Doberman Security Motion Detector- It works *condition red at 11:30 at night

This is a discussion on Doberman Security Motion Detector- It works *condition red at 11:30 at night within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I purchased a Doberman Security motion detector and have it set up at the top of the stairs outside our room. Apparently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Doberman Security Motion Detector- It works *condition red at 11:30 at night

Doberman Security Motion Detector- It works *condition red at 11:30 at night

My wife and I purchased a Doberman Security motion detector and have it set up at the top of the stairs outside our room. Apparently its pretty sensitive and it WILL wake you up from a dead sleep. My wife has been under the weather so we passed out around 8:30 last night. I sleep with my g 26 next to my bed and her mossberg 510 is next to her. At around 11:30 last night this god awful alarm wakes me up from a dead sleep and I will say it is the scariest sound in the world. I have never felt an adrenaline rush like it. I woke up and grabbed my gun and had it trained on the door just waiting. Even with the pitch black of our room I swear it was as bright as day and the night sights were lit up like no other. I listened intently as my wife was dialing 911 in case something happened. After 30 seconds the alarm went off and I sat there and listened for another 30 seconds. My dog was not reacting (he sleeps with us) so I figured it was all clear. Grabbed my sure fire and systematically began to clear the house. We live in a 2 floor town home so I opened my door and saw none of the doors upstairs were open so I go downstairs slowly and realize that none of the downstairs doberman alarms had gone off on the door and there was nothing open. I go back upstairs only to notice a giant cock-roach at the corner of the wall/ ceiling just above the motion alarm.... I guess it walked across the beam and set it off... I have never been in a situation like that and I hope I am never ever again in a real life situation that will put me like that. Scariest moment ever...

Plus-
    Doberman security 100DB alarm is sensitive and works. Wakes you up thats for sure

Iffy-
    Really put things in perspective for me on how I would react should something happen

Keep in mind-
    Have a bright light on you, my surefire made the house bright as day.

Want to know-
    How many of you have been in a similar situation to find out it was a false alarm? How many of you would have gone about the situation? I heard no footsteps, running, talking, no one busted my bed room door down. Would you have gone out the door after waiting and assessing the situation? Should my wife had immediately called the police even though it was nothing? Any and ALL input would be much appreciated.

Note- We have no children, 1 dog that sleeps with us. He is a Beagle mix. All bottom floor exterior doors and windows have doberman security magnetic opening alarms on them and the top of the stairs has the motion detector.

2. Remove Ads

Glad all is OK and you got a learning experience too

It really stinks when you're ill, but you now have an experience difficult to duplicate. Hope you both get well soon.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have two Border Collie Alarms, the regularly inform me when I am under attack from squirrels and deer.
    pgrass101, TVJ, Poseidon and 3 others like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

You should have shot the cockroach! LOL!
    pittypat21 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Alarms which prove excessively sensitive won't be used because they become a pain.

I sort of doubt it was the roach that it detected, but false alarms do happen ---"ghosts" aka electrical
    interference.

The up side of suffering through a few false ones is you learn to be a bit calmer in your
    response.

Tip-- put some other inexpensive motion detector in the same general area. If only one
    goes off it is likely a false alarm. At least you won't be jumping out of your skin. There are plenty
    of inexpensive ones that will chime or alarm, or turn on a light. Two detectors covering one
    area can prevent a "heart attack."
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Can you imagine what would've happened had that roach flown over and landed on your face/head?
    mano3 and ws76133 like this.

Administrator
    I go back upstairs only to notice a giant cock-roach at the corner of the wall/ ceiling just above the motion alarm....

A giant cockroach is still a decently small target...How many shots did it take you to kill it?
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It's not a good idea to leave uncleared rooms behind you. Glad you're OK.

Glad you and your family are okay. What was the correspondence between your wife and the police? Did she just mention that you had a bump in the night? Did they send a black and white over? Also, just food for thought (like Hoganbeg stated), it's not good to leave uncleared rooms behind you. Someone could've easily been inside after they closed the door behind them when they heard the alarm go off. Stay safe!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I go back upstairs only to notice a giant cock-roach at the corner of the wall/ ceiling just above the motion alarm....

A giant cockroach is still a decently small target...How many shots did it take you to kill it?
    LOl this is South Carolina... these are mutant roaches I swear...

And yeah, after looking back I saw my faults and I do appreciate the input everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by erick619 View Post
    Glad you and your family are okay. What was the correspondence between your wife and the police? Did she just mention that you had a bump in the night? Did they send a black and white over?
    I got the impression from his post that she had dialed, but hadn't yet called. Maybe that's not the case, but that's how I read it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Administrator
    Glad that it worked out OK. A motion detector going off at the top of your stairs at night is something to be concerned about.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Been thinking about getting a pair of these for my doors. I already have motion lights that turn on if you walk in either door, and the only route to my bedroom is a 12-foot "fatal funnel" leading to my dark pit.
    My problem is that I'm a log of a sleeper, but 100db sounds adequate.haha
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

KoB
    In my opinion the real threat is the ROACH!

Here in FL. they're called Palmetto bugs cause they have wings and fly...this is what the wife says.

Me...a roach is a roach!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Oh, I thought this thread was about your dog going off!
    FLArmadillo and ep1953 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links