Which weapon?

Which weapon?

This is a discussion on Which weapon? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have already decided on getting a .22 for both home defense and some plinking. i have the choice between two handguns, the ruger mark ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sgt45

Thread: Which weapon?

Which weapon?

I have already decided on getting a .22 for both home defense and some plinking. i have the choice between two handguns, the ruger mark iii stainless steel version, or the ruger mark iii threaded barrel with rails. i need help deciding.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Pick the Ruger Mark III. Are you going to install a mounted light or supressor? Well, there you go.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Of the two, I'd go with the Mark III, though I'm not sanguine about either choice for home/self-defense.

Unless you can't handle a larger caliber, I would not recommend a .22. Both are great training guns and fun to practice with and if you practiced say 500 rounds a week, maybe then, for defense - maybe, but I think you will be better served with a larger caliber. Whatever you can shoot well. Oh yes, get some good instruction so that you know what good practice is.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Definitely the mark iii! As others have said, not an ideal hd round but better than nothing.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

The Mark III would be the best one of the two but neither one of them are made for a self defense situation especially HD. You would be better off with a shot gun or at least a 9mm for HD
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

I already have a .38 special, but this will just be there as a backup. so go with the stainless steel version?

Quote Originally Posted by jabraun98 View Post
    I already have a .38 special, but this will just be there as a backup. so go with the stainless steel version?
    The threaded barrel and the rail mount would give you more options in my view.

Is the threaded barrel version going to be more accurate?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nope, probably just more expensive. If you don't intend to mount a light or suppressor, there's no advantage to the railed model. Probably just increased costs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I have a Ruger Mark III; it is a terrific choice for plinking/practicing.

If it is your first gun purchase, it will be a comfortable learning platform for you.

If you have decided to make this your primary self defense weapon, it is better than nothing at all. In good conscience, I have to suggest that, after you are comfortable with it, that you please consider upgrading to a larger caliber weapon.

Sponsored Links