Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival - Page 3

Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival

This is a discussion on Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mlr1m I'm on topic. If someone walks into my backyard at midnight while I am picking cukes I can guarantee that I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I'm on topic. If someone walks into my backyard at midnight while I am picking cukes I can guarantee that I will have a gun in my hand.

Michael
    So, we have one vote for having gun in hand when the police show up.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Originally Posted by mlr1m
    I'm on topic. If someone walks into my backyard at midnight while I am picking cukes I can guarantee that I will have a gun in my hand.

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    So, we have one vote for having gun in hand when the police show up.
    No, we have one vote for having a weapon in your hand and ready when surprised in the middle of the night by an unannounced visitor when you are minding your own business in your garden. Why would I draw if I knew it was a police officer?

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    No, we have one vote for having a weapon in your hand and ready when surprised in the middle of the night by an unannounced visitor when you are minding your own business in your garden. Why would I draw if I knew it was a police officer?
    Michael
    Why would you draw on anyone who wasn't posing a clear threat to your life or well-being?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Why would you draw on anyone who wasn't posing a clear threat to your life or well-being?
    I wouldn't. Now if someone was attempting to sneak up on me late at night in my fenced in back yard my guard would be up. Depending on how threatened I felt I would at the very least be prepared to draw. If I felt it necessary it would be in my hand.

Michael

It all depends.
    If you are on the phone with the calltaker and have told them from the get go " I am holding one at gun point." and stay on the line with them until officers arrive it could be no big deal.
    If you follow the advice of some internet gurus who say stuff like "Don't tell the operator anything." or just say "Send the police." and hang up it is a good way to get yourself either proned out and cuffed or shot by an officer.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

This happened to me...

My renter called and said her estranged husband was drunk and coming over to the house to kill her. I had her call 911 and I stood in the driveway with my 12g.

The husband shows up and I tell him not to move. The cops show up and I begin to wonder if the wife told them I was armed...

The LEO draws his weapon and I tell him right away I'm armed (he couldn't see me very well - night time and behind a car). He tells me to lay the shotty on the ground and approach him with my hands up; of course I complied.

Seems the wife did not tell them I was armed, so the LEOs had no idea who the BG was. It was quickly cleared-up and hubby went to jail.

I was not going to let him into the house and hurt that woman and those kids!
    OldVet and joker1 like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Ahhhhhhh....FINALLY...it's been said....WHY would you draw on anyone who wasn't posing a clear threat to your life or well being? With that being said, IF they are posing a clear threat to your life or well being, and you have drawn, then WHY haven't you STOPPED THE THREAT? Why in the world would you discuss holding someone (BG) at gun point? IF you have stopped the threat, then there is no need to have your weapon still in hand when the LEO's arrive...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Three simple rules for having a gun in your hand when the police arrive.

1) Do NOT! have a gun in your hand when the police arrive.

2) See rule 1

3) See rule 2

I think a more realistic question is what to do with the gun in your hand as you hear or see the police arrive.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Three simple rules for having a gun in your hand when the police arrive.

1) Do NOT! have a gun in your hand when the police arrive.

2) See rule 1

3) See rule 2

I think a more realistic question is what to do with the gun in your hand as you hear or see the police arrive.
    As soon as the threat has been stopped or fled, holster your pistol, keep your hands in the air and wait for them to give you instructions.
    ericb327 likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Bad Idea unless it can't be avoided. I've instructed friends and family to let dispatch and 911 know I am armed and give my exact description as well as circumstances. like.... he's holding the criminal at gunpoint E.T.C.
    This response makes the most sense to me. If in the rare occasion you are drawn down against a suspect, it would be rarer that it has not been called in and someone has not explained circumstance.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

here in Tn it is illegal to use your weapon to protect property or possesions outside the home, yes it is retarded. By statute a weapon can only be used outside if imminent threat of bodily harm or death. Tn has a castle law and the statutes spell it out that if an individual gains entry to the home ( illeagal and uninvited ) the presumption is he intends to do bodily harm, therefore deadly force may be used to stop the threat.
    Under our laws I see no legitimate circumstance to hold someone at gun point, as the same statutes allow " brandishing charges " to be brought. No requirement to notify the officer you are armed unless asked. This notify LEO has been beat to death elsewhere, 2A or not common sense if not respect should dictate telling the officer you are armed and where it is. LEO's just want to go home safe every shift, they have no idea who is who when arriving on scene most times. weapon holstered is the only prudent action, notify, and hand placement would be real good ideas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Ahhhhhhh....FINALLY...it's been said....WHY would you draw on anyone who wasn't posing a clear threat to your life or well being? With that being said, IF they are posing a clear threat to your life or well being, and you have drawn, then WHY haven't you STOPPED THE THREAT? Why in the world would you discuss holding someone (BG) at gun point? IF you have stopped the threat, then there is no need to have your weapon still in hand when the LEO's arrive...JMO
    Stopping the threat and dead can be 2 different things. Maybe you've stopped the threat but now the BG is curled up on the ground and you don't know if he's still armed or has other weapons. I would think keeping a gun trained on a still squirming BG is prudent unless you are certain he's incapable of doing more harm. Hopefully you've called the police and gave them your decription or stayed on the line until the police arrive. Hopefully they give you directions before they start firing and hopefully you comply. I know there's a lot of hope there but I'd hate to think I've stopped the threat then have the threat whip out a knife and poke me with it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It depends. I may be holding the BG at gunpoint, or there may have been other BGs involved. But I would put it away when the police arrive, and hopefully have told 911 I was armed.
    This. Preferably "Reload, holster and sit down". Its going to be a long night.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links