Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC

This is a discussion on Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, Arrived in KC yesterday evening from FL. Got my bag (gun locked in COM safe, cabled to suitcase) at the baggage claim, checked ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC

Hi All,

Arrived in KC yesterday evening from FL.

Got my bag (gun locked in COM safe, cabled to suitcase) at the baggage claim, checked quickly to make sure the safe was still in there, picked up the rental car and headed to the hotel. When I arrived, and opened my suitcase to begin putting stuff out, I discovered that my Center of Mass safe appears to have been broken open. Part of the interior of the lock is missing. It's gone. Which leads me to believe someone jimmied the safe open. But, nothing is missing.

Haven't called the airline (SW) or TSA. I doubt it would do any good for replacement, but just to give them a heads-up that this is going on.

I now need to find a gun safe in a local gun store in order to fly back on Monday.

I am not a happy camper. Very glad my gun was not stolen.

ETA: I found the missing catch on the lock. I don't see how the safe could have 'come open' on its own. Packed in too tightly.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; November 1st, 2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: additional info
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Definitely glad your gun was not stolen. I'd say lucky you but this sucks.

An alternative to buying another safe: can you approach an FFL and ask them to ship it to your FFL? Or even use FedEx, you can ship an unloaded firearm to yourself. Then you buy some time on replacing the safe.

Not really a cost-effective solution, just an alternative. Some hotels have FedEx/Kinko's in the hotel and you may be able to use that.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Hi All,

Arrived in KC yesterday evening from FL.

Got my bag (gun locked in COM safe, cabled to suitcase) at the baggage claim, checked quickly to make sure the safe was still in there, picked up the rental car and headed to the hotel. When I arrived, and opened my suitcase to begin putting stuff out, I discovered that my Center of Mass safe appears to have been broken open. Part of the interior of the lock is missing. It's gone. Which leads me to believe someone jimmied the safe open. But, nothing is missing.

Haven't called the airline (SW) or TSA. I doubt it would do any good for replacement, but just to give them a heads-up that this is going on.

I now need to find a gun safe in a local gun store in order to fly back on Monday.

I am not a happy camper. Very glad my gun was not stolen.

ETA: I found the missing catch on the lock. I don't see how the safe could have 'come open' on its own. Packed in too tightly.
    You have reason to believe that someone tried to steal your firearm. You should report this to the authorities without any more hesitation. What are you waiting for??????? What if this person got interupted before he/she could complete the crime? What if this person is actually trying to get their hands on a firearm so that they can use it for something illegal?
    Hopyard and packinnova like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I personally like this guy's take on traveling the friendly skies...

Deviant Ollam's Packing and the friendly skies... Link

Warning: the video at the top of the page is nearly an hour long... but makes some very good points and is worth watching in increments.( NSFW "Language"... the language is in the video not in the rest of the site... avoid the vid, avoid the language)

You'll pay a bit extra... but until I get my license current and buy my own plane... If I'm gonna fly commercial... I might follow his lead...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    You have reason to believe that someone tried to steal your firearm. You should report this to the authorities without any more hesitation. What are you waiting for??????? What if this person got interupted before he/she could complete the crime? What if this person is actually trying to get their hands on a firearm so that they can use it for something illegal?
    I agree with this 100%. This should be reported to the authorities immediately.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

VIP Member
    Were I in that situation I would want to contact the authorities, but in all honesty I would be
    uncertain which ones. TSA? FBI? Airport Security? local police?

Which would be the most
    effective and diligent in pursuing the matter and least likely to blow it off.

I can see where local police might not be interested, but then again they could come look at the
    safe, photograph it, and hold it for further inspection by other authorities. They might also
    know who to contact at the FBI and TSA to make it count.

I'm interested in what others think about who to contact for this type of situation. I can
    see getting a big run around and excuses and stories and no investigation if the complaint goes
    to the wrong organization.
    oneshot likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Agreed, definitely let someone know. To add a wrinkle, it could be a baggage handler doing a quick check while he's somewhat hidden in the baggage section of the plane.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Definitly notify TSA. Did your bag have a notice in it saying that your bag was inspected? If so, start there, and ask about inspection methods. If not, then report an attempted theft. Either way, it is a big deal.
    Eagleks likes this.
    Walk softly ...

They could pin it down to a couple of people pretty quick,it could be it's not just your gun that has either been stolen or attempted to steal,they could set up surveillance on suspects and possibly a sting.
    Unlike electronics or jewelry,somebody tried to get access to a gun in a secure area,but then again they may not of been sure what was in the lock box and might of gained entry saw what it was and locked it back up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

One reason I don't care for the COM safes (no matter who's name is on 'em)... they're easily openable.

TSA had no right to open that box...IF you declared you were flying with firearms. You did declare, right? It should have been inspected, if they needed to do that, in your presence. You should have had to open it and re-lock it.
    Eagleks likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Report it. Call the local PD. they will examine it and perhaps check prints.they can establish access to it since you are not at the airport anymore They can contact TSA. I have no faith in that organization. They don't even know there own rules.
    oneshot and Eagleks like this.

Re: Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    One reason I don't care for the COM safes (no matter who's name is on 'em)... they're easily openable.

TSA had no right to open that box...IF you declared you were flying with firearms. You did declare, right? It should have been inspected, if they needed to do that, in your presence. You should have had to open it and re-lock it.
    I read somewhere in the past, maybe on this forum, that you can put a padlock on a case after this initial inspection. A curious George would then have to foil or break the padlock to get into the case.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

TSA checks it when your not present. The first time I flew with my gun I thought it was weird TSA didn't check it was loaded. On the return trip I hadn't locked it because I knew they were going to look at it. After she was done I said "I have to lock it". TSA said "you can't touch it after I'm done.". I said "Chicago wasn't that way. Plus how are you going to pass it in an unlocked case?" She got all frustrated saying she needs a supervisor. I told her just to put the locks on herself and spin the combo. That I just wanted to make sure it got locked. That's when she told me once I leave they open it again and gets checked again. Thought this was wrong but what am I going to do. You would think they would want it inspected in front of the owner so stuff breaking doesn't happen.

Moral of my story I wouldn't be surprised if the TSA broke your lock trying to get it open, freaked out, and sent it on its way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Assuming that the safe is not repairable, even with the catch, I would suggest that you hit the Cabela's, assuming you are staying up in the northern part of KC. You can take 435 (which is just west of KCI) south and you'll see the Cabela's exit just before you hit I70. There are some smaller gun shops in the area but your best selection (and prices) will be had at Cabela's. If you are staying down south somewhere, there are other options including a Bass Pro.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wingit View Post
    TSA checks it when your not present. The first time I flew with my gun I thought it was weird TSA didn't check it was loaded. On the return trip I hadn't locked it because I knew they were going to look at it. After she was done I said "I have to lock it". TSA said "you can't touch it after I'm done.". I said "Chicago wasn't that way. Plus how are you going to pass it in an unlocked case?" She got all frustrated saying she needs a supervisor. I told her just to put the locks on herself and spin the combo. That I just wanted to make sure it got locked. That's when she told me once I leave they open it again and gets checked again. Thought this was wrong but what am I going to do. You would think they would want it inspected in front of the owner so stuff breaking doesn't happen.

Moral of my story I wouldn't be surprised if the TSA broke your lock trying to get it open, freaked out, and sent it on its way.
    As usual, the person you dealt with at the airport has no idea what she was talking about.

From TSA website: Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration
    "
    The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.

If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.

TSA must resolve all alarms of checked luggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.

If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
    Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
    "
    -----------
    Translated, either you are informed, or the gun doesn't go on the plane. It is supposed to be locked, in your presence, with you and only you having access to the key/combo. They do not trust their own people to have access, wether due to liability issues, or an accurate assessment of their employee screening process.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links