My friends just got robbed while they were sleeping - Page 2

My friends just got robbed while they were sleeping

This is a discussion on My friends just got robbed while they were sleeping within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes the security issues are being addressed as well...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: My friends just got robbed while they were sleeping

Yes the security issues are being addressed as well

Glad to hear the tools only took tools (couldn't help myself)

And glad to hear that your friends will be better equipped to protect themselves next time.

To the OP: I would keep my head on a swivel. Many of these burglars tend to target the same neighborhood for a while, especially if they were successful the first time. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you aren't already aware of, but just puttin it out there...

Also, you should assist you neighbors in anyway you can to become responsible gun owners. As we all know, just buying a gun and a box of ammo, and then throwing it in the nightstand drawer doesn't make you safers. I don't know your relationship with these folks, but inviting both of them for a couple of range days would be a friendly gesture and quite helpful. You never know when you may need to rely in them to have YOUR back as well.
    Hoganbeg and mprp like this.

My dog is a sissy,but she will investigate and run back and jump on the bed while she is looking towards the threat.I keep my doors locked 24/7,had a friend had her purse on the table by the back door,perp saw it thru the window and when she left the room he entered thru the back unlocked door grabbed the purse and took off,she came back door was open and purse was gone,it could have ended up even worse.Unless you have a chime that sounds when a door opens,and family members call out everytime they enter or leave then I would lock them.It's too easy for thieves to sneak in and steal stuff without you realising it until later
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A typical thing in some of these types of robberies / burglaries, is one "armed" person watches the people sleeping while the others are stealing the stuff. Then, if they wake up , their job is to take them out of the picture...... keep them at gun point or shoot them. So, it may be a good thing they didn't wake up during it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

That whole scenario is very unnerving indeed.......just the thought of a strange person in one's home watching you sleep is enough....never mind being robbed.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Hmmmm.......a burglery while the people are home and asleep is pretty ballsey......IMO.....what if they infact woke up.....what then....?
    THAT'S the deeper question. It sucks this happened. Watch your six for the next few weeks and have conversations about and then make a range trip.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Always lock the door between the home and garage!!!!!!!!!! Always lock all your doors when you go to bed!
    And make sure the lock on that door is a dead bolt lock.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by NMB View Post
    Always lock the door between the home and garage!!!!!!!!!! Always lock all your doors when you go to bed!
    Keeping them locked all the time may seem paranoid to some, but if nothing else it should slow down anyone attempting a home invasion. Dead bolts on all exterior doors, including the one to the garage.
    Being armed at home never hurts either.
    As I sit here typing, I'm only "lightly" armed. Just my BUG.
    RichB70 likes this.

Yep, my 30lb Mini Aussi Shepard is our Alarm Dog, my 110lb lab is the muscle. No one can get close to our doors without us knowing. Plus the camera system, and then the Glock and a flashlight.

That actually happened to me as a child, guy broke in while we were home, turned out to be the guy that delivered our paper. Freaks you out.

There's nothing wrong with a "friendly dog" but there's a such thing as a dog that's friendly to its owners and close friends of the owners, so its not like you have to "feed your dog gun powder" or anything like that. Just train it to be suspicious of those it doesn't know and be willing to defend on such case.

I'm glad your friends were not harmed. Things could of gone a lot worse. Robbing a house while people are home is pretty damn brazen, even if its at night.

I'm also glad that your friends have since decided to arm themselves. A lot of burglars will hit the same spot twice (or others nearby) IF they were successful the first time. Now, it they return they will be met with force and quite possibly pay the ultimate price for their stupid mistake(s).

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Well looks like a few other homes in the development were hit too. Same tactic. We live a few towns over, but I called the alarm company yesterday to expand my system.

For those on a tight budget, like me, there are a couple of simple things you can do.
    I bought a baby monitor at a yard sale for $1.50. I keep the base unit in the living room, out of sight. I have the receiver on my nightstand. I can hear everything going on downstairs. If there is a semi loud noise, it comes out of the monitor loudly.
    I also bought a small battery powered travel alarm. It has a motion sensor with as range of twenty feet. I placed it at the halfway point on the stairs. Leading up to my room. The little thing is friggin loud!
    My wife and I also have two small Bischons that LOVE to bark at strange noises!
    Before I go up to sleep at night I check and lock all doors and windows.

Certainly not the best system but for now it works.
    skew12 likes this.

I'd still get an 'alert' dog. Even a gun owner cannot afford surprises.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good setup CharlesMorri! People are always so concerned about the cost of an alarm system and there are many that are much cheaper. One is really paying for the monitoring, but as you have done, there are plenty of ways to alert ones self for very nominal costs.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links