Armed Burglar Sues Homeowner For Shooting

This is a discussion on Armed Burglar Sues Homeowner For Shooting within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I cannot believe that a lawsuit like this can even be filed. Only in California. We need stand your ground laws here. Marin Homeowner Sued ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Armed Burglar Sues Homeowner For Shooting

I cannot believe that a lawsuit like this can even be filed. Only in California. We need stand your ground laws here.

Marin Homeowner Sued By Alleged Burglar Who Shot Him In Face CBS San Francisco

I expect this will cost the homeowner a lot of money to defend this unmeritorious lawsuit.

2. Remove Ads

Sad state of affairs. I feel sorry for the homeowner, as it could be an expensive proposition. Let us hope the homeowner has an umbrella liability policy that covers legal costs, backed by a very mean insurance company with nasty attorneys that will not settle.

The Marin Independent Journal reported Wednesday that Samuel Cutrufelli filed the suit claiming 90-year-old Jay Leone negligently shot him.
    I'm not sure what the negligence is. From the article it seem that the shooting was completely intentional. Anyone know where the negligence is?

Michael
    pittypat21 and RoadKill like this.

Gotta luv the Left-Coast. How'd that even make to the court to get filed ?!?
    cbp210 likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Anybody can file for anything. Doesn't mean they will win. Hell hopefully the judge will throw it out. It is the left-coast though, so who knows.

That ain't Texas!
    cbp210, mr.stuart, Doodle and 1 others like this.

Stories like this make me glad that I left CA ten years ago and moved to Texas.

That ain't Missouri either.
    TX expat likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    That ain't Texas!
    You got that right
    Doodle likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

What idiocy. Only in California and Great Britian could this kind of junk happen.
    So..... Leone should also sue the Police Dept for not protecting him.
    TVille and joker1 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Yup, Eagleks. Just like the UK. I still have family living in that zoo. How can I even wrap my mind around a justice system that doesn't throw this horse manure out of court? If you don't have a good castle doctrine with civil protections you are out of your mind living in that state. Get the heck out and leave it to the criminals. Both the ones wearing colors and the ones wearing suits.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    don't shoot me, after he pulled the trigger with his gun at the homeowners face, what kind of crooks and court systems do we have to allow this case, is their no honor among thieves he should have thought about his consequences before he tried to pull an armed robbery.. Hope Leone heals quickly..
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    Stories like this make me glad that I left CA ten years ago and moved to Texas.
    And as soon as I get my retirement I will be joining you!

California's turning into England, with every little backward step it takes in the area of defending your life. Allowing a lawsuit by someone caught red-handed in a home invasion and attempted murder? For what ... too much resistance, resisting at all, daring to commit eye-for-an-eye justice on the spot after the felon first tried to kill him?

Utter moral corruption, in the courts. At least, in that judge's chamber. God help them all.

If what's being reported is true ...

About the only failing on the part of the citizen was missing some percentage of his shots.

It ought to get tossed out on principle: justice, and what's right. IMO, it should never have made it to court.
    Gurm70 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Years ago there was a case of three gents who went in to rob a gun store in Florida I think, don't quote me on the state. In the gun battle that followed two were killed one one left a paraplegic. After it was all over an attorney who had been retained by the bad guy came to the gun store owner and wanted to discuss a settlement for his client who had been the unfortunate victim of the accident in the gun shop that left him paralyzed.

The gun shop owner threw him out but his he literally had to keep pressure on his insurance company not to settle with the guy as they were more concerned with the cost analysis of the cost of a trial vs a settlement.

It is a crazy world out there.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links