The folly of "safe areas," like "gun free zones"

This is a discussion on The folly of "safe areas," like "gun free zones" within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; is that they simply don't exist. We, on DC know this. The ladies in Pasadena, LA, and other metro areas, apparently don't. And, the real ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By BradL

Thread: The folly of "safe areas," like "gun free zones"

is that they simply don't exist.

We, on DC know this. The ladies in Pasadena, LA, and other metro areas, apparently don't.

And, the real sad thing is that in most cases, they couldn't carry a decent defensive weapon, even if they wanted to, because of highly restrictive (or non-existant) CCW laws in many of the really large metro areas, like New York, Chicago, LA, and the like...

They have to rely on increased police presence in some areas to let themselves "feel" safer.

Shame, that.

An illustrative story, here: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...women-on-edge/
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    In the immortal words of Chris Rock (see song: no sex in the champagne room)

"Never go to a party with metal detectors. You may feel safe INSIDE, but all those [brothers] waiting outside with guns? They know you ain't got one!"

Increased police presence is fine. Nice to know that in Pasadena they can make such a request and it's acted upon.

Fact is, though, on the instant of attack, one has to survive until the cavalry arrive. Having a few more cops on the street doesn't help with that. If only folks would realize this important little tidbit, they'd realize that it's up to them to last long enough for police to matter. If only.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I have come up with a great example for folks who believe this.

Take the calls the police respond to in a one year period. Leave out the cat in a tree that does not warrant an emergency response and keep it to violent, in progress type situations that would get maximum priority. So lets say the response time is 5:20.

Now put that person who relies on LE to be everywhere and put them in a ring with an ex con with a bat, knife, pointy stick or just his hands or choose any number of aggressive animals. Tell the person at the sound of the bell the ex con or animal will be released and the police have been called, now for the next five minutes and 20 seconds SURVIVE.

In the ring next to them is a person armed with a firearm and knows how to use it. Same situation applies. I wonder how many would change their mind?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

We have a local response time that averages just under 2 1/2 minutes for emergencies. That's a long time to have to survive assuming a call was made before the attack begins.

No call, no response. I can't believe how many people can't wrap their heads around that fact.

It's not like criminals give you an easy to read explicit warning before they attack... Sure, many give off non-verbal clues, but if you miss them or they come out from behind some cover where you didn't see them it matters not.

My CC instructor probably said it best during my class, "When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away."
    marinevet1994 and darbo like this.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Links