Riot defense discussion

This is a discussion on Riot defense discussion within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There were "riots" here at WVU after we won at University of Texas. There were 35 fires, some cars torched, and a few light poles ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Riot defense discussion

There were "riots" here at WVU after we won at University of Texas. There were 35 fires, some cars torched, and a few light poles torn down. I don't live where the fun was (police in riot gear, tear gas), but there were a few incidents in my neck of the woods. I got out a folding chair, cracked open a cold one, and enjoyed the burning couches from my porch with my AR inside the door....just in case.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Something I have often wondered about when reading or listening to reports of citizens arming and barricading themselves in their homes or places of business. It seems when honest citizens do this both the media and the government, police, will quickly point out that citizens cannot in most cases use deadly force to protect property. My question has always been this. What makes the media and police think that the rioters are not breaking in to kill me? That they are only there to loot?
    Would a citizen be wrong to assume that a rioter breaking into their home or business is there to kill them? That the citizen is not shooting because a rioter broke his windows, but that he shot because he believed the rioter broke the window in an attempt to get at the honest citizen? That he was not defending his property but that instead he was protecting himself?

Michael
    Even though I live out in the country if someone is breaking my windows or trying to kick in the door I will be in fear of death or grave bodily injury and will take appropriate action to defend myself.
    niks, CLASS3NH, mg27 and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    During the LA riots the Korean store owners took up positions on their roofs with ARs. The 223 at that angle aren't much danger to others once they hit the pavement. Their stance was that the rioters were there to burn them out, kill them and their family's. It seemed pretty effective to me. When the riots turned their way they would turn them back with a couple of well aimed rounds into a lawn area. I had friends in law enforcement that were on loan to LA county. The rioters pretty much ignored them but gave the Koreans a wide berth! DR
    mg27 and BigJon10125 like this.

VIP Member
    Riot defense? My best advice is don't live near rioting folk.

If your given a 'heads-up' that rioting is imminent and your anywhere the line-of-sight of this, either bugging out or hunkering down.

Bugging out: You gotta get outta Dodge RIGHT NOW....... IF you can at all. Driving out with the family is a risky venture at best but distance is your friend, time is not.
    Grab what you need to survive for a couple-few days and bail. Again, IF you can at all. A full tank of gas and a B.O.B. and you and yours are outta there inside of five min.
    Bugging out takes forethought and planning.... gotta have your medications, cash, and basic essientials to 'make it through'. Refer to the various 'Bug Out' threads here and look over a few of the Youtube videos on that subject. Cut the chaff and use what you know you need.

Hunkering Down: Bugging out is not an option or just way to risky of one to chance...... ID a 'safe room' and get those you can in there with a phone. You very well may be standing a parameter watch for the next few days. A rifle or shotty is essiential. Your sidearm won't be enough. The same basic rules for staying in just as in bugging out, keep the essientials close and be ready to bail just in case. Make no mistake, there are no second chances and a mob of rioters will loot your stuff and burn you out without any thought or care at all. God forbid they get ahold of your women-folk.

These are very broad-range thoughts and by no means cover any real specifics. My knowledge of this comes more from Katrina than LA or Mo-Town. My wife had similar lessons-learned from the Liberty City riots down in Miami back when.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    Well...during the G-20 Summit in Pittsburgh there WOULD HAVE BEEN major widespread rioting but, the Police presence was so incredibly massive that rioting was reduced to some sporadic incidents.

Check out some of these pics in a Google search by images
    http://www.google.com/search?q=pitts...w=1366&bih=665

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    to prepare...for what?

you heard "talk"...of what?

the only discussion Ive heard of folks rioting becuase Obama loses, is from conspiracy theory websites.
    e eleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    seriously bro, nothing is gonna happen. At least not related to the election.
    While I'm no fan of infowars making that comment about this particular story doesn't really work. This isn't the opinion of the "journalists" at that organization have come up with. Rather they used comments made on Twitter to back their statements. While I'd say the chances are slim, it isn't something that should be dismissed. There will be some of these people that think that acting a fool is the exact right thing to do if their chosen one doesn't win the election. It would be foolish not to be prepared and ready for such stupidity. Maybe only one riot will actually happen across the whole nation. But it could be in your neighborhood. Since I live about 10 feet from a college campus in the most liberal part of my state it is something I've thought about. I'm not going around worried about it, but acknowledging the possibility ensures that if it does happen I won't be caught flat footed.
    Phillep Harding likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Why would you have to prepare for a riot?

Do you not always keep half a tank of gas in your car?

Don't you always keep sufficient guns and ammo on hand to repel boarders?

Don't you have at least a couple of weeks of food and water put up?

You don't have to be an extremist but having an ample supply of necessities to last you a couple of weeks should be part of everyday living. There isn't a big warehouse in town with all the necessities. Everything is trucked in and if there is a disruption in the supply lines everything will be exhausted in a day or two. If electricity fails, the water supply will only last a few hours.

Jim
    Last edited by GentlemanJim; October 16th, 2012 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Spelling

Civil unrest can happen. It is doubtful that it might be election related, but another serious financial crisis or outright market crash may have a domino effect on the normal supply chain we all live with every day. If market shelves empty and gas stations have no fuel, or the electricity or water no longer work, then the very thin thread of civilization will break very quickly. Most people have no defense against this nor any idea of just what they would have to do in order to survive.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm going to defend my home and family with everything at my disposal. I won't go looking for trouble, but I can make anybody trying to get to me and mine pay very dearly.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The only rioting I have to worry about around here is a few rioting cows or horses if they get loose. Amish people usually don't riot....

Living in the Detroit metro area I have had the pleasure of watching 4 Stanley Cup winning Detroit Red Wing teams since 1997. Funny how not a single one resulted in a riot despite well over one million celebrants:

Parade_Full_street3904_t800.jpgparade 3.jpg

As others have mentioned sports victories don't cause riots, criminals do and last time I checked Detroit doesn't have a monopoly on those.
    No real change to my strategy. I may tune things up a bit. Revaluate my food stores. Finish clearing the shooting lanes in my back yard. Apply a fresh coat of pee to my punji spikes. Just another day in the D...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Caertaker; October 16th, 2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Remove picture of Chicago
    marinevet1994 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations James Madison 1788

stay home, keep the lights off.

keep your firearm locked...but ready.

what more can one do?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I guess it depends on the situation. I'm prepared to repel some boarders looking for a fast looting; I'm not prepared to repel hundreds of determined, angry, armed boarders intent on burning my house to the ground. Fortunately, I don't live in an area that might be "riot prone." Should the worst case scenerio appear on the horizon, I'm more likely to bug out and let the insurance company handle any losses. I built this castle; I can build another.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Pythus, why are you trying to start a political/racist argument? To get the thread shut down?

If you want to argue politics, head over here:

Conservative Stronghold

That place needs a good dummy to kick around.

Most of us live where we can live, where we can afford to live, and sometimes that is in or near concentrations of idiots. Unlike such unbridled perfection as yourself, we deal with what we have to instead of putting ourselves on a pedestal above it all and worshiping our own perfection, the way you have ever since showing up here.

Infowars is full of paranoid kooks, but they keep their eye on the horizon for the first sign of trouble. Some of them spotted a trend on Twitter (which rioters in other countries are using to coordinate riots and murders, and rioters in the US have been using to coordinate flash mobs), indicating the possibility of riots has increased. The original question was "How do we deal with riots?".

You might not be aware, or care, that people were living in apartments above some of the stores burned out in the various riots. Great place to hunker down and try to avoid drawing attention, and get cremated. Are you going to say "Oh, that's okay. They should have moved."?
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Living in the Detroit metro area I have had the pleasure of watching 4 Stanley Cup winning Detroit Red Wing teams since 1997. Funny how not a single one resulted in a riot despite well over one million celebrants:

As others have mentioned sports victories don't cause riots, criminals do and last time I checked Detroit doesn't have a monopoly on those.
    No real change to my strategy. I may tune things up a bit. Revaluate my food stores. Finish clearing the shooting lanes in my back yard. Apply a fresh coat of pee to my punji spikes. Just another day in the D...
    You might want to re-check your pics. I found a West Washington Street in Ann Arbor, but none in Detroit.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links