NJ - Pistol Permit Question

This is a discussion on NJ - Pistol Permit Question within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So as I stated in my Hello thread, me and my Fiancee are working on getting our firearms permits. Well I am, in NJ you ...

Thread: NJ - Pistol Permit Question

NJ - Pistol Permit Question

So as I stated in my Hello thread, me and my Fiancee are working on getting our firearms permits. Well I am, in NJ you apply for your Federal ID then pistol permits and so on. So I am getting finger printed thursday and am excited! But heres my question.

I want to see if my Fiancee can get her Federal ID and pistol permit. Because we both like to shoot. Problem is she suffers from PTSD... its a personnal issue. Either way.. I am wondering if they will deny her for her application?

2. Remove Ads

Without knowing any more details someone that simply suffers from PTSD most likely will not be denied a carry permit. I base this on question 11f and instructions for 11f on the BATF Firearms Transaction Record form..
    http://atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Federal ID? Not sure what your talking about. There is no federal ID for guns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I didn't know NJ had permits!

Maybe Im using the wrong terminology? In jersey we register with the Federal government to own a firearm. Its called the Federal Purchase ID card. http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf After that we wait our time.. they do a background check, actually call the references and decide whether or not we should get to own a Firearm.

Basically it asks on this form if the applier has been hospitalized for a psychological condition which she hasnt, but it asks if she sees a psychiatrist on an outpatient basis which she does. Its in my opinion anyone who suffers from PTSD should see a psychiatrist to have someone to talk to. However, Im just wondering if anyone that maybe has had a similar situation has gone through the same thing in NJ and how they worked out. I jusr dont want her to apply for this, and get rejected. It would most likely upset her. It isnt her fault she suffers from this condition.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Federal ID? Not sure what your talking about. There is no federal ID for guns.
    That was going to be my question too.

If the PTSD is a condition she has that is known to and diagnosed by a mental health professional, it could be a sticking point. Pay strict attention to question 11f on the 4473 and then if the answer to that question is yes (of course what is a lawful authority...perhaps a military psychiatrist) then see if she can answer no to question 11f based on the exceptions. An answer yes to any question that needs an answer no will automatically stop any firearm transaction. If she has been cleared under the "Exception to 11F" she needs to answer no as stated in the exception paragraph. Here is the secondary problem...If she has been cleared with some sort of documentation by Exception to 11F she needs to discover what she is to do next. The BATF or the Firearm Transaction Center in NJ may not be aware that the PTSD has been determined to be a historical footnote in her life. If she is not sure how to answer 11F she should consult an attorney before she says NO to 11F. Nothing beats the scene of the NJSP rolling in on you at the local gun shop because of an answer she gave incorrectly.

If, of course, she has never been treated for PTSD or been hospitalized, or diagnosed, then the answer would clearly be NO. BATF is not concerned with folks that self diagnose.

In short, making an error in answer on a 4473 is kinda like pulling the trigger, expecting click and hearing boom.

BATF is funny about this stuff...as long as the folks that count say your safe and okay, that is all the exceptions, then they say fine...we think you are okay too. It may just delay things but a wrong answer won't delay...it will make them worse.

Links