Driveway alarms

This is a discussion on Driveway alarms within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the process of trying to choose one. Where do I start and what to look for? Need a 1000 ft of range. Thanks...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Driveway alarms

Driveway alarms

In the process of trying to choose one. Where do I start and what to look for? Need a 1000 ft of range. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

1,000 ft. range? That's going to be a pretty tall order as far as wireless, if that's what you're looking for. For wireless, take a look at these Wired and Wireless Driveway Monitors but i would also check with any of the home alarm companies and see what they have or can suggest (I've gotten a wealth of information from asking the actual workers from the cable company when I see them at the gas station filling up their vans, ).

My Staffordshire Bulldog & German Shepherd offer almost exactly 1000 ft. of wireless driveway warning. You just gotta' watch their eyes & ears. The Shepherd also offers a audible alarm & long-range recon , the Bulldog doesn't bark at all & seems most efficient as close-support. *(Please excuse the semi-highjack, but I have complete & total confidence in my K9 driveway system.) Good Luck!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Driveway Alarm Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 57 View Post
    In the process of trying to choose one. Where do I start and what to look for? Need a 1000 ft of range. Thanks
    Tough call, there are a lot of different models. I'd recommend this article - Choosing a Driveway Alarm

Never used one of those but at one time I was getting paranoid about some unwanted visitors when I was away. I live on a farm with a driveway about a quarter mile long and I experimented with trail cams alot. If your concern was for only when you were away it is not a bad system.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Your biggest issue with one that long is the Radio System will not work and how do you power it where it is (other than solar), then if it is a wired system how do you do lightining surge protection before it comes into your house. Remember you have a 1000 to 2000 foot antenna that can bring a lightning surge into your house and may blow out all of your sensitive electronic equipment. I would do a fully wired system with power and lightning protection just outside of the house. The issue here is finding someone who can do this the right way. I work for one of the largest Wireless Systems Provider and have seen all of these issues. You really need a Top Level Technical Company to do this. Good Luck.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Texting

I just got an email notice from the company I bought my driveway alarm from that they've now got a unit that can send me text messages just by adding it to my existing system, seems a bit pricey but it would mean I can be anywhere on my property and get notification, no more range limits - SWITCHSPOT Dry Contact Sensor -

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Stretch a tripwire across the driveway; listen for the thud.
    Sarge65 and pipedream like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    CWA2000 | Chamberlain Wireless Motion Alert | Home Security Store

I have this system and bought an additional six sending units they are placed around the ranch house and each has a number tone so I know the area being disturbed. Took down a mountain lion in my sheep with this system. The home base is plugged in but has battery capabilities. The remote units use a 9volt and I replace them once a year. I also have a separate system for when I travel . I put the remote in my car and plug in the unit at the motel room. Works well and very reasonable. My first sensor is well over 100 yards and works fine. I do have a problem with spiders once in a while getting infront of the lens but not often enough to say it is a problem.

Bill

Update The above web site is old new site http://www.chamberlain.com/clicker-a...s-motion-alert up to 1/2 mile coverage

What are you trying to monitor, vehicles or people, also?
    If it's vehicles (and deliverymen with pallet jacks or 2-wheel carts) I use this. I have a base unit and two handhelds. All the receiving units double as walkie-talkies. I tried infra-red motion units and kept getting false alarms for some reason. I had it mounted in several positions, too. Sometimes in a severe lightning storm the magnetic probe will trigger, but it just got rebuilt/upgraded and has been fine this year. I've had the whole thing for about ten years.
    Dakota Alert Wireless Security Equipment

I 2nd the chamberlin system been using it for years works great has 600 to 800 ft range

This is the one I've been happy with: Skylink Products | Garage Door Openers and Accessories | Home Automation | Wireless Security / Alert System | Emergency Dialers | Swing Door Opener |

The remote is a battery powered motion sensor at the entry gate. The base unit is AC. Signals are wireless. I run mine about 100 yards.

The only complaint is the Alert beeps cannot be changed or shortened. Darn things always beeps 12 or so times.

Distinguished Member
    Just run it shorter distance. The difference between 1000 ft and 500 ft of warning is minimal if walking and only seconds if someone is driving.

It will also be more reliable, less chance of it being screwed with and when it goes off, you will know somebody for sure has breached the perimeter.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I installed the Chamberlain CWA2000 2 weeks ago. It supposedly has a 1/2 mile range from sensor to receiver. Both of my sensors are roughly 80 yards from the receiver and work great. The dogs already know to head for the driveway when they hear the alarms.

Links