Home defense for small woman with kids - Page 2

Home defense for small woman with kids

This is a discussion on Home defense for small woman with kids within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What Rocky said!!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Home defense for small woman with kids

What Rocky said!!

Quote Originally Posted by tessa View Post
    I'm big fan of the 2 quart sauce pan or the skillet.
    You are just plain evil.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'd vote for a Tazer or even two, but the self defense class is almost a must for you. A good instructor can teach you how to use a baseball bat -- hint: don't just swing it like a bat -- such that it will do a lot of damage in your hands before someone can take it away from you. Look around for a good self defense class.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Harden your house. Good doors, good locks, motion lights, make your house look very secured (alarm company signs are great), trim the hedges.

Come up with weapons. Your kitchen knives are some of the best fighting knives out there (you gotta be prepared for a knife fight), a taser works great (only on one attacker though), a big stick is pretty effective, a baseball bat is downright devastating, bear spray is something I never want in my face (gets EVERYWHERE, including on you, and will stay there).

Plan. An escape/barricade plan, a counterattack plan, make sure your kids know what to do when. Make sure your kids know the difference between the fire alarm and the burglar alarm!
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    TASER C2: Target Attackers From 15 Feet Away

Taser (sorry for the misspelling earlier) The Taser C2 Platinum package comes with 4 15' cartridges, and one practice 15' cartridge. $449 + tax (and maybe shipping- I just checked it for me and it would be free).

So, more than one shot, not a gun, no worries about pepper spraying yourself, and you can keep your distance. All in all, not a bad option.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Home defense for small woman with kids

One shot per load, it's not a semiautomatic, still a single shot.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

VIP Member
    I think you really need to look at the above suggestions and your situation as two different types of challenges.

1) You need to find ways to harden your home. There are many, but probably a walk through with a police
    officer would be beneficial in pointing out weak spots and places you can modify. Besides your monitored alarm,
    there are inexpensive additional alarms which might at least do things like make noise, turn lights on and off.

There are more than two ways BGs can get in, usually. Door is obvious. Breaking a window is also obvious. Both
    can be protected in a variety of ways with inexpensive measures. THORNY BUSHES, any thorny plant that will grow
    where you live planted around the perimeter of you home will discourage anyone from attempting to get in via
    the windows. Noise making window/glass break noise makers are very very inexpensive. There are window films
    which prevent the glass from being smashed. Usually you can readily add some sort of dowel to keep windows from being
    moved open; and there are plenty of inexpensive window locks you could use as well.

Doors too can be protected without huge expense. Door bars and door stops come with built in alarms. They make breaking in
    more difficult and make a lot of noise which most BGs won't tolerate.

They'll also try to get into an attic and drop down so lock the attic door with a keyed lock. They'll break into a basement and come up from
    an unlocked or insecure interior basement door. So keep some motion detecting alarms in the basement and make sure
    that the door from there to your home is secure.

As others have pointed out, bedroom doors can be hardened-- it might look ugly, but something as simple as applying
    plywood to one side of the door adds to the difficulty of someone kicking a door in. With the door reinforced you can
    install some good dead bolt locks anchored into the studs, not the frame.

2) Your other issue is dealing with someone who has already gained access. Someone correctly suggested pre-planned
    escape routes to go with a hardened room.

Someone else suggested that your kitchen knives are good weapons; which is the case
    but you don't want to take a chance on a home invader grabbing them and using them against you. HIDE your kitchen
    knives. Don't leave them on the counter top. Don't leave them in the top drawer. Yes, it is inconvenient to
    dig around in some out of the way location where they are resting covered by dish towels and out of sight, but
    you must not allow a BG to get your kitchen knife either by just finding it or by taking it from you.

As for using pepper, it has its downsides when used indoors. If you google around the net, probably even on Amazon,
    you can find some inexpensive "hoods" which just pull over your head and are designed to let you escape from a fire.
    It is a good idea to have these at least in your bedroom and kitchen; but they can also keep pepper spray from
    getting back into your own eyes and nose--if you get a chance to put one on. Here's what I have in mind--
    hope the link works Amazon.com: Smoke Escape Hood - Improvements: Home Improvement It isn't much but if time allows it
    beats getting your own pepper in your eyes and nose and it will also protect you from a BG trying to use pepper.

Small women protecting children can be ferocious warriors. See if you can find someone who can give you some
    lessons in empty hand self defense.

IMO (and it may be useless to you) your emphasis must be on hardening the house. The old saying that an ounce of
    prevention is worth a pound of cure applies. It is better to put your effort into making the house unwelcoming
    to a BG than to plan on a fight after someone is in already...and that is true even for armed folk. No one needs a
    gun fight even if they are a skilled combat shooter.

The best gun fight is the one that never happened in the first place. The best close contact hand to hand fight is the one that never happens. SO put your emphasis on hardening your home, having escape plans, and hide those very dangerous kitchen knives.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Could also look into getting a baton (pr-24 or expandable)if its legal for non-LE in Iowa to own. If they are, definitely find training on them.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Get a German shepherd, and get some size 15 boots and put them on the front porch.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    There is a lot of good advice so far.

Regarding your security system:
    Make sure your security system has full perimeter coverage and make sure you have an audio glassbreak sensor in range of every window. Audio glassbreak sensors are designed to pickup the sound that glass makes as it flexes. They actually pickup the sound milliseconds before the glass actually breaks. Have your security company program your audio glassbreak sensors as a 24 hour zone (always armed)...this means if you happen to have the security system off and someone breaks the glass, the alarm will still sound and the monitoring center will be notified. Do not let the salesperson sell you shock sensors instead of audio glass break sensors...insist on audio glassbreak sensors only. Make sure your security system also has a cellular backup so that the alarm can still transmit a signal if the phone lines are cut. Have the security company program in a "duress code" which when keyed into the keypad, will arm and disarm your system just like your normal code does but with one exception...the "duress code" will instruct the system to send a silent alarm signal and notify the central station via your cellular backup only. Make sure the security company is instructed to immediately notify the police upon receipt of the silent "duress alarm" (under no circumstances should the home be called if a duress signal is received). Duress codes are used by you in the event a bad guy instructs you to operate your security system.

I'll post more suggestions another time.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

All kidding aside, impact weapons (baseball bats, batons, skillets) are about the last thing anyone should be recommending to a woman who is admittedly on the small side. Anything requiring closing the distance to deliver a 'payload' to a bad guy intent on harm is the wrong way to go.

Given the OP's boundary conditions (no guns, no dogs), I think Hopyard's approach is the most sensible - which is prevention. Learning to have an elevated sense of situational awareness, in spite of being in one's own home will help as well.
    goldshellback and limatunes like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Terrific suggestions so far. Here is one more. Keep your car keys with you at all times when in your home. So if you find an intruder you can hit the red panic button which will activate the car's horn....hopefully that will scare him away! And you won't have to engage him in a fight. Good luck.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by tessa View Post
    I'm big fan of the 2 quart sauce pan or the skillet.
    That's no joke. I saw how quick a 5'2" woman could knock out a 6'4" / 290 lb man once. Dang..... took her one smack to the back of his head, and he was unconscious putty on the floor. I knew at that point it was definitely nothing I wanted to experience in my lifetime, but would definitely remember if someone broke into my house while I was cooking.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Batons are a viable defense tool for small framed female LE, why not a small civilian female, as long as she gets training on it and they are legal for civilian possession? The OP will also be fighting for her children.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Big can of pepper spray is good stuff to have on hand.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links