Home Alone During Home Invasion - Page 5

Home Alone During Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Home Alone During Home Invasion within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heeeeere's Johnny-Jack Nicholson-The Shining - YouTube If this is happening, shoot through the door....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Home Alone During Home Invasion

Heeeeere's Johnny-Jack Nicholson-The Shining - YouTube

If this is happening, shoot through the door.
    mano3 likes this.

#3 - but I'd yell at the BG that I've called the police and that I will shoot him if he comes in. Hopefully he'd stop - if not, he more than asked for it...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    Really interesting discussion!
    I'm very new to all this and there are so many factors involved.

If someone were kicking down my door I would know for a fact that the person is a BG because I don't know one single person who would come up to my house and instead of knocking would begin to kick in my door. So, college scenerios aside, that's what I'd assume.

I'd run up the stairs to my bedroom, lock the door, grab the phone and call 911. As others have said, having a phone witness is really important. Then I'd go into my walk-in closet where the gun safe is, get out the shot gun and hand guns, sit on the floor and point it at the door while I'm waiting for either the police to arrive and take care of things or the BG then tries to break down my closet door. At that point, I've lost my patience and he gets it will everything I've got.

I figure I have the advantage because he doesn't know the layout of my house and that will buy time and he won't know where I am or IF I have a gun. Most BG in my area aren't professionals, they're just dummies in hoodies looking for cash to buy more drugs or a new TV. Granted, everyone has a different demographic depending on where they live and what crime is like in their area.

Like I said, I'm new to this so right now, that's what I'd do. I'm sure in time I'll get a better plan.
    Scramble4a5 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

While at home, I am always armed or have a weapon within arms reached, and I have security storm doors both front and back, so it is unlikely that anyone is going to easily or quickly break in and surprise me. That said, option #3 is your best choice, IMHO. I would immediately dial 911 and have the phone on speaker to leave my hands free. The police dispatcher would then have a recording of what happened subsequently. If my premisis is breached, the perp would be met with adequate firepower to "stop the threat" and the police would have a recording of it all. We have a castle doctrine in Ohio, and I am assuming anyone who makes the effort to break into my house intends to do me and my wife harm, and I will react appropriately with Mr. Kimber .45ACP, Messrs. Smith & Wesson .38+P, and/or Mr. Remington 00 Buckshot depending on what I am carrying at the time and what room I am in when the incident begins! I don't believe in "hiding" in a safe room and not knowing what all is going on in the rest of the house, nor do I intend to announce my intentions and give up the element of surprise to someone who intends to do me harm!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Really interesting discussion!
    I'm very new to all this and there are so many factors involved.

If someone were kicking down my door I would know for a fact that the person is a BG because I don't know one single person who would come up to my house and instead of knocking would begin to kick in my door. So, college scenerios aside, that's what I'd assume.

I'd run up the stairs to my bedroom, lock the door, grab the phone and call 911. As others have said, having a phone witness is really important. Then I'd go into my walk-in closet where the gun safe is, get out the shot gun and hand guns, sit on the floor and point it at the door while I'm waiting for either the police to arrive and take care of things or the BG then tries to break down my closet door. At that point, I've lost my patience and he gets it will everything I've got.

I figure I have the advantage because he doesn't know the layout of my house and that will buy time and he won't know where I am or IF I have a gun. Most BG in my area aren't professionals, they're just dummies in hoodies looking for cash to buy more drugs or a new TV. Granted, everyone has a different demographic depending on where they live and what crime is like in their area.

Like I said, I'm new to this so right now, that's what I'd do. I'm sure in time I'll get a better plan.
    Get the firearms first, then call. Any handgun have tactically on your person. Train now and often.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

This happened to my sister when she was 16-17. Guy came in a front window.
    She went with option #3, but instead of shooting on sight she called out loudly on the phone to 911 that he was inside, and I guess he had assumed no one was home because he ran back out when he heard her. She had a .38 revolver ready for him if he chose otherwise. I was glad he opted to leave, so my sis didn't have to pull the trigger so young in her life.

It happened that dad was out of town that day. Two other times when he was out of town someone broke in or attempted to. One person she did not see, the one that came in was a young black man, the one that broke into the garage and ran away on foot was a white male - so we know it wasn't the same guy every time. The garage guy got his truck impounded for his troubles, so that was cool. The next time he went out of town I came to visit with my dog and additional firepower.
    Since they didn't want a dog, and it wasn't practical for them, I got her a driveway alarm so she would have more warning. She's also upgraded to a 9mm semi so she has more than 5 available shots now.

And yes, she's been to the range with both guns, but I was unable to find local defensive training for people under 21.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I would do number 3.

Quote Originally Posted by tessa View Post
    #3. When you hear the door get kicked in you know exactly where they are. If you hide they might be quiet and surprise you. You'll also be shaking by the time they get to you. Get it over with quickly.
    +1 Get it over quickly. No sense in making it last longer than need be. Train hard and fight easy. Stay safe.
    pittypat21 likes this.

3, if ur on the first floor and somethin goes wrong you have the chance of a second 3rd exit. If u have a 2 story house of course and your safe room is on the second floor ur options for retreat if somethin goes wrong(gun jams etc.) Just my thinking. Plus I agree with everyone saying you shouldn't warn him and you shoot as soon as he opens that door! That is your home you have the right to defend it and yourself as soon as you are threatened. And carrying at home is something I always do. If my girlfriend is sinning on the couch while I'm running through the house I leave my primary with her(she is very efficient with it as opposed to my back up gun) and she knows what to do if something goes wrong.

I chose #4. Our house isn't set up well for taking cover. Its a large open home where there is very few places that I can get my back to a wall and not be exposed to other glass doors or windows. If we are going to have a confrontation its going to be on the porch or yard. We live in a very rural area, and our house is not easy to reach. All of our bedrooms enter off of the main living room, so no hall ways. The only rooms we have with any security are bathrooms and bedroom closets, and I wouldn't bet my life on those doors.
    The good things about our home is I can see out all the way around, no blind sides. And our animals would make it very difficult to sneak up on us. DR

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links