Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC

This is a discussion on Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Yoda Am I the only one that is concerned they were able to break into a COM lock? I saw this online ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Am I the only one that is concerned they were able to break into a COM lock?
    I saw this online a few days ago. I wonder if the catch that broke off so easily in this guys is the same piece missing from the OP's. He didn't even damage the box to get the lock's catch to come loose. Doesn't appear to have much of a weld on it. So much for how easy the cable is to cut. I'm starting to think these aren't even secure enough to use in luggage, which I thought was the perfect application for them.

GV200 Failed Latch with Screwdriver.jpg
    wingryder likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    One reason I don't care for the COM safes (no matter who's name is on 'em)... they're easily openable.

TSA had no right to open that box...IF you declared you were flying with firearms. You did declare, right? It should have been inspected, if they needed to do that, in your presence. You should have had to open it and re-lock it.
    ^^^ THIS. I am sure that TSA opened it. TSA is immediately suspicious of locked anything... I know that ain't right but that is just the way it is. You MUST declare a firearm with the airline before you check it, for obvious safety reasons. We had a ramp agent and a passenger nearly shot when an undeclared gun, thrown into a suitcase went off in the bin of the aircraft. The bullet punched a hole in the floor, went through a seat and damaged the skin of the aircraft! The bullet missed the ramp agents head by inches, and luckily the passenger sitting in the seat was standing in the aisle deplaning.

That was before 9/11... when I was a ticket agent... I'm not sure what kind of cavity search is involved by TSA for guns in bags now... but I am sure that, since they are the Feds and represent DHLS, they pretty much have carte blanc to do whatever they feel is "necessary" to mitigate a perceived threat.
    Glock 26 Gen3 (EDC)
    Glock 21 Gen2 (HD)

VIP Member
    Oh boy am I glad they{The Feds} have control of our health care.

Can't wait to see the idiocracy that abounds with that runaway train.

Think healthcare spending is out of control now?

Just wait.

The whole TSA deal is an outrage, and if people would stop flying for awhile they would stop the rediculousness that abounds.
    Businesses can hold most meetings via computer now, and a lot of corporate travel could be stopped.
    A side benefit might be reduced cost of doing business, and the savings could be passed on to consumers.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Just wait.

Businesses can hold most meetings via computer now, and a lot of corporate travel could be stopped.
    A side benefit might be reduced cost of doing business, and the savings could be passed on to consumers.
    I doubt it. Any saving would probably go into CEO/CFO bonuses.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Are you sure the screw that holds the lock together did not fall out? I had this happen to mine, not on a flight, but in the car. I put it back together with some Lock tite blue and have had no more issues. Now if there are pry marks, etc. ...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links