Home Alone During Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Home Alone During Home Invasion within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is something I've pondered often and would like to hear thoughts from others. Let's say that I (a smallish female) am home alone. Being ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Home Alone During Home Invasion

This is something I've pondered often and would like to hear thoughts from others.

Let's say that I (a smallish female) am home alone. Being in a semi-rural area, my few neighbors aren't within easy hearing or running distance, and police response times average 15-20 minutes.

Someone knocks on the door. Since I'm home alone, I peek out and see a strange man. I decide not to answer the door in hopes he will go away. Instead, he starts trying to kick the door in.

Should I...

1. Yell out "I have a gun - stop or I'll shoot!"
    2. Say nothing, grab my SD gun & cell phone, and retreat to my safe room to call 911 (with plans to shoot if safe room is breached)
    3. Get behind cover and/or concealment and watch the front door while calling 911 - shoot immediately if/when he gets in the house
    4. Other (please explain)

I'll go ahead and say I have serious reservations about #1, because BG will immediately know there's a female home alone (who may or may not 'really' have a gun, and if she does, she clearly doesn't want to use it). It ruins the possibility of BG getting in, grabbing some valuables, and taking off without ever knowing I'm hiding inside.

I also have reservations about #2, partly because my safe room isn't very safe, and partly because I don't like the idea of being cornered and trapped in a small room with my back against the wall.

There are probably other things to consider that I haven't thought of yet.

What say you?
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Wife and I had a long discussion on this subject last night after her self-defense class. I like #3. I always carry when I am home. I don't like the idea of running for the nearest gun.

I wouldn't let him past the door frame.

I would go with number 2. It buys you some time. Allows you to take a defensive position. There is also a chance they may not get to your safe room. Perhaps add a good lock of some sort to that room.

Most every home i have been in has at least 1 fatal funnel, I would take up a defensive position on the other side of it and once someone enters it ,it's game on.

As far as giving them a warning? not happening, I fight dirty and fight to win period. You know you don't belong there and I am not going to show my hand by reminding you.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    You can also get a recording of dogs barking and play it just as loud as it will go while you're going to you safe room.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Definitly number 3, I would keep silent and wait for the ******* to break that door and surprise him, Im tired of seeing on the news every night these criminals who have a rap sheet going back to the 80s. He came looking for trouble and he will get it.. once he is in your house if you go into a safe room you are even more secluded, Though its a good Idea to have a safe room... Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    Most every home i have been in has at least 1 fatal funnel, I would take up a defensive position on the other side of it and once someone enters it ,it's game on.

As far as giving them a warning? not happening, I fight dirty and fight to win period. You know you don't belong there and I am not going to show my hand by reminding you.
    This.

You either fight to be nice.

Or you fight to win. No second chances if you guess the intention of your adversary wrong.

Which means warnings are out. Best defensive posture is in. (We aren't trying to kill anyone, just protect ourself). As ncseveh says, find a "fatal funnel" - a place where the person entering has to go, is contained, and you have control over the situation - and position your self accordingly.

Distinguished Member
    #1 might work. Might not work. #2 doesn't seem reasonable to me, to just surrender and let him sack your home then come looking for you, #3 will work every time, shoot until the threat stops. Stay alert for other possible BGs.
    lchamp, Sky Pilot and JDE101 like this.

2 or 3. No way on option #1.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

If I heard someone kicking my door. I would take cover and aim for the door. I would take the time to call 911 right after I shot. All kinds of things could happen that you couldn't get to the safe room. Trying to call the police when you should be watching that door is also not a great idea since you need to be prepared to stop what is going to come into your home. I guess it could depend on the door. Mine are steel I have a bit of time.
    ep1953 and Sky Pilot like this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Option 2 puts the most distance between you and the BG.

Please seriously consider keeping your SD gun on your person at all times when at home...the BG is not going to wait for you to go and grab your gun and you might not have any warning that you need to go and grab it.

Also consider making some improvements to your safe room, as well as, adding additional weapons and ammo to your safe room.
    mg27, lchamp, sixgun and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

#3. When you hear the door get kicked in you know exactly where they are. If you hide they might be quiet and surprise you. You'll also be shaking by the time they get to you. Get it over with quickly.

I would go with #3
    He wouldn't get past the door, if he gets any further into your house the more trouble you might have.
    Always carry your gun at home or at least have it with in reach (next to you) not in another room.

Stay safe always!!
    lchamp, Sky Pilot and sixgun like this.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

VIP Member
    IMO choice #3 is your best option. A "meet and greetwith a 12 gauge pump shotgun as your first weapon of choice, if you can get to it. 00 buck will definitely blanket your doorway.

Choice #2 would be the preferred option, if you cannot do the shotgun meet and greet at the front door, as long as your safe room has only 1 way in. You can cover the only entrance, and fire as they enter the room.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links