintended consequences. The most obvious is they may make your gun unavailable when most needed. More importantly one must remember that no matter how secure, they are not infallible. There is not a lock made that can not be circumvented. Point being that mechanical devices are not a substitute for for teaching respect, discipline and appropriate firearms training. A safe will not stop a child with no respect or discipline from getting a gun. But. Respect and discipline will stop a child from putting their mitts on a gun without permission safe or no safe.

In most states we are free to do as we choose but please remember a gun safe or lock is not a substitute for being a responsible gun owner and parent. Remember a gun safe or lock is not responsible for keeping a gun out of a children's hands, WE ARE.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

My 2 boys are now 16 and 18. Both were eduacated about handguns starting at 5 or 6. They know how powerful a gun is. Both have been to the range, learned gun safety and know they are not toys. In my house, even with all adults, my guns are kept in safes or on my person. Neither kid has any access to guns, and no desire to hunt (nor do I) or get their concealed permits at 21. Thanks to my ex-wife, we have raised two green party, tree hugging, liberals that think the world is full of wonderful people. I'm still waiting for reality to sink in.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links