Where do they find these people???

This is a discussion on Where do they find these people??? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, my wife and I were in gun heaven (A sporting goods store with over 400 firearms to choose from) today looking for a good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Where do they find these people???

Where do they find these people???

So, my wife and I were in gun heaven (A sporting goods store with over 400 firearms to choose from) today looking for a good revolver for her first concealed carry pistol. She was looking at a Rossi .357 but she thought it was a little heavy. The guy behind the counter directed her to the LCR in .357 and she really liked the way it felt as opposed to the Rossi (Yes!!!). The guy (A CWP holder and instructor I believe) began to give her a little self defense advice and then talked with her about learning to shoot in the dark and gave her some tips on how to train a little for it. That was cool, I thought it was wisdom to know how to shoot in the dark; a little random but cool. However, the conversation quickly goes down hill from there when he tells her that the .357 will put someone down on the first shot every time even if she hits them in the top of the shoulder (While I have no interest in caliber wars on this thread - C'mon, really??? Every time???). He proceeds to tell her that if she shoots someone more than twenty feet away it's illegal no matter what. His solution? Drag the guy onto your front porch, turn him over and shoot him again. WTH???

Now, being the good Christian man I am I declined to tell him how asinine that entire line of instruction was and took my wife out of there. Once we were in the car I gave her a lengthy debriefing and decided not to ever come into contact with that man again. Where do they find these people? and how do they become instructors?
    tcox4freedom and GeorgiaDawg like this.

2. Remove Ads

However, the conversation quickly goes down hill from there when he tells her that the .357 will put someone down on the first shot every time even if she hits them in the top of the shoulder (While I have no interest in caliber wars on this thread - C'mon, really??? Every time???).
    He was clearly mistaking a .357 for a .45 acp.

Michael

It's un-Christian to disagree with people?
    NMB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    He was clearly mistaking a .357 for a 10mm.
    Fixed
    mlr1m and tcox4freedom like this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    An instructor of what???
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    He was mistaking the fact that a near miss from a .357 will turn a BG inside out

Michael
    Fixed it for you, everyone knows that a 110 gr .357 round flying with in 10 feet of a BG will knock him down.
    mlr1m likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

He was clearly mistaking a .357 for a dirty look from anyone who owns a firearm.

Michael
    There, I realllly fixed it.

Honestly I would have told him to please never attempt to give advice on personal defense to anyone ever again.
    miller_man and JDE101 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Fixed it for you, everyone knows that a 175gr 10mm round flying with in 10 feet of a BG will knock him down, kill him, cut him into pieces small enough to cook in the skillet, and bury his hide, bones, and other unwanted bits.
    Fixed it better.
    atctimmy and mlr1m like this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Ok, given the other, ahem, advice, what choice advice did he have for shooting in the dark?

Getting the impression she's a fairly new shooter, so I'd be leery of a .357.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Not at all...What I was thinking about that guy and wanted to say was unChristian.

VIP Member
    Ah yes those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of us that do. Seriously though when I run into those types I just give them an uh ha, uh ha and thank you very much. It is very doubtful you will disprove their vast knowledge. And as far as the 38 vs. 357 I personally would not feel under gunned with either although in a very low light situation I would prefer the 38 over the 357 due to reduced muzzle flash but that is only me.
    tcox4freedom and FLArmadillo like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPreacher View Post
    The guy (A CWP holder and instructor I believe) began to give her a little self defense advice and ...

... he tells her that the .357 will put someone down on the first shot every time ...

He proceeds to tell her that if she shoots someone more than twenty feet away it's illegal no matter what. His solution? Drag the guy onto your front porch, turn him over and shoot him again.

Where do they find these people? and how do they become instructors?
    Where are such people found? On every street corner. Didn't you know that?? Head to Wal-Mart, and you'll find dozens. Perhaps that's where they breed.

Christian. He was a "mall ninja" sort, believing the myths and rumor (aka, his religion) that have kept him relevant.

If he's an "instructor," then I'm a SpecOps tactical warfare expert on steroids. Good news is, he instructed you on what you needed to know: get better instruction. Kudos to him, for that at least.
    JoJoGunn, JDE101 and darkstar11 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

What, Gecko45 is back to selling guns?
    FLArmadillo and JDE101 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Ok, given the other, ahem, advice, what choice advice did he have for shooting in the dark?
    Haha, well he literally said, "Go outside and shoot the trash can in the middle of the night." I'll retract my former statement that the conversation went down hill after that advice. It started going down hill way before.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Getting the impression she's a fairly new shooter, so I'd be leery of a .357.
    She's not a new shooter at all, but new to the idea of carrying. She is in love with my dad's Rossi .357 with a 4" barrel and thought she'd like a Rossi as well. She's a tough little chick. However, the 2" snubby .357 is just too heavy for her to carry around everywhere. She has since moved on from her romance with Rossi and is in the Luger revolver camp.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links