Don't keep tools in your garage - Page 2

Don't keep tools in your garage

This is a discussion on Don't keep tools in your garage within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At least if they use the circular saw to cut open your door, you'll hear it and have plenty of time to get prepared!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Don't keep tools in your garage

VIP Member
    At least if they use the circular saw to cut open your door, you'll hear it and have plenty of time to get prepared!
    pittypat21 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I would have responded earlier but I was busy stuffing all my tools into the trunk of my car and then shoving it all into my gun safe in my closet.

So what does your instructor suggest, a commercial storage locker? That's convenient when I need to mow the lawn or trim trees.
    Ksgunner and blitzburgh like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

That is exactly what happened to my buddy's father. Broke in to his garage while he was out of town, axed the door to the house in, and then found out that there was nothing to steal since he was in the process of moving.

RKM
    Couldn't they simply bring their own tools? They often do.

Distinguished Member
    I don't have a garage, but I keep several garden rakes scattered around the yard as part of my "three stooges home defense system". - "THWACK!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    As you are trying to break through the steel door between my house and my garage you are going to come face to face with my gun as you enter. How about people think to secure their garage and house instead of makes our lives hard. Go ahead and try to case my house for a few days lol. You will know you never know when someone is home. My retired husband ( who can shoot pretty darn good lol ) seldom leaves. My son is in and out all the time. I am the only one who can be gone for a couple of days at a time visiting friends in another part of the state. I carry at all times soooooooo there really isn't a time you won't get shot if you come into my house uninvited. Was my old xbox or the even older tv really worth it lol.
    No, most homes don't have enough valuables in them to warrant break ins. It is risky business. This is America, there are 300 million guns here, and nobody wants to get shot breaking into a home for a tv or $1000 worth of jewelry. But if a professional criminal or a competent adult (Let's just say for the sake of argument that some ex military type wanted to break in to a home. I'm not trying to disparage the military, but just pointing out that there are tons of people in this country who have unique skill sets because of prior service, and it's just an example.), they could easily do it. Easily. Your house can be cased.

And the whole point of casing the place is to find any easy mark. It's good that your place isn't easy to break in to. If some guys are driving around a nice neighborhood planning to break in to a home and seeing what's available and they see a 48 year old guy with USMC tattooed on his forearm come out to get the newspaper and walk his rottweiler every morning while his Chevy Silverado with a gun rack sits in his driveway, coupled with the fact that he hardly ever leaves and his schedule is unpredictable at best, then they are probably going to go to the next block and find a house where nobody is home during the day except for a jack russell terrier.

And my whole point is - why would some guys break into a garage and use some tools to get through a sturdy door when every house in America has glass windows.

The only way into my garage is through the garage doors. No other doors or windows. No windows in the garage doors. My monitored home security system also had sensors on my garage doors. If someone gets into my garage, I'll know before they have time to do squat.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

the way they break into garages with automatic door openers is by sliding a wire above your garage door thru the rubber seal. now the wire has a hook bent on the end, so they push it till it catches on the manual release cord hanging down just in from the top of the door, then they slowly pull till it catches the knob. one slight pull and your garage door opener is bypassed, then they just lift your door, SOLUTION, TAKE THE KNOB OFF, then they cannot pull it. hope this helps someone,
    BugDude likes this.

Or you can use a small ziptie to tie up the latch but still break if you need to use it in an emergency

ITS Tactical has video on Youtube about it.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

VIP Member
    Let's change this. Yes there are some tools in my garage that would make it easier to break into my home than it would be without them. (Of course any burglar knows what he needs and they're in his hand when he comes up to the house.) But there is also a vehicle or three in the garage. Crashing that into the house would make it even easier to get in. So I suppose I shouldn't park in the garage any more either.

The garage also holds my lawn mower. If you remove the blade from the mower you could use that to pry open a door or window. So I guess I can't keep the lawn mower in the garage any longer either.

There are plant boxes in the yard made out of timber. You could use those to break a window or batter open the door. I guess they have to go.

Is this the same class that taught the students to make statements that make people believe they are the police while using force? I don't remember if the OP came from the same person, but it sounds like about the same logic.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

If you ask my wife, anyone trying to get around in my garage is likely to break their neck. Never thought about it before but I guess I can claim all the junk is a home defense system.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyG View Post
    If you ask my wife, anyone trying to get around in my garage is likely to break their neck. Never thought about it before but I guess I can claim all the junk is a home defense system.
    Stop encouraging the husband lol. We went from having two separate garages to a 2 1/2 car garage and work shop. There is a path for me to get to the fridge in the garage, most of the time lol. I have to move things to get to the Christmas decorations and my camping stuff on the shelf's. There is no mess in the garage but the darn thing is full of tools and such. I almost killed myself running into a table saw one time. If someone broke in it would be a death trap lol.

I have a dream: one day I will be able to park my car in the garage lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    I have been in home construction for 37 years, this thread bekins the question, how do you keep the BG from geeting into your home? If they want to bad enough, they will figure out a way. Homes may be our castles, but there not built like one...
    speak for yourself..... My house has a moate surrounding it with a drawbridge to cross the moate and crocodiles patrolling the water.

They gotta break into the garage with tools to get tools to break into the house,So far your "Instructor sounds like he came up with a bunch of stuff to make himself sound smart,but He;s not doing a good job IMHO,if this is the same guy that had you yelling out "POLICE get on the ground" and then claiming your not impersonating an LEO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I solved the problem by storing my tools, etc., in the bedroom and moving the bed to the garage...
    minimalbrat likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links