Alternative Heat for your home

This is a discussion on Alternative Heat for your home within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought this was going to be a thread about a backup gun to your HD gun......

View Poll Results: Alternative Heat sources

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wood Burning stove or fireplace

80 55.94%
  • Gas heater or fireplace that doesn't require electricity

39 27.27%
  • Space Heater (propane/kerosene

31 21.68%
  • Shivering under blankets

22 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Alternative Heat for your home

I thought this was going to be a thread about a backup gun to your HD gun...
    mprp likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The city governments in the storm-struck areas should be dropping off a few 55-gal drums on each block with a note attached:

"Please place all burnable debris in the drum and ignite. Gather around and meet your neighbors while you keep warm and help clean up the streets."

It's a win/win situation.

They probably won't do it because it might violate some EPA rule (or someone's afraid they might find Jimmy!).
    pgrass101 and mprp like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    We have two fire places, back to back in our house. I keep thinking about putting a wood stove insert into one of them to increase the efficiency for heating, but they would work in a pinch. For cooking we have the barbeque in the back yard with an extra propane tank, and camping stoves. We could get by for quite a while if necessary. It could be a "fun" family camping trip right at home.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    We have two gas fireplaces that will work if the gas is still being provided. I realize that some in the current NY/NJ storm have lost gas as well as power.

In years past, we lived in rural KY and lived in a 1 story underground house (front side was the only exposed side) and heated with wood exclusively - unless we went out of town. We still have that stove in the garage and it would not be too hard to hook it up, but it would probably take longer to safely do it than the need would exist.

I kinda miss that house, but I don't miss Virgil's cows getting loose and coming into our back yard. Fortunately they never came through the roof, but it was only a few inches off the ground in the back. We had to shoo them away a few times.

For cooking, we have a white gas camp stove that can do the job. Won't be pretty, but we will have hot food. Can also be used to purify water, but I also have a more modern water purificaiton pump and the old 2 tablet method as well.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

StarPD45
    Being in what was the boonies at the time, (Not any more, *sigh*) we installed a propane floor furnace in the kitchen, which heats the whole house. No electricity needed. It'll run all winter on one fill up. The setback thermastat runs on 2 AA batteries. We did that because at the time we moved in, ~30 years ago, the power went off frequently for no apparent reason. Also have the RV in the driveway (TT, so no genset), but propane stove. And a gas griile.
    Only thing we need a genset for is the water pump and the fridge. Plenty of candles and LED lights.

FWIW: Here's a quick trick to have light when the power goes out. Go to Walmart or... and pick up a few of those solar yard lights. The kind you stick in the ground. As long as it is sunny they provide walk-around light for several hours.
    My .02

PM
    I would be under blankets or in the sleeping bags (use more in winter to keepwarm in the house than in tent! Have thought about a wood stove esp. with Nat gas prices of late. Just can't figure where to put it!

I have a fireplace and a woodstove, I grew up in rural Maine so I am proficient at cooking using both. I also have a 10Kw portable (yeah, right) generator, and a few coleman stoves.
    Libertas Vel Mors

I have 3 fireplaces in the house. Great room, Kitchen Keeping room, master bedroom keeping room. There is a 6KW generator in the garage on wheels that can plug into the Dryer outlet to power selected items from the main panel in the terrace level. Yes it is a dead mans cord with plugs on both ends. Turn off main breaker and all items not needing power, plug in generator and keep the frig working. Stove and Oven are gas also. Have Big Green Egg outside for additional cooking.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

We have a pellet stove and small inverter generator. Plus we have a Big Buddy heater plus plenty of propane. Neither will last indefinitely but we would be ok for an extended outage. Once we move, a wood burning stove or insert is near the top of the list.

We have a propane grill and camp stoves for cooking.

Woodstove is my primary heat. Electric space heaters are backup. With winter windstorms I can almost always get enough free wood to heat my home for the entire following winter by simply offering to clean up for people that lost trees in the storm :-)
    pgrass101 likes this.

I have a kerosene heater. Kerosene is getting harder to come by for a main source of heat, and if you think gasoline is high, a gal of kerosene is $8+, but gettting a 5gal can for temporary heating is no big deal.

I have used propane as well, and I still have the tank but I had borrowed the heater and no longer have it. IMO kerosene worked better for storage and it was easy to tell how much I had. There were a couple of times we woke up freezing coz we ran out of propane in the middle of the night - also if you are using small 20# "exchange" bottles you can't really trade them in to get more until it's gone, where I can pick up another can of kerosene anytime since it doesn't require a high pressure container. I usually cook over charcoal or wood fires, but you can easily warm water or pre-cooked stuff like canned soup, over just about any heat source in a saucepan. Instant oatmeal is great on a cold morning and if you can heat a cup of water, you're golden.

It would have to be pretty serious to knock out power in town long term, but when I used to live with my parent's in the sticks we had extended outages from time to time, but they had a wood stove and we generally enjoyed the time "off". We heated with wood regardless of electricity or not, so it didn't really change anything, though it was best to lay in a good stack of wood before an ice storm just coz walking on the ice isn't a cakewalk
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I have a wood stove that I use for my winter heat. In a power outage, I can cook on top of that too, or use camp stove and grill (outside).

I used to have a gas fireplace in my previous home. It was woodburning until I had gas run to it. With power outages in mind, I didnt have it encased in glass with a heat blower...because the blower requires electricity. It worked really well in power outages...lots of light and heated the main living areas.

Without a blower it wont work well for normal heating but in emergencies we just slept in the main living area and could see well enough to get around. It was quite comfortable in the living areas. You can cook over that too if you use old fashioned things like pie irons
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    hfjeff, that's what I would like to install in my fireplace
    What he has is much less effective without electricity to power the fireplace blower.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    Woodstove is my primary heat. Electric space heaters are backup. With winter windstorms I can almost always get enough free wood to heat my home for the entire following winter by simply offering to clean up for people that lost trees in the storm :-)
    I make out pretty well that way too. Esp since one of my neighbors is propane furnace only and the other uses a pellet stove.

I'm burning some from last yr's storm now
    Fortune favors the bold.

We live in an area prone to having power outages and at -40 and colder it doesn't take long for the house to start to feel a tad nippy. We have a wood stove that, thanks to the size/layout of our house and the particular stove, will heat every inch of our 2,700 sf plus my 900 s/f garage with no problem. Thanks to the price of heating oil I primarily burn wood. Right now I have three years worth of cut (15+/- cords), split and seasoned wood and roughly 8 cords of this years birch. I also have a relatively small diesel generator in a shed by the house hooked to a 500 gallon tank to ensure we have power for the basics and to run the boiler if need be. My DW grumbled at the initial cost but what we've saved in heating oil over the past two years has paid for the stove and the genny. I can sleep at night knowing that whatever happens we'll be warm and can keep our immediate (and closest) neighbors warm as well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links