Alternative Heat for your home - Page 3

Alternative Heat for your home

This is a discussion on Alternative Heat for your home within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Doodle I'm the one guy who voted shivering under blankets because let's face it... In Houston during hurricane season the problem is ...

View Poll Results: Alternative Heat sources

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wood Burning stove or fireplace

80 55.94%
  • Gas heater or fireplace that doesn't require electricity

39 27.27%
  • Space Heater (propane/kerosene

31 21.68%
  • Shivering under blankets

22 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Alternative Heat for your home

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I'm the one guy who voted shivering under blankets because let's face it... In Houston during hurricane season the problem is AC not heat. I have not run my heat yet this year and I have Window ac units and a gen should the power fail... I'm also looking into wiring the gen to run the whole home including the central air. It just doesn't get cold enough in Houston for heat to really be a problem for me.
    I'm about 4 hours farther South,even during our coldest day...maybe week if you put on a sweater or jacket inside you would be comfortable
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a wood burning Boiler as the main heat source, and a couple of generators to keep the furnaces running. Also have a wood burning fireplace in the main living room, can all sleep down there if push comes to shove.

I've got a wood burning stove and a years supply of wood.

A free standing kerosene heater with 15 gallons of kerosene.

A 250 gallon propane tank and gas stove.

A Coleman propane camping stove and 24 propane bottles for it.

Six kerosene / oil lamps with 18 quarts of lantern oil.

A 5,000 watt generator with 20 gallons of gasoline, etc. etc.

Having the above and my other preps saved my cheese and made life much more bearable during a nine day power outage I experienced about seven years ago. You really learn where your short comings are when you actually have to use them for an extended period of time.

Personally, my two biggest short falls were not enough gasoline storage for the generator and bottled water. Running the generator 24/7, the gas only lasted about five days. We were o.k. with bottled water until the boil order was issued and the neighbors all wanted some ice cold bottled water from us and we ran out about day six.

Now I live in the country with few neighbors so my resources should last longer. I do need to store more gas for emergencies though.

Having satellite TV and a generator sure does make life more bearable and pass the time.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I guess I'm the only one in an apartment in this thread. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that our gas heater requires electricity to work. If we lose power, I'll be putting on some heavier clothes and finding extra blankets. The fire code doesn't allow anything other than 1-lb propane tanks above the 1st floor, and even with those they only allow 4-lbs total per apartment. I guess I could get a small space heater, but the propane would probably be better used for cooking if we'll be out of power for a long period of time.

Compared to a lot of other places in the country, where I'm at really doesn't get very cold. It gets a bit cooler here than it does in So. California but I would say that keeping warm in the winter here is more comfort rather than survival. If you have 4 walls, a roof and decent insulation, you probably aren't going to freeze to death. There have been record colds here and there but I would say that an average winter may produce a few days where it dips down into the mid-20's here in the valley, otherwise it will probably hang out in the 30's for the lows.

I still have a couple of heaters that I can run either on propane or generator power but haven't had to do that yet where we live now. Most of the time that the power goes out here the winds are strong from the south which are normally quite warm. And as far as the cooking and hot water, the main source is propane but in a pinch a good old Coleman stove or 2 burner alcohol stove in my boat would do the trick. And if that fuel runs out I would probably be firing up the campfire outside, set up the grill and voila. (yes I have a campfire pit out in the garden area, usually used for counsel on weekends as a centerpiece for "solving the world's problems.") We always try to keep some extra Kingsford around throughout the year. And hey, no one ever said that wood can't be used to line a BBQ with for cooking. If it's propane, just gut out the gas workings in an emergency.

Back to the house heat thing, I really do miss having a good old wood burning stove.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Kerosene heater...cook on it if have to.

We turn our heat on about twice a year here... so in the crazy event we lost electricity (that's how we get heat here) AND we needed the heat... we have a propane fireplace I could drag inside from the outdoor kitchen. Or we could just dress warm for the night and sweat our butts off when the sun comes up the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    hfjeff, that's what I would like to install in my fireplace
    It puts out some serious no BS heat:

They come with a blower as an option. I would not buy one without because you won't get efficient heat transfer out into the room. Also keep ceiling fans running throughout the house to help circulate. In the event of a power outage you certainly can run it without the blower. Check out hearthforum.com for info on stoves and inserts. They have a ton of experts on that stuff and there are some great folks there as well. Between the fireplace and my generator, I don't worry about power outages in the winter. Good luck shopping.
    pgrass101 likes this.

pgrass101 I was just wondering about gas heat, if the power goes out on us our my gas furnace is down because of thermostat and the blower to force air thru the ducts, is there a way to get around that problem ?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    pgrass101 I was just wondering about gas heat, if the power goes out on us our my gas furnace is down because of thermostat and the blower to force air thru the ducts, is there a way to get around that problem ?
    Not with most furnaces, we have a gas furnace that is nonoperational without electricity. We do have an old fashion ceramic gas heater that you light with a match, it requires no electricity. You can probably get a more modern one installed in your house for less than $1000.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I run a wood stove normally to supplement my winter heating cost anyway so it's a non-issue for me. I run the LP during the day to keep the place from getting too cold when I'm not there and when I get home from work I fire up the wood stove to make up the difference. The wood stove will run from about 6 in the evening until 8 or 9am on a bucket and a half of split hardwood IF I'm good about minding the dampers(the bucket is about 3'x2'x2').

It's worth noting my stove is an OLD Black Bart II. It's capable of running wood or COAL. So I have options there too. ;-p
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I checked propane or kerosene space heater because I doubt you would find fireplaces or a convenient source of wood for a wood stove or fireplace in NYC. Most gas heaters I've seen require electricity for blower, ignition source or safety device.

The cheapest way to heat is wood .......my first house had electric heat but I never used it. I had a warm morning type wood heater with a blower and an automatic damper. From abt November to mid April it ran 24/7. I had a free supply of wood for twenty some years. Always kept abt three pots of water on top the stove to keep dryness at bay. When the power went out I had a battery powered TV/radio combo, candles, oil lamps and food that could be fixed over the wood heater to keep me going. We have plenty of ice storms in my neck of the woods, so most around here are ready for it...I'd much rather seen the snow instead or better yet nothing at all if possible. I hate getting cabin fever...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Senior Moderator
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Generator, plus under floor heating (circulating liquid), plus wood burning boiler to heat said liquid in the event of power failure.
    (In the event of actually having power, then the wood burning boiler heats the lap pool)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links