Mobile ammunition stock

This is a discussion on Mobile ammunition stock within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bugging out from an approaching hurrincane? Maybe an extra box of ammo. A complete breakdown of society? Everything I can....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mobile ammunition stock

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bugging out from an approaching hurrincane? Maybe an extra box of ammo. A complete breakdown of society? Everything I can.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I'm more in line with Actimmy's thinking: minimalistic.

Get a 2nd handgun (either 9mm or .22, and let the gf carry it), two boxes of .22, one box of 9mm. 50/50 on leaving the shotty at the destination, but no more than 20 rounds of buck for it if you carry it.

Do you have a reason for having two .22's? I'm assuming both are rifles. One would be plenty for a relocate, and I'm thinking it would be useful for removing a sentry or prowler without drawing attention from a mile away. Yes, I mean what would normally be considered "murder".

You are trying to slide through slick and easy, not pull a military recon, search and destroy patrol. Loading for running gun battles will just bog you down so you are more likely to need running gun battles to get through. In this instance, the best way to win is to not need to fight.

Wow there are a lot of great thoughts here! I'm definitely going to go out and buy a few ammo cans for each ammo and waterproof my long term stores. I'm definitely not thinking as an extreme scenario as some have mentioned, but best to Plan for the worst! I was thinking more along the lines of natural disaster, civil unrest such as what is being seen in Greece, water shortage etc... My stores are going to be oriented towards defense of the family from looters and .22 for food gathering. I'm also going to be hitting up some gunshows to look for spare mags for the sigma and the .22 rifles! Here's another question, would the next logical buy in this scenario be an AR? I've been looking into the smith M&P...

A very good skill to have in a situation like that is the ability to reload your ammunition and cast your own bullets. If your cases are well taken care of, your stash can quadruple in size!

Buying an AR logical? Spock says heck yea!!
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Buying an AR logical? Spock says heck yea!!
    +1. Having some sort of semi auto rifle is a bid advantage. Be it an AR, AK, Mini or other type, it will certainly come in handy in a pickle.

VIP Member
    You might want to make a trip to a local Army/Navy Surplus store. Pick up a military duffel bag to pack your things in. They hold a lot, but with the carrying strap are quite manageable, and they're not that expensive.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    Wow there are a lot of great thoughts here! I'm definitely going to go out and buy a few ammo cans for each ammo and waterproof my long term stores. I'm definitely not thinking as an extreme scenario as some have mentioned, but best to Plan for the worst! I was thinking more along the lines of natural disaster, civil unrest such as what is being seen in Greece, water shortage etc... My stores are going to be oriented towards defense of the family from looters and .22 for food gathering. I'm also going to be hitting up some gunshows to look for spare mags for the sigma and the .22 rifles! Here's another question, would the next logical buy in this scenario be an AR? I've been looking into the smith M&P...
    No. Your next logical purchase is water and food (in that order). Have a supply on hand so you won't have to go looking for it when everyone else is going crazy trying to find some. Stock up on both items then replenish your supply as you use it. Drink and eat the oldest stuff first. How much should you have? Only you can answer that. How long do you want to go without having to scavenge or hunt for food?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Since your concern is "the end is near" you might want to trade your car in for a semi.......
    In a more serious vein, Can your car realistically make the 300 mile drive without refueling? Or at all?
    Can you safely carry extra gas cans if necessary? Depending on the circumstances, even a big fire or bad storm, you might not even be able to buy gas.
    Just something else to consider.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    .22 ammo is good, small and light weight. Shotgun ammo is fairly light, but bulky.

I would go with the people suggesting that you store what you might want at the destination, and travel light. The likelyhood of needing >100 rounds of defensive ammo is pretty small. I would have as much as possible, but segregated. One storage bin ready for the car with as much as you can fit ammo, water, food, tools, supplies. Then, plan a backpack more carefully with weight as the primary concern. If the car breaks down or you have to leave it for some reason, you need the bag with everything you need ready to go. And hiking 300 miles with 40 lbs of ammo plus other survivavl gear would not be fun.

Definitly second the gas can idea. Even if your car can go 300 miles on one tank, having the ability to collect more, transfer, barter or sell additional gas is crucial. You could also use it as an explosive, or just a firestarter. In an emergency, gas can=good.
    Walk softly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links