It was almost go time...

This is a discussion on It was almost go time... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Crazy false alarm I just had this evening. I was sitting on my couch reading a gun magazine (I'm a little interested in guns ) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: It was almost go time...

It was almost go time...

Crazy false alarm I just had this evening. I was sitting on my couch reading a gun magazine (I'm a little interested in guns ) and I hear what sounds like male voices outside my front door. I threw down the magazine and listened to see if I was just hearing things. I heard it again, so I run into my bedroom where my wife is asleep, grab Mossy from under the bed - Buckshot in the chamber - Grab my phone to dial 911, walk to the end of the house where my children are only to realize that the sound I was hearing was my three year old sons snoring. It took a minute to come off of the high but I learned something about my body's reaction to a perceived threat. I also noticed some things to do differently next time this happens.

Things to do differently:
    1. Wake up the wife and have her call 911 while I secure the children and prepare for the impending home invasion in our safe room. The police should have already been here by now and on their way back from the false alarm.

2. Move more and freeze (To listen) less. Moving is better than standing still unless you're standing in a bed of snakes.

Things to know about adrenaline:
    1. Breathing is important; hyperventilation can occur. Breath through the situation while moving to a safer place or securing your family.

2. There is significant hearing loss when blood rushes to the head. A tactical disadvantage.

3. You will be tempted to stand still and wait for trouble before you act; don't fall for it: ACT NOW!

4. Maneuvering with a firearm is difficult because of the lack of fine motor skills.

I realize there's probably a lot more that people of this forum could haze me about for the situation. However; ALL in all I'm still alive and my children are still ok.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

2. Remove Ads

My oldest daughter talks in complete sentences in her sleep, so I've been there as well. Just as I am nodding off, I will her sometimes start arguing with herself. Takes me a good hour to settle down where sleep is a possibility.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

You're ahead of the curve - you weren't passed out and your initial reactions were to protect and defend your family. Your actions were sufficiently damped to allow time to digest or interpret the perceived threat and distill it down to what it was. Good learning experience, and apply the fine tuning as you suggest.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Not trying to haze you, but why is it you equate male voices outside with a threat? - since it was actually your son snoring, you couldn't have identified the "voices" as being threatening and it's not like someone was beating on your door/window. If you wake you wife every time you "hear something outside" or someone knocks on your door, you won't have to worry about waking her much longer and the police will stop coming, or not near as fast. If it was a home invasion, any gun you weren't wearing just might not be any good to you. In your house, stopping behind actual cover is better than moving, generally speaking. Chill out before you give yourself a heart attack.

A critique? You did OK. With you heart rate up and police called you assesed the situation and found no threat that warrented a response with your shotty...... Now you know what to listen for.

Your young'un suffering with fall algeries?
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    That is a lot of drill over a snoring child.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Consider switching to a de-caffeinated coffee.

No, no, no, I'm just kidding and picking at you a bit. Seriously, nothing wrong with a "dry run", it's good mental exercise. You are apparently diligent about protecting your family, and when you have innocent children in your home it ramps you up another notch.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I must say that you did get mighty amp'ed up.

It is not at all unusual for me to investigate an odd sound or check out what my dog barked at. I'm able to do it safely and routinely because I'm not operating under an adrenaline dump.

In addition to your lessons learned here, I'd add that cooler heads will prevail.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    We have nothing to fear except fear itself . . . and that snoring kid.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Not trying to haze you, but why is it you equate male voices outside with a threat? - since it was actually your son snoring, you couldn't have identified the "voices" as being threatening and it's not like someone was beating on your door/window. If you wake you wife every time you "hear something outside" or someone knocks on your door, you won't have to worry about waking her much longer and the police will stop coming, or not near as fast. If it was a home invasion, any gun you weren't wearing just might not be any good to you. In your house, stopping behind actual cover is better than moving, generally speaking. Chill out before you give yourself a heart attack.
    I understand your argument, but hearing what sounds like deep voices outside of your door at 12am in this neighborhood is not the norm and not to be shrugged off. According to my own first hand experience in the past, if you hear voices outside at that hour of the night, the next thing that will happen is someone busting through the door. There had been a string of robberies and home invasions near the area in the past and we were burglarized a year back while away from home. With that said I was not "amped up" without cause. As a matter of fact, I'm never amped up. I'm the most relaxed person that I know, even during car accidents. It's different, though, when you have your family's safety in mind. With the bedroom doors closed in this house the sounds seem like they're coming from different angles and can be distorted often, and my sons don't normally snore. A great combination for a hearing mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Your young'un suffering with fall algeries?
    Oh yeah

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Do you have a dog? If not, getting one could help in this type of situation. A dog would not be alarmed by your son's snoring, but would most likely bark at the door if someone was there.

Please don't shoot the trick-or-treaters. Halloween is just around the corner.

I think you acted appropriately for a real threat, and came away with the proper mindset. However, I do think you were a little over zealous in thinking what the threat really was.

I've lived in some pretty scuzzy neighborhoods and it takes a little more than hearing some non-discript voices outside to break out the artillary and call the calvary. That's not to say to simply ignore something you can't readily identify, but if you jump to code red at every bump in the night, you're give yourself a heart attack.

A couple things you can do to become better prepared to fend off an invasion is to harden your castle a little. Fortify your doors a little so they aren't easy to kick-in and carry a pistol on your person at all times.

I always have at least a pocket pistol, in my pocket at all times inside the home. My doors are not going to be simply kicked-in, and I have safety film on all windows which can be a point of entry.
    tcox4freedom and bmcgilvray like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I had a similar experience long ago with a radio alarm clock. Forgot all about it until just now.

Distinguished Member
    Ya, reinforcing your doors and windows, making it a lot harder for someone to just bust in, will give you a lot more peace. One of the best things I did for our home.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links