Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival - Page 2

Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival

This is a discussion on Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mlr1m No but this assumes that I know in advance that they are coming. Having a weapon in my hand might be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    No but this assumes that I know in advance that they are coming. Having a weapon in my hand might be unavoidable if they show up unexpected.

Michael
    If shots have been fired, an mwag call made, or an activity reported to 911, they will be coming.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    To have a firearm in your hand when the police arrive? We have had some threads lately which reinforce the fact that it is not. When something bad happens, they will be coming.
    Sure, if you want to end up picking daisies.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

In general, if there is no longer a threat then my gun is holstered. Should be easily drawn again if I need it but I think that it's just not worth the risk to keep it out. As soon as LE arrives and before they can get out of their cars is when I'd try to make sure that it's holstered. That's in general but situations are different. Situation specific but I know that if my gun is out when LE shows up, I will be able to feel all of the front sights on me.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

If at all possible I would holster.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Luckily I know all of my local LEOs and they know I carry. This could gain me a little consideration.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Only to those failing to appreciate just how tenuous a situation can be, with armed LE arriving, if appearing to do a good impersonation of a BG at the time.

Part of the responsibility of being a citizen in our own community AND being an armed citizen is to realize the simple calculus of what goes on in a person's head when entering such a situation. It applies to a citizen coming upon someone else who's armed, and it applies to LE when coming upon a situation where someone else is armed ... particularly if called specifically to seek/find the criminal in the area.

Any number of basic, common-sense steps can be done to get seen as the GG in such a situation, such as remaining on the phone with dispatch until LE has made positive contact, ensuring dispatch has a clear description of the players in the situation, ensuring one's firearm/hands are in appropriate position so as to avoid being mistaken for a BG ... and, if the situation requires one to remain armed until LE arrive, ensuring that inbound LE aren't going to be surprised be any "fast" moves that'll prompt them to open fire on a person mistakenly.
    I obviously realize how important it is not to point guns at cops. I thought OP was a snide remark in reference to two or more other threads about citizens being shot by the police. Maybe I'm wrong.

I thought the premise of the OP was so basically simple that it wasn't serious, but I guess it is. The "recent threads" he is referring to are examples of elderly people with hearing loss, and in one case, dementia, being shot.

In my opinion, the type of people who this thread would benefit, are undoubtedly not going to read it, because they are in their eighties and they have dementia. If it actually helps people on this site, then great. Don't try to kill cops...they will kill you back.

Holster your gun and clear your hands unless absolutely necessary to hold BG in check.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I obviously realize how important it is not to point guns at cops. I thought OP was a snide remark in reference to two or more other threads about citizens being shot by the police. Maybe I'm wrong.

I thought the premise of the OP was so basically simple that it wasn't serious, but I guess it is. The "recent threads" he is referring to are examples of elderly people with hearing loss, and in one case, dementia, being shot.

In my opinion, the type of people who this thread would benefit, are undoubtedly not going to read it, because they are in their eighties and they have dementia. If it actually helps people on this site, then great. Don't try to kill cops...they will kill you back.
    It was posed as a question to the people who rag on the police for shooting armed people at the scene when responding to crime-in-progress calls.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    NO,NO,NO,..Hands where they can see them Period. Helps prevent you from getting Shot by a jumpy rookie!!!.
    Ksgunner likes this.

Originally Posted by mlr1m
    No but this assumes that I know in advance that they are coming. Having a weapon in my hand might be unavoidable if they show up unexpected.

Michael
    If shots have been fired, an mwag call made, or an activity reported to 911, they will be coming.
    Agreed but that would be a small minority of the calls that an officer might respond to. Many times they show up and encounter people that have no idea why an officer is even in the area. In the example you just cited I would not be surprised to find police at my home, and would act accordingly. If they were called because a neighbor called them about someone moving around in my backyard garden at midnight I might be caught off guard when an officer walked in while I'm picking a few cucumbers for my evening snack. In that case I would hope the officers training and cool head would prevent an accident.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Luckily I know all of my local LEOs and they know I carry. This could gain me a little consideration.
    I used to think that too, until they sent out an FNG that I'm pretty sure was a few fries short of a happy meal. I'm pretty sure that I would've been a statistic, had I not handled him with extreme care in this thread:

Don't put your life in the hands of some stranger

VIP Member
    I would do my best not to have a gun in my hand. Having said that, several years ago I was holding two guys at gunpoint when about 5 patrol cars rolled up at the same time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I would do my best not to have a gun in my hand. Having said that, several years ago I was holding two guys at gunpoint when about 5 patrol cars rolled up at the same time.
    'Curious about that situation, ppkheat? How 'bout a thread telling us what happened?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Agreed but that would be a small minority of the calls that an officer might respond to. Many times they show up and encounter people that have no idea why an officer is even in the area. In the example you just cited I would not be surprised to find police at my home, and would act accordingly. If they were called because a neighbor called them about someone moving around in my backyard garden at midnight I might be caught off guard when an officer walked in while I'm picking a few cucumbers for my evening snack. In that case I would hope the officers training and cool head would prevent an accident.
    Michael
    Unless you are holding a gun while picking cukes, you have gone off-topic.
    Ayn Rand

Unless you are holding a gun while picking cukes, you have gone off-topic.
    I'm on topic. If someone walks into my backyard at midnight while I am picking cukes I can guarantee that I will have a gun in my hand.

Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links