Home defense for small woman with kids

This is a discussion on Home defense for small woman with kids within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guys -- I wonder if I could ask your advice on home defense. We were broken into a few weeks ago. I'm a small, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Home defense for small woman with kids

Hi guys --

I wonder if I could ask your advice on home defense. We were broken into a few weeks ago.

I'm a small, thin middle-aged woman with young children. I've suffered periodically from suicidal depression, so having a gun in the house is not something I'm willing to do. (Please do not suggest therapy, drugs, "get over it", etc. You'll have to take my word for it that after long experience and professional help, I know what I'm talking about here.)

Several people have suggested I get a baseball bat, but I have trouble seeing how this would be all that helpful. It seems to me I'd be easily disarmed, and then the attacker(s) would have a bat. I'm in good shape -- lift and run -- but a 5'10" street kid's going to have me beat on reflexes, strength, bulk, and just plain knowing how to fight. I've also got very small wrists and hands, so consider how easy it is to take something away from your fourth-grader: that's about where I'm at.

I don't, unfortunately, have time, room, or money to care properly for a dog. Also, half my work is at home, telecommute writer, and I can't have a dog distracting me while I work. (They may not distract you; they distract me, so please, again, no defenses of dogs at work.)

I've been attacked before, and I don't freeze -- I make hella noise and get out of the situation. The worst I've walked away with was a broken nose. But I don't know how I'd do that while also protecting my kids.

I've installed a monitored alarm, and police do come quickly here, so if the system works at least there's that. Domestic Violence advocates here have suggested installing a "safe room", which is a possibility -- in fact I'd considered them before because we live in tornado country. But they're wildly expensive, plus you'd have to have the opportunity to get there. The logistics make sense when considering a tornado -- go all the way downstairs. (There are some nice ones that actually get built under the garage.) But we've got a split-level, so actually getting to the safe room would be a trick if the invader were upstairs. There's only one flight of stairs leading to the lower level.

Given the situation, what would you suggest? I know that for purely defensive purposes, a gun is totally the way to go. As explained, though, it's not something that would be wise for me to do.

Thanks for your help -

iowagal

Lead Moderator
    Take a self defense course , buy a few cans of pepper spray (with the plan to use one for practice). Harden your home (trim bushes,motion sensor lights, ect).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

What Rocky said.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sounds like you've taken good first steps. It's better to spend $ on good motion lights, security system, door and window locks, etc., and prevent attacks in the first place.

As far as non-lethal defense tools to keep in the home, there's always your pepper spray and baseball bat suggestions, but where you keep them dictates where you'll be able to use them. I would think of as many normal household objects you could use as a weapon - any wrought-iron wall hangings you could clock someone with? Glass vases you could break? Place your knife block on the breakfast bar if you have them so that it's accessible from the kitchen and the living room (something I've done). If you think about it, there are a LOT of home items, functional and decorative, that you could use to defend yourself - you just need to have them in your mental weapon inventory.

Props to you for being prepared. Welcome to the board!
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

PepperBlaster II

This is something to consider..... it can be carried around with you (home or not). This 'lil gem can buy you some time to get you and yours out of a situation or arm yourself with a bat, a dutch oven, or whatever!
    Eagleks likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

There is no reason that civilians should have Dutch ovens...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

NMB
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

There are many things around your house that can be used for a weapon if you need one in a hurry, plus as others have said there are also non-lethal methods that you can do. If you have wasp spray around your house, it can make a very excellent weapon. Spray somebody in the face with that and you took the fight right out of them. The beauty of that is that wasp spray is meant to be sprayed in a stream from pretty good distances away. Something else to consider is maybe a "hot shot", or a taser. A hot shot is another way to say cattle prod. It will knock a man down, and it also works really good on aggressive dogs in the neighborhood. I agree with taking self defense classses. The more you know how to defend yourself the better, especially if you can't have a gun in your house.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Actual Tazer brand tazer; it's what the police use to great effect.

Unfortunately rather pricey, but well worth it when a gun isn't an option.
    Doodle and bigmacque like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Actual Tazer brand tazer; it's what the police use to great effect.

Unfortunately rather pricey, but well worth it when a gun isn't an option.
    Unfortunately not a great option for more than one attacker.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

+1 to Rocky and the bear spray. The police will come out to your home to give you specific suggestions on making your home harder to break into. Since I just mentioned it in another thread you can create an inexpensive safe room for about $400 by getting a steel door and deadbolt from Lowe's and a Katy bar to further reinforce the door and installing them in a strategic closet or two. Since police response time is good in your area, your best defense may be the time you can buy until the cavalry shows up.
    Eagleks likes this.

There are a lot of practical and inexpensive things that you can do (which I've done to our house), such as install outdoor lighting and use it nightly, keep bushes / hedges trimmed to minimize hiding places, use longer screws on your hinges to secure them to the external frame (on the house, not just on the door), have and use deadbolt locks, etc. There are also things you can do, like drilling a small hole in windows (middle, where the upper and lower windows meet) and placing a nail there to keep someone from jimmying the window open, and having a secondary lock or piece of wood blocking sliding doors. Basically make your house look less appealing to a bad guy, and make it harder to get in if they do select your house. And use common sense about keeping doors locked and not opening the door for strangers (even girls / teenagers).

The pepper spray idea is good, and is something that is inexpensive and you can have a few hidden in key areas of your house. Some basic self-defense that is effective and doesn't take years to learn is also a good idea. I prefer Target Focus Training (reasonably priced DVD training, they'll review tapes of you, and they offer live training seminars). It is fairly easy and doesn't take a lot of strength to be effective.

Hope that helps.

Bow and arrow!

...kidding

I'm jumping on the Taser bandwagon. It's what I was considering before I decided to just go for the gun.

I read something that said gun is the best, then taser, and then pepper spray. The problem with pepper spray is that it can get in your eyes, too, and that sometimes pepper spray does not stop an attacker.

The only downfall to a taser is that if they are wearing a thick jacket, it might not penetrate. And then, you only get one shot and then you have to recharge.

As a woman myself, I would probably go for a taser, some pepper spray around for back-up, and maybe some tae-kwon-do. If you're fit like you say, I bet you'd be a great fighter with some training!

But hopefully the alarms you've set will do the job to scare anyone away.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Wasp spray.

You can keep it out and around the house and nobody would think anything of it. Keep a can in every room if you want. Just make sure the kids don't go messing with it.

Or good ole' pepper spray of some sort.
    goldshellback likes this.

I'm big fan of the 2 quart sauce pan or the skillet.
    lyz_grace likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links