Don't keep tools in your garage

This is a discussion on Don't keep tools in your garage within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In my recent Street and Vehicle Tactics class, the instructor said that a common tactic of BGs was to break into the garage (usually much ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Don't keep tools in your garage

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Don't keep tools in your garage

In my recent Street and Vehicle Tactics class, the instructor said that a common tactic of BGs was to break into the garage (usually much less secure) and then use the tools in the garage (like an ax or power tools) to break through the house entrance.

Made me think about all the garden tools and general tools I have stored in my garage.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

But seriously, that's what garages are for. Where else are you going to keep tools? Maybe try to secure your garage more efficiently, but think about it, how hard is it to break in to a normal home? All you need to do is case the place for a day and wait until nobody is there and then break a window with a rock.

All of my tools are kept in my basement.

As you are trying to break through the steel door between my house and my garage you are going to come face to face with my gun as you enter. How about people think to secure their garage and house instead of makes our lives hard. Go ahead and try to case my house for a few days lol. You will know you never know when someone is home. My retired husband ( who can shoot pretty darn good lol ) seldom leaves. My son is in and out all the time. I am the only one who can be gone for a couple of days at a time visiting friends in another part of the state. I carry at all times soooooooo there really isn't a time you won't get shot if you come into my house uninvited. Was my old xbox or the even older tv really worth it lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Using that thought process you will end up in your closet with all of your belongings and valuables with rifle at the ready to defend against the bad guys.

Seems to me that you have to weigh the value of having some security at the garage and total lack of trust for any barrier protection. Why not instead, enhance the barrier security of the garage?
    miller_man, msgt/ret and skew12 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Or cutting torches or high speed steel saws by the gun safe too.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Hey, just saying.....something to think about. Jeeezzz
    Richekay likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I use have used tools in my garage to break into my own house before! Once they are in they will have planty of time to breach your door regardless.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

The BG breaks into my Garage he is probably going to hurt himself in the dark, besides my garage is not a part of my house..
    pgrass101 likes this.

VIP Member
    My garage door is open nearly all the time I am home, but it is secured with motion detectors, video cams that
    also pick up sound, and a steel door between it and the rest of the house.

It is the only real storage we have and so it is the only available place for storing tools.

Most homes here have some sort of attic entry, often from the garage. That should be kept locked to keep
    BGs from getting into the attic and hiding there, then dropping down through the ceiling.

More importantly, those should be kept locked to keep playing children from getting from the garage into the attic where
    the could get badly hurt---and do significant damage to your furnace and AC.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Or cutting torches or high speed steel saws by the gun safe too.
    Great, now I have to find ANOTHER place to store them......
    pittypat21 and pgrass101 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Great, now I have to find ANOTHER place to store them......
    Another gun safe?
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    My garage isn't the average peg board shrine to "The Toolman", but it is where the tools live and is 200 feet behind the house. Two large roll aways, 7 welding machines, saws, grinders, sanders, etc. I do lock up the cutting heads and bolt cutter in the roll aways, but it might be worth it if a thief uses a gas torch to cut into the powder locker.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    We keep the kitchen utensils in the garage, and I go next door and borrow the neighbors crap.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have been in home construction for 37 years, this thread bekins the question, how do you keep the BG from geeting into your home? If they want to bad enough, they will figure out a way. Homes may be our castles, but there not built like one...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links