Survival Shape - Page 2

Survival Shape

This is a discussion on Survival Shape within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I work in medical imaging and it sickens me the see the "health" of America. Just one of the many aspects of a lack of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Survival Shape

I work in medical imaging and it sickens me the see the "health" of America. Just one of the many aspects of a lack of personal responsibility. Even if a SHTF event dosent hapen people better start preparing thier bodies for the day the government (taxpayers/China) don't want to and can't afford to foot the bill for there knee replacement due to them being 150 lbs over weight. Who pays for thier list of 20 pharmaceuticals they are dependent on?

I could stand to loose 10 lbs. first thing I did when I began prepping for SHTF was start a 30 min morning run. Body is stronger and the mind is clearer.

You are right though. In a true SHTF event at least 10% of the population would die within the first 2 weeks due to medical complications. It would be survival of the fittest and many in our society are leaches that survive of the will of others.
    miller_man and limatunes like this.

VIP Member
    I have never seen a fat Amish man or boy. I have seen plenty of absolutely huge people who think that they will be just fine when times get tough. If I had to put money on someone I'd bet on the Amish surviving.

Administrator
    Growing your own food. That is the main thing that you are doing that is absolutely great.
    I wish that I could do that in my present location but, it's not very possible.

It's a shame that you're going to hafta waste good food on that lawyer. <~~~

Just kidding Just kidding. They are not all bad. I actually know a couple great lawyers that are great people.

One thing that I never remember seeing is tons of really young kids and very early teens that are quite overweight.

Changing times I guess.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If you look back in history, there's many different factors that have helped people survive. Many people have already joked about those of us who are overweight having extra reserves, and that's certainly true. (On a side note, every time I see someone like Bear Grylls resort to eating some gross bug to survive a journey out of someplace they shouldn't be, it makes me thankful that I have such reserves) Saving/including those who can't contribute due to health or advanced age has been something that has helped the group in many situations, since those people often have advanced practical experience/knowledge and other historical reference.

To borrow from another unrelated post, there is no specific obligation to include/help that person, but it might just be in your best interest to do so. From a purely self interest standpoint, you'd probably be better off including the person so that you could learn everything they know before their health does them in, regardless of when that time comes for them.

I do agree with the original premise, that folks should pay more attention to their own health and well-being in the here and now, but you also should think about the consequences of too much planning and deliberation about the future. Having a plan is good, having a plan you can actually execute is better. Making a list of people who can't contribute to your plan, not so good.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Re: Survival Shape

Turns out the hike will be 18 miles. I plan to do it Sunday morning after the wife returns from her run. I would do it tomorrow, but tomorrow is IDPA Day! Woohooo....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have never seen a fat Amish man or boy. I have seen plenty of absolutely huge people who think that they will be just fine when times get tough. If I had to put money on someone I'd bet on the Amish surviving.
    I would agree with this if it weren't for other non-Amish humans. They have the demeanor and skill set for long term survial but their pacifist philosophy will not serve them well during the intial days.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Im in good shape as far as muscle, weight lifting and power lifting since I was 15 HOWEVER; as Im getting older I see that cardio is probably more important in a situation that requires major walking distances and that was always my weak point. I gotta start doing some more cardio, Good post, and good reminder.

VIP Member
    I agree with the need to be aware of physical fitness. I believe we all know that it's not just about having "guns and ammo".

I use a simple measure for myself. I use the Army Physical Fitness test as my minimum goal. Related link below, but it's a sliding scale of timed requirements for running, situps, and pushups, all based on gender and age.

Army Physical Fitness test (APFT)
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have over the years tried to stay in shape. I am now 71 years old and still work out with dumb bells 4 days a week and walk for an hour. I think its important to be fit for self defense and survival.

Rich

Sounds like us old fat guys with ailments need to start our own club huh?

Survival Shape

Quote Originally Posted by RichB70 View Post
    I have over the years tried to stay in shape. I am now 71 years old and still work out with dumb bells 4 days a week and walk for an hour. I think its important to be fit for self defense and survival.

Rich
    Agreed. I suspect I will finally Peter out at the gym. I can't do as much as when I was young , but I am still able to do a pretty good workout. Last year I finally got rid of a car and have to bike or walk everywhere just about. That really helps , I have access to my children's cars or for rides if needed.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Administrator
    I work with some dum bells also - usually I just tell them to "Shut the hell up." and "Don't even bother talking to me."

Quote Originally Posted by RichB70 View Post

Rich

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I am at retirement age, I commute 32 miles each way across a major river. I could walk the 32 miles home but crossing the river without a bridge would be a trick at high water. Back in 2000 my wife ask me what we would do "IF'"? I told her then that Id make generators, and possibly stills to make fuel alcohol. Down the line maybe even wind mills. one thing to remember is that as peoples weight falls off their health problems go away too. so initially there maybe a large die off, but as a whole the survivors will be in better shape. DR

Administrator
    Yes, a good time to remind folks that NOW would be a great time to consider quitting smoking. Or if you don't want to quit outright at least really ease up on the cigs and try hard to cut down.

One of my good friends here locally smokes about 5 cigarettes a day and uses the nicotine gum for half the day.

Certainly not ideal but, it's much better than the 1.5 packs a day that she was smoking.

Find something that works for you.

It would also be a great time to take care of any dental issues that you may be putting off.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

It would also be a great time to take care of any dental issues that you may be putting off.
    Yeah, no one seems willing to let my practice the techniques I studied in Where there are no Dentists (available for free download).
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links