Batteries: Change them!

This is a discussion on Batteries: Change them! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First let me say that there was no home invasion and nothing warranted the use of my pistol while it was locked up. Whew! So ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By msgt/ret
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By tokerblue

Thread: Batteries: Change them!

Batteries: Change them!

First let me say that there was no home invasion and nothing warranted the use of my pistol while it was locked up. Whew!

So I get up this morning, spend my quality time in the bathroom, get dressed, and then go to open my HOMAK pistol lockbox. Put the code in and it doesn't open, WTH! Try a few more times just to be sure. The lights are lighting as I push the buttons but at the end of the sequence the red light (ooops light) and the green light (opposite of ooops) flashes at the same time. Curses! The batteries must be weak. Neat feature of this box is that it has a couple of contacts on the front to hold a 9-volt battery up to it to supply enough power to get it open. Problem is finding a 9-volt battery without using a ladder to rob one out of smoke detector when you are already running late. Yeah I checked the junk drawer in the kitchen, dang near every battery but a 9-volt. So I spent the morning unarmed and survived. Got a 9-volt battery went home for lunch and touched it to the terminals, entered the code, opened, retrieved my lovely GLOCK 19, apologized, holstered, and retreived the battery pack and inserted 4 fresh AA's.

I know I should be changing the batteries when the time changes but I don't think I've ever changed the batteries in this ( I open it in the morning and in the evening daily) and I've had it about 3 years.

Lessons learned: Change the batteries at least yearly, always have a 9-volt battery on hand just in case, and get up earlier so you have time for crap like this.

How old are the batteries that are securing your home defense gun?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No batteries mechanical locks only.
    OldVet, Poseidon, Badey and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2 months old, will be changing them next month, thanks for the reminder.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd never trust an electronic lock. Almost anything electronic lets me down when I really need it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Should have a backup access with a key,something I'm gonna bet my life on,good thing it wasn't sumpin like this
    Home Invasion gun fight - YouTube
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This is a good reminder.

My husband and I were just discussing this with friends Sat night. They were considering getting a gun and wanted to know how we secure them with the kid's so I showed them the wall safe. Along with the keypad, there's a hidden backup key access. And that's when it dawned on me...where'd we put the keys? When was the last time we changed the batteries? We've decided to change them as it's recommended for smoke detectors - with the time change. I still need to remember where I put the key - I know it was somewhere "safe". I don't want it on my regular keychain, I lose that all the time. My plan is to get one of those wrist keychains to put it on and keep it in or around the nightstand.

VIP Member
    I keep my spare keys in a magnetic HideAKey stuck to the bed rails.
    Lish likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I bought the GunVault Deluxe because it has an AC adapter. The batteries are only used in the event of a power outage. I change them every year.
    10thmtn likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

push_button2.jpg

No batteries for me. I use the K.I.S.S. option. Works better for me with less things to worry about.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Definitely! The minute I noticed that it takes 2 attempts to dial the combo to access my pistol safe, it is a sign that the (8) AA batteries need replacement. And I replace them ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    No batteries mechanical locks only.
    my pistol box has both options, but I always opt for the manual function.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

New Member Array buffalosabres61's Avatar
    My safety instructor had it right:

No electronics! Use a dial safe and do the following:

1. Before sleeping, dial in 2 of the 3 numbers. Therefore, if you wakesuddenly and need quick access, you just have to turn to the third number to open.

2. When you wake up or retrieve your firearm, just twist the dial and others then need to enter all three numbers. This was emphasized because he has small kids in the house.

The one I have, has a back up key that will unlock it if the battery fails.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links