Checking out noises/upset dog

This is a discussion on Checking out noises/upset dog within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have lights on 3 sides I can convert for motion. I need to do those and get one on the fourth side. Thanks for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Checking out noises/upset dog

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    We have lights on 3 sides I can convert for motion. I need to do those and get one on the fourth side. Thanks for the pointers!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My guess is going to be 4 legged critter. Motion sensor lights would be my first option.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    The vicinity directly around my house in fairly well lit. But, out in the horse paddocks & around the out-buildings it's dark. Typically, I say keep your gun in the holster unless you're pretty sure a real threat could be encountered.

If I'm in bed I'm not dressed to keep my weapon holstered. So, I usually carry close retention. The 1st thing I do is walk through the house looking out the windows at all the lit up areas around the house. (This allows me to cover a lot of ground without revealing my position or leaving the safety of my home.)

Next, if I think going outside is warranted, my PP trained pit goes out first to clear the first area close to the house where danger could hide. Then, I follow his lead because he can hear & see things I cannot even with a flashlight.

Out here we just can't go calling 911 every time something goes bump in the night. Just last week something spooked our horses in the middle of the night. This caused them to run through our fence & come running around our house. (I'm sure our sheriff's department would have appreciated us calling 911 only to find our horses were out.)

-

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses so far and any future ones. I just want to clarify that I don't really consider calling 911 at the first bump in the night to be an option, but I know that I have seen that advice given before, not necessarily in these circumstances. As all have said, it would quickly get old, and the police won't get here very fast anyway.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I live out in the country a bit. I do have neighbors but we're spaced out with about an acre apiece.

Every now and then while watching a movie or talking in the kitchen after the kids have gone to bed, our shepherd mix will suddenly run out the dog door and start barking her head off, or I'll hear a sound that doesn't belong in the house.

Since I've started carrying around the house, I'll usually draw my gun and keep it pointed at the ground while carefully investigating in the house, then if the dog is upset outside, I'll grab a flashlight and carefully check over the patio walls, fence etc.

Since reading here and elsewhere, I'm starting to think maybe this is a bad course of action, both from safety and liability standpoints. My question to the many seasoned people here, especially LEOs, is, what should I actually be doing?

The police are few and far between here, and I think it would be a bit ridiculous to call 911 every time we hear something go bump, or the dog barks at a passing animal. On the other hand, I don't want to just sit in the living room or kitchen waiting for someone to present themselves.

Suggestions?
    As you explore, learn the sounds of your environment and soon you will be able to ID all of usual sounds and ignore them at will. It will not take long to know when something is "out of place", it may even be too much silence.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    I send my dog out first. If there is someone in my back yard that should not be there, the screaming from that person will let me know.
    That's what I do too. My one dog is a Shepherd/gigantic something mix. Just his size will scare you.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    There's not a right or wrong answer to this. It depends on you, your surroundings, time of day, type of noise you heard. Personally, when I hear a noise right outside my house at night, I grab my firearm, bring my flashlight and check it out (after ensuring all windows and doors are closed and locked.) I prefer to take 2 minutes to find out what the noise came from instead of sitting inside looking out my windows for an hour trying to figure it out, but that's just me.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

My dogs varmit bark is totally different than her people bark. Maybe I can speak lab just a little but I can tell when to get concerned.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    My dogs varmit bark is totally different than her people bark.
    My dogs have different barks too. If they growl - that means real trouble...
    aus71383 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    set up motion activated perimeter lights pointing out from the house,turn off all interior lights that could silhouette you,one problem with walking around with a light source is if it's a BG they will know where you are before you spot them,if they are armed and want to harm you you will be at a disadvantage,I would secure doors and windows and observe from inside in the dark while he is blinded by the security lights,most thieves will run if they lose the cover of darkness especially on motion activated lights.I keep a loaded shotgun ready besides my pistol
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    Ditto on all counts. We have open lawn all around the house, landscaping is kept knee-height or lower (no hiding places for BGs), doors are locked and alarm is on every night, barking dogs are in yard and motion lights are mounted on every side of the house.

Get within 30 yards of the house and you will find yourself spotlighted with barking dogs around you.

You are also in range.

99% of nighttime barking is from roaming varmints - mostly cats.:rolleyes:

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^

We are in a farming community, and neighbors only on one side.

If the dogs begins barking, its one of the cats roaming, a skunk,possum 'coon, coyote(s) or the like.
    If she stops barking, they have moved on, and after a fashion I will make sure she is still safe(and no one has killed her to get to us).
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by RAC55 View Post
    I'm in the process of setting up my HD weapon with a good tactical light and maybe a laser so I don't have to carry a flashlight in my other hand. I want both hands free to have a secure grip on the weapon while searching.
    I don't necessarily agree with this line of thinking. Personally, I would not use a flashlight mounted light for "investigating". I would rather use a flashlight in your off hand. You don't want to be pointing your weapon at anything you don't intend to kill. During your investigation with your flashlight mounted light, you may find someone you don't want to kill, but your weapon will be pointed at them and bad things can happen when you you get startled. I would wait to use your flashlight mounted light until you have already identified a threat. Just my opinion of course.
    bergeror likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    I send my dog out first. If there is someone in my back yard that should not be there, the screaming from that person will let me know. My dog is a German Shepard. If it a critter diging up my wife's flowers, well the dog will take care of that too.
    ditto. When you live in the sticks, your dog has to be an asset, not a liability.
    The type of dog you want in the sticks may be the exact opposite of the kind of dog you want in a neighborhood.

I used to send the dogs out to investigate, coz it's reeeeal hard to hide from them! Mine probably won't take any bites off anybody, but I will know what's up by the tone of their barks. Used to have livestock to protect and 99% of the bumps in the night were raccoons and stray dogs trying for a midnight snack. The dogs go out, critter runs off, or, doesn't make it, no problem. The dogs act suspicious, guns are drawn and a couple of times 911 was called. Once determined that there was a person around, I withdrew, and went inside. Not gonna shoot someone over my junk or a chicken dinner. I like to stay out of sight in the dark too, the dogs' noses will direct my eyes where they need to be. But I carry a flashlight bright enough to light someone up across several acres, or blind someone up close.

Now that I live in a neighborhood, I opt to stay inside. So many people so close by and perfectly within their rights to be there, if nothing comes crashing into my house we don't worry about it. Takes the dogs about a week to get used to a new neighbor or new vehicle on my street.

Depends on where you live, and how much you trust your dog.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links