Another 'What Would You Do' Scenario

This is a discussion on Another 'What Would You Do' Scenario within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got a question for those who have educated opinions... First of all, my parents live in a SC neighborhood that has gotten a little shabby ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Another 'What Would You Do' Scenario

Another 'What Would You Do' Scenario

Got a question for those who have educated opinions...

First of all, my parents live in a SC neighborhood that has gotten a little shabby over the years. The kids raised in the neighborhood that were babies when I was in Jr. High School have all grown up and are worse than the generation before them. Just last year an older couple that lived around the corner from my parents' house were brutally murdered by a knife wielding 17 year old. More recently -- An event that hits closer to my scenario -- A next door neighbor's nephew went to someone's house with an AK-47 (an illegal one) and opened fire on a group of boys in their front yard. He missed the thugs he was shooting at and ended up shooting through a mobile home injuring a man and killing his wife and daughter.

With that foundation laid, I wanted to share a situation I found myself in yesterday. I was at my parents' house with my children and heard yelling outside in the next door neighbor's yard. I opened the door to see a very aggressive man walking down the road in front of the house away from the neighbor's house yelling violent threats, implying that he "Had something for them" and that he would come back with a few others to show that he was serious. Of course that was laced with words I don't utilize in my own vocabulary.

Now, my first instinct is usually to call the police in order to prevent the situation, but the response time of the police department in this county is 45 minutes to an hour if they come at all. I was involved in an attempted home invasion when I was 16 and the police didn't come to our house until the next day to get a report, so I'm not relying on calling 911 to prevent anything.

That leads me to my actual question. The situation was resolved without any further threats of violence and the parties involved actually talked it out. However, if it had not been resolved, if he would have come back to wage war on the next door neighbor whose house is 10 yards away from my parents' house, what would have been the appropriate way for me to respond? Everyone is on edge in the community because of the "Missed Shots" that I spoke of earlier that killed innocent people in another home. I had access to a number of my father's home defense long guns such as a legal AK-47, shotguns, and a couple of rifles. Put it in your court; with little possibility of fleeing to another location, would you fire on the threat to prevent the possibility of stray rounds hitting your home and harming your family? If you are an LEO, how could you lawfully respond to that situation?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    First off, a 911 call would be prudent, if for nothing else than liability reasons.
    Your second priority should be to find as safe of place as possible, leaving the area if that is an option. This follows from the idea of the best fight is the one you don't partake.
    If the above fails and you feel the physical threat is imminent, try to get as much barricade between you and the threat. Arm yourselves if possible, but I would reserve it for if the threat comes into your home (castle) and then stop the threat. Preemptive strikes are problematic and will undoubtedly cause legal trouble. Think in terms of AOJ. Now, if bullets are entering your home, you are in immediate jeopardy from deadly force. Note the difference between this and a verbal threat towards the neighbor's property.
    Quite honestly, it sounds like a move out of that neighborhood is in order.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My experience is that calls to 911 prevent little, more of a response afterwards. I'm glad things appear to have been resolved more or less peacefully, but my initial instinct, based on what you described, would have been to call 911 and then grab everyone and bug out until the dust settled. A good time for a family meal at some local resturant.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Call the police and tell them what he was threatening. Tell them of the recent events and they should maybe be in the area, maybe a little extra patrol. Arm yourself with the best weapons available arm others in the house. Is there a basement that you can go to? If he fires toward the other house and you have any inkling he may strike the house you are in return fire from cover if possible, by the way evaluate your best defensive positions before the SHTF. Good luck, hopefully cooler heads will prevail and this is all for nothing.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Moderator
    Call 911, get your family to a safe place, inside (lots a walls for a round to go through) or out of the area if possible. Arm yourself, if something happens be prepared to defend yourself and your family
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPreacher View Post
    Got a question for those who have educated opinions...

First of all, my parents live in a SC neighborhood that has gotten a little shabby over the years. The kids raised in the neighborhood that were babies when I was in Jr. High School have all grown up and are worse than the generation before them. Just last year an older couple that lived around the corner from my parents' house were brutally murdered by a knife wielding 17 year old. More recently -- An event that hits closer to my scenario -- A next door neighbor's nephew went to someone's house with an AK-47 (an illegal one) and opened fire on a group of boys in their front yard. He missed the thugs he was shooting at and ended up shooting through a mobile home injuring a man and killing his wife and daughter.

With that foundation laid, I wanted to share a situation I found myself in yesterday. I was at my parents' house with my children and heard yelling outside in the next door neighbor's yard. I opened the door to see a very aggressive man walking down the road in front of the house away from the neighbor's house yelling violent threats, implying that he "Had something for them" and that he would come back with a few others to show that he was serious. Of course that was laced with words I don't utilize in my own vocabulary.

Now, my first instinct is usually to call the police in order to prevent the situation, but the response time of the police department in this county is 45 minutes to an hour if they come at all. I was involved in an attempted home invasion when I was 16 and the police didn't come to our house until the next day to get a report, so I'm not relying on calling 911 to prevent anything.

That leads me to my actual question. The situation was resolved without any further threats of violence and the parties involved actually talked it out. However, if it had not been resolved, if he would have come back to wage war on the next door neighbor whose house is 10 yards away from my parents' house, what would have been the appropriate way for me to respond? Everyone is on edge in the community because of the "Missed Shots" that I spoke of earlier that killed innocent people in another home. I had access to a number of my father's home defense long guns such as a legal AK-47, shotguns, and a couple of rifles. Put it in your court; with little possibility of fleeing to another location, would you fire on the threat to prevent the possibility of stray rounds hitting your home and harming your family? If you are an LEO, how could you lawfully respond to that situation?
    I think I remember the news story.

As to the incident of somebody walking down the street & threatening neighbors, I would call 911 to express your concern. That's really all you can do since the man was apparently not equipped to carry out his threats at that time. But, making such threats can be considered "assault"; or at the very least "menacing".

If there had been an actual "armed" threat (NOT directed at you), my suggestion would be to seek cover or get out of harms way if possible. Remember the safety of your family is your FIRST priority! So, after you & your family are safe, then call 911.

-

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Quite honestly, it sounds like a move out of that neighborhood is in order.
    I agree with the logic, but it gets a lot more complicated when you think of the sentimental value and emotional investment made to the land. To our family, "Stand Your Ground" means more than just protecting the house from burglary.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I think I remember the news story.-
    Yeh, it was all over the news. The guy was my wife's first boyfriend in Jr. High ages ago.

Yeh, it was all over the news. The guy was my wife's first boyfriend in Jr. High ages ago.
    Sounds like your wife made a good choice some years ago.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Sounds like your wife made a good choice some years ago.
    Well, it was one of those situations where a good kid and straight A student turns bad because of bad choice of friends and lack of parenting.

VIP Member
    I agree with the logic, but it gets a lot more complicated when you think of the sentimental value and emotional investment made to the land. To our family, "Stand Your Ground" means more than just protecting the house from burglary.
    I understand your sentiment. Only you can determine when the risk of the environment outweighs your principles and emotional attachment.

For me, there definitely is a point where I stuff my pride and save my hide.

If he is not after you, get the heck out of there. Out the back door, and away. Under something big and hard to shoot through. Take your situational awareness and whatever self defense weapons you can quickly access. Call cops.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Move your Family OUT of there NOW!!!!,No Matter What It Takes. Sounds like a Toilet Neighborhood and it won`t get any better!. They are in Danger!!!.
    Lotus222 likes this.

VIP Member
    Sad to say it but it seems to be two choices, either move or have a safe bullet resistant type place in the home to hunker down.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    'Thinking about this a little more...

The town that my grandparents lived in when I was growing up, was a wonderful, quaint little town that I always had wishful thinking of gravitating to someday. But times have changed. Back in the '70's, government-subsidized housing was put in, and the crime rate sky-rocketed. Good folks moved out and bad folks moved in. I drove through there on a motorcycle trip last year, and once-beautiful store fronts were now tainted with gang graffiti.

The fact is, that it's not the same town anymore, and me buying a plot of land to install my own personal utopia will not change a thing.

I got off the bike and wandered up to what used to be my granddaddy's old general store. I touched the bricks, said some prayers and saddled back up when the vermin started to linger near my bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links