Survival Shape

Survival Shape

This is a discussion on Survival Shape within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After my dulcimer group (The Faithful Fretters) finished practicing yesterday I was talking to a couple of the members who are also into gardening and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Survival Shape

  1. #1
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,489

    Survival Shape

    After my dulcimer group (The Faithful Fretters) finished practicing yesterday I was talking to a couple of the members who are also into gardening and resilience planning.


    We have formed with a few others a resiliency group. I do not say survival because a couple of members are not into the firearm aspect that most preppers have. Our common purpose is to prepare our families to recover quickly from any potential national or local disaster whether it is a financial crisis like the great depression or a natural disaster that disrupts local services. We all garden and store food and have agreed to share tools and resources with each other and have come up with a generalized plan of communication and mutual security.


    What we were discussing was who else we need to approach about joining. We already have the local podiatrist (our only MD in the group) and her husband (even though he is a lawyer, yuck), so we were talking about approaching a local dentist and his wife. We know that his wife gardens and that he’s close friends with one of our members and seems like a good choice.


    Someone mentioned the head of maintenance for one of the local colleges. He seems like a good candidate with a wealth of knowledge, he is a hunter, plumber and electrician with years of experience. But then I mentioned that he would be unlikely to survive any long period of time without medication or advanced medical care because he is so badly out of shape. We talked awhile and agreed that he and his wife’s medication burden would probably make them a drain on our shared resources and that they would be unlikely to survive for a few weeks without, insulin, blood pressure, heart, cholesterol (those were just ones that we knew of) and other medications. We know he considers himself a survivalist and that he has a supply of MRE’s and guns, but we doubt he has enough heart medication stashed to survive more than a few weeks of strenuous activity without suffering a major heart attack.


    Of our small group only one couple “train” (they run marathons) but the rest of us are in shape. Some might could stand to lose a few pounds but most of us do exercise. I walk 3 miles a day and spend 15 minutes on a rowing machine 3 days a week. That’s not a lot but it is enough to make up for my desk job.


    My point is that I run into a lot of people who say they are survivalist or preppers and they seem to be neglecting their health now. If you are a prepper you have to prep your body as well, and I wonder why people don’t understand that. I guess it is easier to buy supplies than it is to exercise.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member
    Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,390
    Excellent observation! It also gives me introspective pause. I'm not a prepper, though the idea is taking root. But it needs to be 360, you're absolutely correct.
    Savage Heartland

    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array Chesafreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    610
    Besides stocking up on some canned goods and ammunition, physical fitness and range practice are the only preps I do. I think its absurd that people spend so much money on prepping for a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI event that may never happen but ignore the biggest threat to their survival: their health.
    RichB70 likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    Well, I like to think of my few extra pounds as backup storage

    Realistically though, a few extra pounds of fat might serve you well if food supplies become short, but only as long as it is not enough to negatively impact your health.

    The only medication I take is for allergies, and I make sure I have a years supply on hand just in case (I love Costco). Medications are definitly a concern. I wonder what the attrition rate would be in this country without any other contributing factors if we were to just cut off all medications? I would think probably more than a million in a few weeks. Potentially tens of millions in a few months.

    I applaud your commitment to stay in relatively good shape for quality of life in general, and in preps for just in case.

    As to who to ask to join your group. Consider an auto mechanic, and an engineer/builder who can design new tools/food and water devices.
    BigFish likes this.
    Walk softly ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array Dandyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    610
    Exercise and a healthy diet should form the basis of everyone's lives - but folks that disagree can feel free to do so.

    I live in earthquake country, and work a significant distance from my home (10 miles). There is a significant chance that my car will be of no use in getting me to my loved ones in the event of a disaster - especially since my road link is one of the longest floating bridges in the world and crosses a lake that geologic evidence shows created a tsunami during a huge earthquake.

    Should that bridge go out, and traffic is what I expect (not moving anywhere) I know that I will have to hump it as far as 26 miles. Fueled by concern for my family (and vanilla crisp power bars) I expect that I will make this trip in 6 to 7 hours.

    If no disasters, my health care costs should be significantly lower than others. Not a bad thing given trends in health care costs.
    GGs
    BGs

    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array Dandyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Well, I like to think of my few extra pounds as backup storage

    Realistically though, a few extra pounds of fat might serve you well if food supplies become short, but only as long as it is not enough to negatively impact your health.

    The only medication I take is for allergies, and I make sure I have a years supply on hand just in case (I love Costco). Medications are definitly a concern. I wonder what the attrition rate would be in this country without any other contributing factors if we were to just cut off all medications? I would think probably more than a million in a few weeks. Potentially tens of millions in a few months.

    I applaud your commitment to stay in relatively good shape for quality of life in general, and in preps for just in case.

    As to who to ask to join your group. Consider an auto mechanic, and an engineer/builder who can design new tools/food and water devices.
    Research shows that overweight people (not to be confused with obese) have better survival rates for a variety of diseases and ailments. There is more to the 'reserves' comment than a simple joke.
    BigFish likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

  7. #7
    Member Array lyz_grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    251
    Rule #1: Cardio

    ...zombieland? anybody? I feel like I need to stop making movie references...


    In all seriousness, that is an interesting point. As long as you're not eating yourself to death and expecting me to pay for your hospital bills, though, I have no objections.

  8. #8
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246
    I think in the event of such situations a lot of people will be whipped into shape in short order. Those who have a few extra pounds but no actual ailments (diabetes, heart disease, etc) will find those lbs getting worked off in short order.

    Those who HAVE let their health deteriorate to the point where they are clinically obese, diabetic, taking medication for their heart disease, etc, I suspect will not last very long. Either the strains of the newer, harder lifestyle will kill them (their heart, lungs, etc, won't take the added strain) or the lack of their needed medications will aggravate their condition and lead to their eventual death.

    I don't think people have to be in great shape to survive what you are talking about but I do think they have to not let it get to the point where medications and machines are keeping them alive.. if they can help it.

    I understand some people are just born with bad helpings of health and the wonders of our modern medicine keep them alive, healthy and functioning. While it's unfortunate, those good people who would otherwise not take their health for granted like some of us do may not be with us long after the collapse.

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    ...
    Should that bridge go out, and traffic is what I expect (not moving anywhere) I know that I will have to hump it as far as 26 miles. Fueled by concern for my family (and vanilla crisp power bars) I expect that I will make this trip in 6 to 7 hours.
    Not to insult your abilities, but you really think you can walk 26 miles through a disaster zone in 7 hours? Maybe if you were running/speed walking, but if it was bad enough to disrupt the bridges, it might be more difficult terrain all around. There would be a lot of other concerns I would think. If I was trying to be realistic, I would tell my wife maybe a day or two, and try to surprise her by showing up earlier if possible. I try to plan on the worst, and pray it doesn't happen.

    With all of the people trying to get around lake Washington, the whole area would be a madhouse.
    Walk softly ...

  10. #10
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,489
    You're correct lima, I don't think that you have to be in excellent physical shape to survive. But there are so many people who are only alive now due to the miracle of modern medicine because they have taken their health for granted. As a society it seems that we are overfeed but undernourished, and the amount of dietary related health problems amazes me.

    I just wonder how many heart attacks we would have if the power went out for one week in August in Alabama? Without AC and having to do physical labor would probably wipe out 10% of my little town due to stroke and heart disease.
    lyz_grace and Rock and Glock like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  11. #11
    Member Array lyz_grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You're correct lima, I don't think that you have to be in excellent physical shape to survive. But there are so many people who are only alive now due to the miracle of modern medicine because they have taken their health for granted. As a society it seems that we are overfeed but undernourished, and the amount of dietary related health problems amazes me.
    Wish I could like this twice.

  12. #12
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You're correct lima, I don't think that you have to be in excellent physical shape to survive. But there are so many people who are only alive no due to the miracle of modern medicine because they have take their health for granted. As a society it seems that we are overfeed but undernourished, and the amount of dietary related health problems amazes me.
    As it does me. I have seen people who literally would not be alive were it not for machines they would be dead and every ailment was self-induced... years of smoking, overeating, lack of exercise, drinking.... it's very very tragic and I agree that there would/will be a lot of people who will die in short order do to lack of medication and machines in just a matter of days/weeks.

    Sadder still is that there would be a lot of children on that list.

  13. #13
    Member Array MBRIDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    181
    I like donuts and burritos as much as the next guy... but I also like P90X! BRING IT!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array Dandyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Not to insult your abilities, but you really think you can walk 26 miles through a disaster zone in 7 hours? Maybe if you were running/speed walking, but if it was bad enough to disrupt the bridges, it might be more difficult terrain all around. There would be a lot of other concerns I would think. If I was trying to be realistic, I would tell my wife maybe a day or two, and try to surprise her by showing up earlier if possible. I try to plan on the worst, and pray it doesn't happen.

    With all of the people trying to get around lake Washington, the whole area would be a madhouse.
    I have no doubt that it would be a madhouse, but I have no doubt about my physical capabilities either. I consider what I quoted is, in fact, a conservative estimate. I've climbed Mt. Rainier in a day door to door from Seattle. Not to toot my horn, but I can sustain that pace with very little difficulty, add in the adrenaline from the event, and no problem.

    I run 6 miles or more during my lunch workout 2 to 3 times a week. I can climb Mt. Si in under an hour.

    Frankly I don't mind being second guessed, and maybe I'm wrong... but what I gave was an honest estimate of what i think I would do in an emergency.
    GGs
    BGs

    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array Dandyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    I have no doubt that it would be a madhouse, but I have no doubt about my physical capabilities either. I consider what I quoted is, in fact, a conservative estimate. I've climbed Mt. Rainier in a day door to door from Seattle. Not to toot my horn, but I can sustain that pace with very little difficulty, add in the adrenaline from the event, and no problem.

    I run 6 miles or more during my lunch workout 2 to 3 times a week. I can climb Mt. Si in under an hour.

    Frankly I don't mind being second guessed, and maybe I'm wrong... but what I gave was an honest estimate of what i think I would do in an emergency.
    Words are words, and actions are actions. My estimate will be tested this weekend. I'll get back to everyone.

    edit: I expect this to be every bit as difficult as my most recent physical challenge, which was to ride a bike solo from Seattle to the top of Hurricane Ridge on the Olympic Peninsula. On that trip I am compelled to add that I missed my estimated time
    of arrival by 15 minutes... even though I killed myself on the last few miles of the climb.

    On that particular trip, I underestimated the amount of elevation gain that one has to endure between Seattle and Port Angeles, and I also underestimated the brutal headwinds on the climb to Hurricane Ridge. (For a write up - not by me - of the 17 mile long climb to Hurricane Ridge: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5367)

    Like I said, I may have underestimated the trek around Lk. Washington, but the only way to know is to test i
    GGs
    BGs

    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

getting in shape for survival

,

powered by mybb bike week 2006

,
powered by mybb bringing nature home
,
powered by mybb family tree builder
,
powered by mybb fitness programs
,
powered by mybb get in shape for the military
,

powered by mybb group health plans

,

powered by mybb health port

,

powered by mybb just fitness

,
powered by mybb physical fitness workout plan
,

powered by mybb so important about fitness

,

powered by mybb staying in shape

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors