Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival

This is a discussion on Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To have a firearm in your hand when the police arrive? We have had some threads lately which reinforce the fact that it is not. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Gun in Hand Upon Police Arrival

VIP Member

To have a firearm in your hand when the police arrive? We have had some threads lately which reinforce the fact that it is not. When something bad happens, they will be coming.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Negative... NO. Holster the rosco and keep the hands clear... Simple as dat.
    mprp likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It depends. I may be holding the BG at gunpoint, or there may have been other BGs involved. But I would put it away when the police arrive, and hopefully have told 911 I was armed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I think that in most situations this would be the wisest course. However, if I've got a BG at gunpoint, I'm not putting it away until LEO is onsite to take over the situation.
    gottabkiddin and msgt/ret like this.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Senior Moderator
    If possible I would not have a gun in my hand when the poliec arrive. The situation will dictate that, but if I can choose I would rather not be holding a gun when they get there.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Does Anyone Believe It Is A Good Idea ... To have a firearm in your hand when the police arrive?
    Nope. It's about as good a way as I can think of to masquerade as an armed criminal, when LE's arriving to seek out the armed criminal they were called to apprehend. Bad juju, no matter how you slice it.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Does Anyone Believe It Is A Good Idea ... To have a firearm in your hand when the police arrive?
    No but this assumes that I know in advance that they are coming. Having a weapon in my hand might be unavoidable if they show up unexpected.

Michael

Good chance if you do they will take it and good luck getting it back.
    Here even if you done nothing wrong once in a LEO hands you may have to go to court to getting returned.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It depends. I may be holding the BG at gunpoint, or there may have been other BGs involved. But I would put it away when the police arrive, and hopefully have told 911 I was armed.
    This, just keep them informed when you call.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    This thread is a joke.
    Only to those failing to appreciate just how tenuous a situation can be, with armed LE arriving, if appearing to do a good impersonation of a BG at the time.

Part of the responsibility of being a citizen in our own community AND being an armed citizen is to realize the simple calculus of what goes on in a person's head when entering such a situation. It applies to a citizen coming upon someone else who's armed, and it applies to LE when coming upon a situation where someone else is armed ... particularly if called specifically to seek/find the criminal in the area.

Any number of basic, common-sense steps can be done to get seen as the GG in such a situation, such as remaining on the phone with dispatch until LE has made positive contact, ensuring dispatch has a clear description of the players in the situation, ensuring one's firearm/hands are in appropriate position so as to avoid being mistaken for a BG ... and, if the situation requires one to remain armed until LE arrive, ensuring that inbound LE aren't going to be surprised be any "fast" moves that'll prompt them to open fire on a person mistakenly.
    WHEC724, joker1 and msgt/ret like this.

I'll be dual wielding my gats and doing tactical barrel rolls. I'll have my CC badge, sash, t-shirt, and molle vest on so the police will recognize me as one of the good guys, after all the 27 bad guys will be horizontal. It'll take some time to convince them that I am not SWAT. After marveling at my skillz, setting appointments for their training, and advising them of the number of body bags they're going to need I may holster at least one of my pistols if I feel they have the sitch under contol.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Bad Idea unless it can't be avoided. I've instructed friends and family to let dispatch and 911 know I am armed and give my exact description as well as circumstances. like.... he's holding the criminal at gunpoint E.T.C.
    ccw9mm and msgt/ret like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

One of the tips Massad Ayoob suggests is, if possible, to have someone be "out front" to meet/greet arriving LE, so that nobody gets mistaken for the wrong person ... particularly if the GG is going to have a firearm out and trained on someone at the time of arrival.

There are times that it can't be avoided. In those times I can only hope that the officer is not trigger happy.

EDIT: Such as when a neighbor might call to report a prowler or when police just happen to notice a strange light in your back yard.

Michael

If possible then no, I don't think it's a good idea. If you're holding the BG at gunpoint there may not be a choice but I'd be sure to let dispatch know on the phone who is who and AS SOON as they arrive on scene and say to put the weapon down you bet your butt I'm putting it down. If the BG jumps up and runs at that point they can chase him! Although if I truly need my firearm I'm not going to ask someone to surrender. If they do in that split second, great, but otherwise if I know they are on the ground and no longer a threat I'm going to place my weapon on the ground or in the holster and have hands clear when LEO's arrive.

The one time I had to call 911 was for a medical emergency for my son, not a self defense situation, but throughout the call it was "ma'am, do this, ma'am, how is he now? ma'am, the officers are close. ma'am, they've arrived." I'd like to belive that I'd have that heads up they're coming on scene - if at all possible I'm not putting down my cell with the operator!!!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links