Mobile ammunition stock

Mobile ammunition stock

This is a discussion on Mobile ammunition stock within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, Im in the process of stocking up on some ammo and putting together a BOB. Im currently in college and in an apartment ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mobile ammunition stock

Mobile ammunition stock

Hey all,

Im in the process of stocking up on some ammo and putting together a BOB. Im currently in college and in an apartment with the gf and my situation is that if there is some type of disaster, civil unrest etc.. our first move is to grab the guns (9mm sigma, 12 gauge pump, and a couple .22's), the bag, and head either to the parents acreage or the sisters farm. My question is how much ammo should I be stocking for this type of situation? Many of you guys are lucky enough to be able to stock up the castle but my ammo store needs to be pretty mobile because any that doesn't come with me is just gonna stock up the BG looters...

Thoughts?

I'd have a brick of 22's minimum, some 9 mm (250 rounds) and 12 GA (250 rounds). Small enough to carry easily, enough to get you by. Having said that, the more the better, but college budgets are college budgets......

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

1000 rounds 9mm and 22, as many shotgun shells as you can fit. my thoughts. don't forget the first aid kit, some mre's, multiple ways to start a fire, and water purification tablets.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

How much can you reasonably transport? How long or how far will you have to travel?

Fortunately, your range of ammo is pretty narrow with just 3 types. I'd say maybe 4 bricks of .22, at max a case (500) of 9mm, and for the shotgun 50 rounds of buck, 10-20 slugs, and a few boxes of birdshot (like 7-1/2s) if hunting is at all a possibility. All that would fit into a volume about the size of 2-3 shoeboxes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks for the quick input!

The trip to the parents is the farthest we would have to go, looking at about a 6 hr, 300 mile drive. Right now I have an approx 2.5' by 1' canvas duffle bag that im thinking will be pretty much devoted to ammo and a few small tools (leatherman, flint and tinder, etc...) but I also dont want weight to be a huge issue thinking of potential car break down, having to hoof it with the ammo situation.

My store right now is;

9mm: 150 rnds +2 mags at 16 rnds a piece
    12 gauge: 50 rnds 7 1/2 load, 20 rnds 00 buck (reduced recoil), 10 rnds 3" magnum buck, 10 rnds slugs
    .22: Approx. 700 rnds of various .22 including mini mags, subsonic, federal auto match, etc..

Im obviously still expanding as budget allows, but I was just looking for thoughts and how much would be adequate of each type of round and still be pretty mobile

better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. 300 miles is a long way. 1000 rounds of 9mm weighs about 40 lb. 1000 rounds of .22 weighs next to nothing. not sure on the shells. get a larger pack. with shoulder straps and a chest strap in case you have to walk.

can you fix cars? if you can put together a tool box separately and keep it next to the backpack.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Can you pre-stage any ammo at the relatives homes? I'd collect as much ammo as I could afford, if the car breaks down then slim down the load as needed.

Thanks for all the good ideas! I think my plan at this point is to get a good size yet easily transportable stockpile at the apartment and as funds become available the next time I visit the parents property Ill purchase more ammo there and store it. I'll just have to hide it away in a closet so it doesnt get used up at the range by family members haha. I have other family that shoot and are gun owners but none seem to see the need to have any more ammo on hand then is needed for the next range trip

Administrator
    but I also dont want weight to be a huge issue thinking of potential car break down, having to hoof it with the ammo situation.

What you are going to want to do is transport the main bulk of your ammo so that it's wrapped and waterproof.
    If it's waterproof you can cache some or most of it if your vehicle breaks down and you hafta hump your stuff.
    That way it will still be in pristine condition when you get a chance to go back for it.

You can carefully wrap your cardboard or plastic ammo boxes in heavy duty Aluminum foil. Seal the Aluminum foil with that super sticky Aluminum metal tape.
    Then wrap that with a big sheet of clingy Saran Wrap and then pop that into a Zip Loc bag and zip the bag almost all the way shut and then suck the air out (yes, with your mouth) and then quickly zip it the rest of the way shut.

That way you can bury those in the ground and months later your ammo will still be completely dry and in perfect condition even if the ground gets repeatedly wet.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Go to your local big box hardware store and get a large heavy duty container/toolbox (preferably water tight) that has wheels and a handle. Load it with as much ammo as you can afford, pull easily and lift without help to get it into your car.

Also, pack your gear and as much ammo as you can reasonably carry in your BOB and on your person. Assume that you might have to walk the 300 miles so plan for this.

Speed is important when traveling so you might be forced to ditch the rolling ammo supply if traveling on foot. If this happens and time permits, try to find a place to stash the ammo...You might be able to retrieve it at a later date. Try to find places that someone else might not think of looking or might not initially go...bury it somewhere maybe in a cemetery, sewers, drains, maybe in the middle of an open field with tall grass and weeds. Don't stash it anywhere near food, shelter, water or fuel (gas or wood).
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Since your concern is "the end is near" you might want to trade your car in for a semi.......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

My Thoughts:
    Assuming that you normally carry the 9mm: 2 fully-loaded, spare magazines in your glove box; 1 loaded spare magazine on your person; 1, of course, in the gun. 115 Grain +P JHP in the magazines (make sure it functions well in your pistol). Ball ammunition (FMJ) for the 9mm is relatively inexpensive, so buy that for your bulk and to reload with. 100 rounds should be under $25.
    If your shotgun has a plug in it, take it out so you can load 5 shells (unless you have a tactical SG which holds more). Your shotgun is your #1 defensive weapon: Use 2 3/4" #1 Buckshot. If your shotgun has variable chokes, install the modified choke. Buy as many shells as you can reasonably afford (50 shells). A shell belt would be handy. Used military ammo boxes are cheap (~$5-8) - ensure that the rubber gasket is in the lid. Buy one that you can store shotgun shells in and label it. It can go out with you by carrying it by the handle. It (they) can then ride in the trunk. Do not store ammunition in your car to prevent condensation damage from temperature changes. Get another for the .22 ammunition and label it likewise. If you are faced with long-term survival, the .22 with become increasingly important, assuming that you make it to the farm... (2000 + rounds).

Train with the weapons! You and your GF! Buy each of you a CRKT M16-14Z knife and a Lansky Sharpening System.

Others have made the point about storing additional ammunition at the farm(s). Good luck.

You don't need to be buying high dollar ammo for your BOB,range ammo will work in a pinch,you can carry a lot more 22 for the weight and like GAsmitty said around 4-6 boxes 500+ bulk 22,You can also effectively hit targets farther out with a 22 versus a 9mm which is gonna be a close up defensive weapon,shotgun will be intermediate range with 00 buck and depending on accuracy with slugs will decide on what range you can effectively use those rounds.
    One thing that is great about an AR15 style gun is that they make a 22 conversion kit that is pretty darn accurate,so I can fire either 223/556 at Manimals,or switch to 22LR for small game.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Why carry the ammo? Buy some bulk stuff and leave it at your sisters farm and at your dad's place.

I suggest you make a stash and only take about 50 rds for the 12 gauge, a mag of .22 and a couple mags worth for the pistol.
    Phillep Harding likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    Thanks for the quick input!

The trip to the parents is the farthest we would have to go, looking at about a 6 hr, 300 mile drive. Right now I have an approx 2.5' by 1' canvas duffle bag that im thinking will be pretty much devoted to ammo and a few small tools (leatherman, flint and tinder, etc...) but I also dont want weight to be a huge issue thinking of potential car break down, having to hoof it with the ammo situation.

My store right now is;

9mm: 150 rnds +2 mags at 16 rnds a piece
    12 gauge: 50 rnds 7 1/2 load, 20 rnds 00 buck (reduced recoil), 10 rnds 3" magnum buck, 10 rnds slugs
    .22: Approx. 700 rnds of various .22 including mini mags, subsonic, federal auto match, etc..

Im obviously still expanding as budget allows, but I was just looking for thoughts and how much would be adequate of each type of round and still be pretty mobile
    I would definitely buy at least 4 more magazines for your 9mm--and make sure that you have at least 6 magazines for your .22, if it is magazine fed. Some folks may feel that 6 magazines is too austere and that you ought to have still more magazines.

Please consider just how fast you can go through a full magazine of ammo. If you have several magazines of ammo pre-loaded, your odds of surviving a gun fight improve substantially. After all, any opponent who may come after you is not going to do "the honorable thing" and give you ample time to reload your meager two magazines.

Also, if we do get into a true SHTF scenario, magazines are a key factor in keeping your weapon(s) usable. And in post-SHTF situations, there may be severe restrictions or shortages of magazines. If your two magazines somehow became damaged/unusable, you would just have (practically speaking) an expensive bookend or doorstop instead of a valuable defensive firearm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links