Don't put your life in the hands of some stranger

This is a discussion on Don't put your life in the hands of some stranger within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recent threads of where LEO's have done a questionable shoot has prompted me to recall an event from last week. My parents live next door ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 9 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 3 Post By gottabkiddin
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Don't put your life in the hands of some stranger

VIP Member

Recent threads of where LEO's have done a questionable shoot has prompted me to recall an event from last week.

My parents live next door and both are in the hospital. It's a small town, and we have somewhat of a public profile, so it isn't any secret that their house is unoccupied.

Last week as I was about to go to bed, I got a call from the security company that the alarm was triggered and that police were on the way. I told the operator that I lived next door, and would be watching for their arrival from my window, and would come out after the officer on scene requested my presence, and I could let them in the house and deactivate the alarm.

Now normally, I sing the praises of our local LEO's, but they sent a dud that night. I won't fault him for taking an hour to get there (he may have been busy). However, after walking the perimeter of the house and finding nothing, he got back in his car to drive off. I turned on my front porch light, and stepped out and waved my arms as he drove by. He never saw me.

I immediately called dispatch and asked him to return and (again) explained that I would like to speak with the officer and have him go through the house with me. I reminded them that I didn't want to be mistaken for the intruder and to have the officer stop at my house (next door). Fifteen minutes later he returned. My parents have a large semi-circle driveway. He parked on the far side of their driveway from my house, in the dark, away from the street light, and told the dispatch to send me out. Now I have to walk through a hedge of tall bushes and across the entire width of my parents yard to the police car, and I cannot see the officer because he's lurking in the dark. I opened up my cell phone so that it gave off the most light, and shouted at the top of my lungs "I am the neighbor next door. I am walking through the bushes bordering the yard to the left of your vehicle". I then walked through the bushes with my hands in the air, very slowly. I then shouted "Please tell me when you can see me" (mainly because I wanted to hear his voice to figure out where the hell he was). He was sitting in his car with the window rolled down. He got out and approached me, I informed him that I was licensed to carry and required by state of SC to inform him, and that I was indeed carrying at the time.

We then went though the house, determined it was a glitch in the system and he went on his way. I think this was just a case of a cop that just wasn't very bright, nor observant. However, it doesn't take any stretch of the imagination to see that if I did not take all of those precautions, I very well could have been the next story headline of "Neighbor shot while police investigated home invasion", and ya'll could discuss whether it was a good shoot or not.

My point is it is that if you want to survive, you often have to think for those around you, even if they are LEO's.

{Edit} Afterthoughts:

This LEO really was a scary dude. From refusing to meet me next door, to parking in the darkest/furthest section from my house. When I was walking across the yard, hollering for him, he wouldn't answer back. It actually crossed my mind, that he might be lining up a shot on me. It wasn't until I approached his car and could see that his window was down, did he get out, still without answering me or saying anything. When he did speak, it was quiet and he mumbled so that it was difficult to understand him. When we cleared the house, he basically just followed me around as I went room to room. I was amazed that he seemed to be indifferent to me being a total stranger to him, and allowing me to stay armed and clear a house with him. Honestly, I would have felt much safer without him behind me, but I figured it was good to at least have a LEO on scene, should I actually find someone in the house.

It just goes to emphasize that you can't rely on that you're getting a competent LEO. There's a bad apple just about every basket, and law enforcement is not immune. Until you are confident that they know you are the good guy, I recommend over-communication until there is some acknowledgement.
    Last edited by WHEC724; September 26th, 2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Added afterthoughts

As in any situation, it's important to be seen as the good guy.

Little different when LE is arriving, as they're responding to a call about a likely crime and violent situation. In such a situation, the last thing a GG wants to do is to appear suddenly and to surprise armed LE. Good reminder, WHEC.
    joker1 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glad it was a false alarm. Yeah, the responding officer sounds like he wasn't taking his job too seriously. At least you were armed and you didn't have to count on his ability to defend and protect.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I think it is sad that we have to think for others, but it is so true.

My wife had surgery recently, and the nurse about pumped 14 inches of air in the IV line into her veins... luckily I got her attention and had her stop the IV... her response; there can't be air in the line, the machine lets me know if there is (yet she didn't have an explanation for how the air was in the line and the machine didn't tell her...). Had I not thought for the nurse, my wife might have died.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As in any situation, it's important to be seen as the good guy.

Little different when LE is arriving, as they're responding to a call about a likely crime and violent situation. In such a situation, the last thing a GG wants to do is to appear suddenly and to surprise armed LE. Good reminder, WHEC.

^^^Echoing my sentiments^^^^^^^^^^^^

Remember the guy who was shot by responding officers in his own home, as they thought he was the armed criminal.

That would be a bad day.
    Glad it all worked out.

Hope your mom and dad begin to feel better.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Smart actions on your part. Glad you didn't become a statistic.

Assume nothing. Take every step with caution and try to remember everything you were taught and practiced.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I think it is sad that we have to think for others, but it is so true.

My wife had surgery recently, and the nurse about pumped 14 inches of air in the IV line into her veins... luckily I got her attention and had her stop the IV... her response; there can't be air in the line, the machine lets me know if there is (yet she didn't have an explanation for how the air was in the line and the machine didn't tell her...). Had I not thought for the nurse, my wife might have died.
    Good catch, Badey! Glad one of you was paying attention.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I think keeping

The condition is pretty serious. I think keeping a huge and tough dog would be a good option to have. It provides complete security and also strangers are afraid to enter such homes. You might like to consider a personal protection dog. I recently bought home one.

Imagine if he is the one investigating your self defense shooting incident.

As Ayoob says, "You can't just ask for a new investigator." You're stuck with the one who shows up. Whether he's good at his job or not. Whether he's having a bad day or not, you're stuck with who shows up.

Just something to bear in mind.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by kathymildrd View Post
    The condition is pretty serious. I think keeping a huge and tough dog would be a good option to have. It provides complete security and also strangers are afraid to enter such homes. You might like to consider a personal protection dog. I recently bought home one.
    It might work in most situations,but if somebody wants to get into your home they will try big dog or not,Thinking that a big dog will prevent a home invasion 100% is flawed,what happens when the dog is inside and your attacked as you get out of your car.just like some people think pointing a gun will scare off anybody and aren't ready or willing to pull the trigger.In most cases a dog will alert you and attack giving you time to grab a gun and defend yourself, if they shoot the dog.
    tundra likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    "I recommend over-communication until there is some acknowledgement." -WHEC724.
    Striking conclusion.
    OTOH, they coulda' sent the entire force, and you mighta' gotten warm and fuzzy with the same conclusion. However, good point avoiding getting painted. It's not paranoia if you're in their sights.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Sponsored Links