Safe Homes for All Occassions

This is a discussion on Safe Homes for All Occassions within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lessons From the Ultimate Safe Houses - WSJ.com More home builders and buyers are chasing a new kind of security: homes equipped to handle everything ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 4 Post By VTski4x4
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Safe Homes for All Occassions

Lessons From the Ultimate Safe Houses - WSJ.com

More home builders and buyers are chasing a new kind of security: homes equipped to handle everything from hurricanes, tornados and hybrid superstorms like this week's Sandy, to man-made threats ranging from home invasion to nuclear war. Some, rebuilding in frequently storm-tossed areas, are looking to better withstand the next disaster; others are hoping to create a safeguard against any possible calamity.
    Fueling the rise of these often-fortress-like homes are new technologies and building materials—which builders say will ultimately be used on a more widespread basis in storm- and earthquake-threatened areas.
    For those with more money...........
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; November 2nd, 2012 at 04:51 PM.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Senior Moderator
    You would do that when I am looking at house plans, my construction budget is not big enough to have 32" thick steel reinforced concrete walls.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You would do that when I am looking at house plans, my construction budget is not big enough to have 32" thick steel reinforced concrete walls.
    Mine, too...

one...

one 32" "think" steel reinforced concrete wall... 24" tall, too... about 10 feet long...

Yep... I think my budget would cover that.... I could sleep on top of it... or hide behind it...
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

This house was built as the "ultimate Zombie proof" home. I want it. Even has a moat and drawbridge

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I saw a show where they featured that house. It was pretty amazing. Not the prettiest when locked down, but not that bad when it's opened up. How cool would it be to have a draw bridge?
    Walk softly ...

“Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man.” - Gen George Patton.
    Glock 26 Gen3 (EDC)
    Glock 21 Gen2 (HD)

My first thought was, when did they put a helipad on the White house that big?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    “Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man.” - Gen George Patton.
    Against Patton, I'd agree, absolutely.

But against the average putz, even a group of such putzes, stouter defenses can equate to surviving until the cavalry arrives. 30in walls, drawbridge and the like are probably over the top, certainly out of the budget range for most, but it's hard to argue the effectiveness against their intended adversaries.
    VTski4x4 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think Patton's intent is fairly universal. The people outside, know you have supplies, they have unlimited time and resources to extricate you from your fortress. While the people on the inside are trapped with limited resources. I think of the medieval castle sieges... They went on for weeks or months and were usually successful. Ones only hope against marauders would be to remain invisible or hope that easier targets are plentiful. But eventually your number will come up. JMO.
    Glock 26 Gen3 (EDC)
    Glock 21 Gen2 (HD)

Sponsored Links