Home Alone During Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Home Alone During Home Invasion within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I like choice #3. I agree you shouldn't give them a heads up if they are breaking into your house....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Home Alone During Home Invasion

I like choice #3. I agree you shouldn't give them a heads up if they are breaking into your house.

2. Remove Ads

Re: Home Alone During Home Invasion

Option 2

If you use option 3 you are exposing yourself to other entries in the house. Who knows he only one. Option 2 you only need worry about the one

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Re: Home Alone During Home Invasion

Take a defensive training class, one that deals with these type of situations and teaches how to take advantage of funnels.

In a scenario like this, an AR would be the appropriate defense.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You need to know what Mississippi law says about your quoted situation and the legal responses. Some states insist on establishing some sort of "protocal" in regards to your legal actions in saving your life.

As for me, the moment the door kicks open, I'm unloading on him; the BG has forced his entry and breached my castle walls, and made a major miscalculation on his part. I consider anyone knowingly breaking in an occupied home as having evil intent.

I doubt you'd have time to call 911 first once he starts kicking as it only takes a few seconds to kick a door if it's going to give way--and they usually do unless seriously reinforced (a consideration you might look at resolving).

Make it impossible to break down your door, or to at least prevent it from being easy. Be prepared. These things don't follow a laid-out script and happens in seconds!
    Sky Pilot and JDE101 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    FWIW, the only time my SD gun is unloaded is when my wife and I are practicing defense tactics and dry-firing at home. At all other times the SD gun is on my person (or within immediate reach on the nightstand and loaded at night). Paranoia? wassat?

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    You might want to consider doing what the "smallish" girl did-

12-Year-Old Oklahoma Girl Shoots Home Intruder | TIME.com

First, I agree with others that you should carry a weapon on you.

Now, there are many things you should consider. I would call 911 as soon as possible for a couple reasons. You will have a recording or at least a audio witness of any commands you give. Also every second counts when you are waiting on backup.

Take a look at the layout of your house. In my house, my front door and back door are almost straight across from each other. There really isn't a way to cover the front door without being exposed to the back door. What about your house??? Do you have doors or windows at your back?

Now if I go down the hallway to my bedroom, I can cover the entry of the hallway with very little exposure. Or I can shut my bedroom door and get behind the bed and cover the door.

I keep my handgun on me and a shotgun in the bedroom.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You need to know what Mississippi law says about your quoted situation and the legal responses.
    This
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I have preplanned rooms to defend from in the basement and on the main floor. I usually don't carry in the house, but I have guns in both defensive positions as well as panic buttons for the alarm system. I would retreat to one of those rooms, grab a gun, hit the panic button, dial 911 on my cell and wait for them to come through the door or turn tail

Might depend on the state I'm living in. Some states allow you to shoot while they're trying to break in. I might consider that if I know what's on the other side of the door. Otherwise definitely number 3. Soon as that door is open and he comes past the threshold, game over. Wam, bam, no thank you man.

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    I would go with number 2. It buys you some time. Allows you to take a defensive position. There is also a chance they may not get to your safe room. Perhaps add a good lock of some sort to that room.
    The best defense is a good offense. You already have a defensive position if somebody's trying to bust your door down - you're in your home, behind that door, ready and waiting to fire. No need to retreat any further.
    lchamp and Sky Pilot like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    You might want to consider doing what the "smallish" girl did-

12-Year-Old Oklahoma Girl Shoots Home Intruder | TIME.com
    The "smallish" girl wasn't just "smallish", she was also a very frightened 12 year old - not a grown woman. If you have training with your firearm and self defense, you don't need to run and hide when someone starts kicking down your door.

Also, you don't want to think like this girl:
    “When I had the gun, I didn’t think I was actually going to have to shoot somebody,” St. Clair told ABC News. “I think it’s going to change me a whole lot, knowing that I can hold my head up high and nothing can hurt me anymore.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

What would the Bad Guy do if they got to you first?

Once they cross the threshold of your domain, you have the right to defend yourself, with necessary force. In the case of Male attacker against Female, too me that is anything you can do to stop them, you are already better off than 80-90% of Females as you are armed, and know how to use a gun.

So, use it.

No one is going to question if a Bad Guy busts through your door and you act in defense of your life, because that is exactly what you are doing. You have no idea what their mindset is, the sheer act of entering your house unwanted is enough to stop them from ever doing it again. Would you want to know that you just scared him off? Wondering who his next victim is?

There is no place in this world for violent criminals that want to prey on innocent people.

We need fewer victims.

I applaud you for taking the time to consider what to do, and to educate yourself on how to do it.

May you know peace, and never have to be confronted with that situation.

rg
    lchamp and MrsHB like this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would say, if you have time, IF, call 911, and it wouldn't hurt to be recorded on the 911 call saying don't come in, if you come at me I will shoot you. You may not want to warn them, that is a valid point, but it may make things easier if it goes to trial. But once the door is open, don't hesitate. You may miss your only oportunity to stop him when you know exactly where he is and which way he will be going.
    Walk softly ...

I think you've already ruled out #1 yourself for a good reason. Depending on the way that your house is set up, (only you know that one) 2 or 3 seem ok to me. But whichever one you choose, make sure first it gives you the best odds of survival depending on how it all plays out. After you've identified the person as a threat, defend yourself first if you have to. That's first and foremost. As fast as these things happen sometimes, the 911 call may have to come after the person is no longer a threat. In other words, if you don't carry on your person while you're at home, at least make it a point to go for that first, before running in the other room for the phone if that's the case. JMO
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Number 3 for Sure and the first step forward in your house open fire and Keep Shooting untill there is No longer a threat. Then call 911..Do not be trapped on the phone while your door is being kicked in,you don`t know when it will come open. Hide behind something,make yourself a Small target with a good view of the door. Shoot to kill the perp,he won`t come back that way. Ask 911 to bring a bag. Good Luck.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links