Alternative Heat for your home

This is a discussion on Alternative Heat for your home within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heat with a pellet stove, requires electricity but can run for 5 days also off a deep cycle marine battery. Have a small generator to ...

View Poll Results: Alternative Heat sources

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wood Burning stove or fireplace

80 55.94%
  • Gas heater or fireplace that doesn't require electricity

39 27.27%
  • Space Heater (propane/kerosene

31 21.68%
  • Shivering under blankets

22 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Alternative Heat for your home

Heat with a pellet stove, requires electricity but can run for 5 days also off a deep cycle marine battery. Have a small generator to power the essentials (mostly tv!). Can cook with the trusty Weber grill.

2. Remove Ads

I have an airtight type wood stove located beside the high efficiency forced air propane furnace . I cut in a filtered 14"x20" return air register above the stove . Furnace fan set to constant running . Wood stove heats 3900 sq ft 3 story home and furnace kicks on if the stove gets low . 6k generator to run the furnace fan and freezers during frequent power outages . Living on a farm , food and cooking are never an issue .

A good, and different, point of view I recently heard discussed was to not heat the house, but the person. So much wasted energy heating all that space, and only a small amount actually heating the people in it. Granted, this may be of limited usefulness for those in very cold climates. But even then, the energy demand can be greatly decreased.

One example: Electric blankets (or electrically heated mattress pads). Can be run off deep-cycle batteries with a small inverter. Or better yet, they sell electric blankets for RVs that already run off DC voltage. Thus minimizing the inefficiencies of converting from DC to AC (and often back to DC again). The electric blankets run off relatively small amounts of power and put the heat right on you instead of heating all the empty space. No, they will not keep your whole house warm and your pipes from freezing. But you can use a lot less energy for that if your body is taken care of.

The batteries themselves can be charged from your generator as needed, but will minimize the fuel burned if you aren't trying to heat your whole house for hours.
    One example - you're already running the generator a few hours a day for your refrigerator/freezer... charge your deep-cycle(s) then too. Not with a small 1 Amp trickle charger, but a larger "smart" unit that can bulk charge at higher Amps (depending on battery capacity, of course) then reduce current acordingly. This will drastically cut down on time and fuel required.

Many more ideas over at How to Make an Emergency Home & Mobile Battery Bank
    I have no affiliation with that site, just found it helpful.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Heat has never been a problem, I live in SE Florida, but the loss of air conditioning does present a slight problem during a power outage because it forces me to get off my backside and switch to generator power. Someday I'll get the automatic transfer switch.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

If your worried about losing power, getting some deep cycle batteries and power inverters can help! I'm considering getting some 800w inverters they're only under $100 a pop.

How many of you thought of the type of backup gun when you read the title of this thread? Be honest. Maybe I just need help...
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    How many of you thought of the type of backup gun when you read the title of this thread? Be honest. Maybe I just need help...
    Yes, I did and that is why I did not read it the day the subject hit the forum.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I have a generator that will run the refrigerator, lights and television
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    If your worried about losing power, getting some deep cycle batteries and power inverters can help! I'm considering getting some 800w inverters they're only under $100 a pop.
    What do you plan to operate with 800w inverters ?

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinbutch View Post
    What do you plan to operate with 800w inverters ?
    My Flux Capacitor.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    We haven't had a problem since we moved to Florida. We have a gas grill for cooking and gas water heater. Real cold only lasts for a few hours as a rule. We had a freeze (cold as 29º) a couple of years ago.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links