Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC - Page 2

Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC

This is a discussion on Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Perhaps it's something to do with these boxes. I bought one just before leaving the country on vacation to secure cash and passports in my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC

jcm
    Perhaps it's something to do with these boxes. I bought one just before leaving the country on vacation to secure cash and passports in my room. I placed the keys and the cable in the UNLOCKED container with a rubber band around it to keep it closed (easy for TSA to inspect if needed) inside my checked bag. When I arrived at my hotel, I found the keys and cable laying among my clothes and the box itself looking as if they had skidded it across the tarmac! Still functional, but what?!?

They do not allow any lock that is not TSA certified which means they have a skeleton key.

They do not allow any lock that is not TSA certified which means they have a skeleton key.
    That's WRONG!

We really need an air travel with firearms sticky.

Until then:

I will post this link again:

Packing and the friendly skies

There are lots of resources/tools on the site...

For example, here's a PDF you can laminate and use as a handout to the TSA and or ticket counter personnel :
    Link

Or you may wish to get a more current version here and print it in a format that you can laminate.

As concealed carriers, it is incumbent upon us to be aware of and know the laws of the other states we choose to visit... and the regulations pertaining to the process of getting from where we are to our chosen destination...

There appears to be no excuse for TSA to open your luggage for inspection without your being present... once inspected it will be tagged as inspected... it will NOT be tagged so that anyone can see there are firearms within a case from outside the case.

One of the reasons I like Ollam's methodology is that he places the firearms and his clothing and whatever other gear he has (laptops/ tech gear/ etc) IN THE SAME PIECE OF LOCKED LUGGAGE So ALL of your stuff is secure So, all of it is inspected at the same time, and is in one secured and non-TSA-locked hard sided case.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    A little more detail here. That applies to your luggage, unless you use the method described by the link oakchas gave. But the hard case inside your luggage which is required for the firearm is required to have a lock that only you have access to. That is why the TSA regs talk about notifying you and being present to take the key back after they reinspect it if necessary.

I agree with oakchas that it would be really nice to have your entire luggage contents to be locked up and not available for pilfering or rifling through in the back room. The general rule is to not expect the TSA or ticket agent to know anything about transporting a firearm, and as oakchas said, be prepared to educate them with documentation. They won't take your word for it, even if you know their regs and they don't.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Sad thing is, you have no idea where it was compromised, at the beginning or the end of the flight,(ormaybe even somewhere inbetween.
    I would follow through with the local(where you discovered the tampering) police, and let them be your guide
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

TSA x-rays all bags. If TSA would have inspected your bag for the status of your firearm they would have tracked you down so you could be present for the inspection and relock the case. Primarily this is because you are supposed to be the only one with ability to open the lock. If they had legitimately inspected your luggage (without a firearm inside) they would have left a piece of paper on the inside of your luggage indicating they had inspected it. I have had them mark the airline applied tag with a hologram looking sticker, too, but I am not sure if they still do that.

It is difficult to say what happened but my guess is it is a baggage handler with too much time on his hands. Perhaps he got interrupted before he was able to open the case after busting the lock.

If TSA "officially" opened your case for whatEVER reason, they are then "officially" required to place an "official" document inside of the case with a notification of that inspection occurrence. No notification documentation inside means it was NOT a valid, pro-forma inspection. You need to report the incident.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    academy here is texas sells gun safes with locks, and cables for 29.99 that are airport friendly as well as gunvault brand for 99
    call the authorities and glad to here that your gun wasn't stolen.. I've flown everywhere with mine (usually Delta) haven't ever had any issues.. Have a safe flight home and good luck
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I would report it to the local authorities. Like many mentioned previously, maybe someone was distracted/interrupted before being able to do more. I read that link that oakchas provided and it has really good information. Good luck next time and be safe!

Side note: A great sting operation would be to put hidden cameras/GPS Tracking inside a several cases at airports/airlines where firearms have been reported stolen frequently to catch them bad guys. Kind of like that sting operation with the iPad on ABC's BRIAN ROSS Brian Ross Tracks Stolen iPad To Florida Home of TSA Officer - ABC News - YouTube.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Another of the reasons that I like Deviant's method is that the 81mm ammo "can" is too big to walk away with... the COM sized "safes" can fit in a purpose made pocket inside a coat.. or in the larger cargo pockets on some cargo pants.

There's a downside of course.... the ammo can weighs 20# by itself... limiting you to 30# of luggage and guns in it... and, with the fees charged by the airlines nowadays for everything.... well, it's a little more expensive to travel.

But, all of your luggage is secure, it will never be inspected out of your sight, and it will be secure from baggage handlers, and even TSA agents that may be inclined to thievery.

Soft sided luggage, even the expensive stuff, with self repairing plastic zippers, can be opened with a bic pen... the locks need never be removed.

You won't get one of these open.... without a cutting torch.
    3e17224d8f64675a901be6dffded46be.image.208x180.gif

The size is: 25 in. long x 13 in. wide x 7 in. high.

This is how zippered luggage can be opened (with a TSA lock or not):
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Definitely report to authorities.....use the local Airport Authority police, who are accustomed to working with TSA and the airlines.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Am I the only one that is concerned they were able to break into a COM lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Am I the only one that is concerned they were able to break into a COM lock?
    Locks keep honest people out... and slow down thieves... the more experience the thief has, the shorter the delay.

You can replace the lock on a COM safe with a cylinder lock (tubular key)... it will baffle some... but they can sometimes be opened with a bic pen.

Oh, and as I stated earlier... with a COM type lockbox in your soft sided luggage... it's a simple matter to open the luggage and remove COM lockbox and it's contents, drop them in your cargo pants pocket and walk away. You can open the lockbox at your convenience.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    is it possible that part of the lock fell apart due to vibration of the aircraft or baggage machinery? Are there any tool marks from prying or lock picking present?
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links