Home Alone During Home Invasion - Page 4

Home Alone During Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Home Alone During Home Invasion within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MrsHB Yes, it's a .410 shotgun, and this is the defensive ammo I mentioned: http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx I haven't seen any ballistics on it, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Home Alone During Home Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    Yes, it's a .410 shotgun, and this is the defensive ammo I mentioned: http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx I haven't seen any ballistics on it, but it rips a pretty impressive hole in the ground when you shoot coke cans with it. (Fun times)

I also have a 20-gauge pump (that's what I hunt with) which could be used with buckshot if that would be a better option.

It never gets very cold here; probably the heaviest clothing someone would wear is a leather or denim jacket.

I agree that shooting through the door is a bad idea. Even though it probably wouldn't result in charges, why shoot someone when there's still a chance you won't have to? Goal for me is to survive unscathed and have my life back to normal ASAP.
    If somebody's trying to bust down your door, chances are they're not just going to stop in the middle and decide to walk away. Depending on your state's laws, if somebody is trying to forcibly enter your home (or vehicle), you have a right to defend yourself with lethal force. The law here doesn't say to wait until they've actually entered.

That being said, I still might wait until they get in. Nobody WANTS to kill anybody, after all.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

One of the finer points we haven't covered is, when BG breaches the front door - do I shoot immediately, or do I yell and momentarily hesitate (on "full ready")... to allow him the opportunity to turn and flee?

That approach is another thing I see people advocating a lot.

I'm thinking that hesitating isn't the safest option. It gives the BG an option to run away, but it also gives him the option to run TOWARD... or to point and shoot at me. Which makes me wonder why some people think it's a good idea.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

One of the finer points we haven't covered is, when BG breaches the front door - do I shoot immediately, or do I yell and momentarily hesitate (on "full ready")... to allow him the opportunity to turn and flee?

I'm thinking that hesitating isn't the safest option. It gives the BG an option to run away, but it also gives him the option to run TOWARD... or to point and shoot at me. Which makes me wonder why some people think it's a good idea.
    Depends on the exact situation. You won't know until you see them.

With all due respect MrsHB, I am assuming that you are a good hearted person and wanting to give someone the chance to change their mind before they are harmed is in your nature. That's why GGs ponder these things and quite often, BG's don't I assume. In bold, I think you're on the right track and if that time comes the BG is not going to give you any options to your advantage.

In my mind, he has already made his decision and should have made a better one well before he threatened your life. The one that hesitates is quite likely the one that is going to die. The ONLY hesitating I would suggest is one that allows you to positively identify the target as a threat, not to wait until they make a good decision.
    BigStick, MrsHB and Ransom like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I second this ^

Senior Moderator
    I would say #2, but since you don't consider your safe room very safe that leaves #3 as your best option.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Yes, it's a .410 shotgun, and this is the defensive ammo I mentioned: http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx I haven't seen any ballistics on it, but it rips a pretty impressive hole in the ground when you shoot coke cans with it. (Fun times)

I also have a 20-gauge pump (that's what I hunt with) which could be used with buckshot if that would be a better option.

It never gets very cold here; probably the heaviest clothing someone would wear is a leather or denim jacket.

I agree that shooting through the door is a bad idea. Even though it probably wouldn't result in charges, why shoot someone when there's still a chance you won't have to? Goal for me is to survive unscathed and have my life back to normal ASAP.
    Unless it was a LEO, your neighbor coming to assist, etc.

20 gauge with buckshot is better on the ammo side. If it has a plug, I would remove it. Just make sure to reinstall it if necessary for your hunting.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

You answered your own question and your logic is correct.

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    The ONLY hesitating I would suggest is one that allows you to positively identify the target as a threat, not to wait until they make a good decision.

-Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    I have just finished reading the whole thread, and if you have a 20ga I would use it. If you can fit a shorter barrel on it, then do it.

No matter the Barrel length I would suggest either #4 or #3 buckshot. And I would shoot when you feel threatened, and the door they kicked in was all the warning that someone should need.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    With all due respect MrsHB, I am assuming that you are a good hearted person and wanting to give someone the chance to change their mind before they are harmed is in your nature. That's why GGs ponder these things and quite often, BG's don't I assume. In bold, I think you're on the right track and if that time comes the BG is not going to give you any options to your advantage.

In my mind, he has already made his decision and should have made a better one well before he threatened your life. The one that hesitates is quite likely the one that is going to die. The ONLY hesitating I would suggest is one that allows you to positively identify the target as a threat, not to wait until they make a good decision.
    Well said. I second all of his points. He already had his chance to change his mind, and the fraction of a second while he is entering the doorway may be the only clear shot you get.
    Walk softly ...

Thanks all. This has been a very helpful discussion.

Let me relate a real-life situation that happened to some friends in college (also females). This is something I think about when considering shooting through a door, or shooting the instant that the door gives way.

My friends woke one night to someone yelling, cursing, and pounding on their very flimsy apartment door. Looking through the peep hole, they saw an angry young man in his 20s, naked except his underwear, yelling "OPEN THE DOOR!!! and pounding on it. They called 911 and cowered under a table with the phone and a butcher knife as the man continued yelling and began trying to kick the door in. Luckily, the police arrived before the door gave way, and arrested him.

They found out the next day that the "BG" was a college student who lived in the apartment above theirs. He was disoriented by drugs and alcohol after a long night of partying, and mistook their door for his own. He thought his roommates had locked him out. He apologized to them the next day and they said he turned out to be really nice guy.

I would feel horrible if I killed my neighbor in a situation like that. But I wouldn't have much choice but to shoot, once the door gave way.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Thanks all. This has been a very helpful discussion.

Let me relate a real-life situation that happened to some friends in college (also females). This is something I think about when considering shooting through a door, or shooting the instant that the door gives way.

My friends woke one night to someone yelling, cursing, and pounding on their very flimsy apartment door. Looking through the peep hole, they saw an angry young man in his 20s, naked except his underwear, yelling "OPEN THE DOOR!!! and pounding on it. They called 911 and cowered under a table with the phone and a butcher knife as the man continued yelling and began trying to kick the door in. Luckily, the police arrived before the door gave way, and arrested him.

They found out the next day that the "BG" was a college student who lived in the apartment above theirs. He was disoriented by drugs and alcohol after a long night of partying, and mistook their door for his own. He thought his roommates had locked him out. He apologized to them the next day and they said he turned out to be really nice guy.

I would feel horrible if I killed my neighbor in a situation like that. But I wouldn't have much choice but to shoot, once the door gave way.
    It's been very helpful to me too. Great thread!

Sounds like the young man in your story put his life in jeopardy going stupid places and doing stupid things with stupid people. That can have fatal consequences and cause a lot of anguish for the innocent person forced to shoot and the loved ones of the deceased.

Senior Moderator
    There's something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet (or at least I haven't seen it) and I'm kind of surprised by that.

Granted, I don't know your home and it's layout but option #3 would worry me for one reason... buddies.

In my house, if someone were at the front door trying to get in and I retreated to cover/concealment from the front door I am not concealed or covered from the back door. If someone were to sneak around to that area with all of my attention on the front door it could be pretty bad news for me.

In option #2 I'm hoping you have picked a room with a fatal funnel going into it or at least no way for someone to sneak up behind you. No matter the number of bad guys, they all have to ultimately get to you the same way which is a HUGE advantage to you.

Now, if you have a fourth floor apartment with no ladders, etc and your front door is the only way in then it's not a big deal because, again, no matter the # of bad guys there's only one way in.. for those in a house with multiple access points, however, I would be retreating to a place where I control the only entrance so as not to be surrounded/overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I'm hoping you have picked a room with a fatal funnel going into it or at least no way for someone to sneak up behind you. No matter the number of bad guys, they all have to ultimately get to you the same way which is a HUGE advantage to you.

You got it. And you control that way...

-Albert Einstein

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links