Guy almost carjacked - interesting ending

This is a discussion on Guy almost carjacked - interesting ending within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently ran into an acquaintance who showed me serious gashes on his hand. I asked, "what happened?", and he proceeds to tell me how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Guy almost carjacked - interesting ending

I recently ran into an acquaintance who showed me serious gashes on his hand. I asked, "what happened?", and he proceeds to tell me how he almost got carjacked. It was 2PM, a nice day, very busy area in a moderate sized city in MA. He had pulled over and gotten out of his car, and was leaning against car talking on cell phone. He's approached by two young guys, who say "we want your car". He kinda laughs, but then they start ominously moving in. He catches the first guy with a hard karate chop right to the adams apple. He said that guy went down like a rock. Then the fight is on with the second guy. He said he pummeled the second perp, and in the process he severely cut his hand on the perp's oversized jewelry!

So now the fight is basically over. My guy has beaten back the threat, but is bleeding badly. All of a sudden, my guy hears a voice behind him. He turns and this new person says, "it's OK, you're good. I'm a cop. I saw the whole thing. You get to the hospital to get that taken care of and I'll take care of this mess." My guy couldn't believe his luck, that he had a LEO as a full-on eyewitness. He took off and went to hospital.

After my guy gets out of hospital, he goes to local police station to follow up on the LEO's report about the attempted carjacking. The officer behind the desk says, "what attempted carjacking? We've got no reports of that incident". At that point, my guy realizes how lucky he probably was, as the "LEO" was almost assuredly an accomplice to the perps. My guy said he never realized that third guy was behind him. Could have ended very badly for my guy.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Could have ended badly is an understatement.
    But I can see how he would have reacted to the 3rd. suspect, as he was just through a very unruly incident.
    Glad he was alright, and thanks for the learning experience.
    Last edited by oneshot; November 9th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Off-duty cops show badges or other official ID.
    ccw9mm and thephanatik like this.

wow, could have been a lot worse. But at least two scumbags got knocked around.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    The best idea is not to stand around the car talking on the phone. Every parking lot I walk through,I see people lost in space talking on a phone,easy prey.
    lchamp, kmagnuss, ppkheat and 1 others like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

If you are or have been a LEO the first thing you do us identify yourself fully unless you know the person .

I never really though about it that the average citizen may not know that. Good post.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    SA is very important. My wife is always asking me why I turn around and look behind me when we are going for a walk. Paranoia isn't always bad.

Thanks for posting! I'm glad that it didn't get worse than cuts on his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    SA is very important. My wife is always asking me why I turn around and look behind me when we are going for a walk. Paranoia isn't always bad.
    It's not paranoia, it's good SA. Hopefully your wife will catch on and start looking behind her too. My SO was the same way initially, but got in the habit of checking her six everywhere she goes.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

So now the fight is basically over. My guy has beaten back the threat, but is bleeding badly. All of a sudden, my guy hears a voice behind him. He turns and this new person says, "it's OK, you're good. I'm a cop. I saw the whole thing. You get to the hospital to get that taken care of and I'll take care of this mess."
    Good lesson that could easily have ended deadly. Without arriving in a squad car, being dressed in uniform, without a badge/ID of any kind, this new person could be anyone. It's true for LE arriving at a scene, in which everyone's unknown; it's just as true for a self-defense situation when anyone unknown to us approaches.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Really a twist to this story. I didn't consider a LEO would not have acted as this guy did. Thanks for the info.

As soon as you said the guy behind him said he was a cop, I knew he was a fake. It didn't sound right for one thing. Also, LEOS are trained to give their name, rank and will ask for ID or contact info because they will need it to write their report and follow up with you later.

I hope everyone here realizes all of this and won't fall for such a thing.

I get the impression may not have been an LEO but a friend of the jackers that didn't want any part of the mess. Didn't want a part but didn't want to see his fellow bangers getting what they deserved. In either case. Really lucky. Glad he got home.
    mkh likes this.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Re: Guy almost carjacked - interesting ending

I too believe he was either a) an off duty cop or b) part of the BG group who didn't wanna get his head busted open like his two homies.

I'm leaning mostly towards B though. Luckily it turned out the way it did instead of the third guy shooting him from the back.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Re: Guy almost carjacked - interesting ending

There have been two incidents now in northeast Arkansas of someone impersonating a LEO.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

An internet search for incidents involving impersonating an officer over the past 12mos shows scores of instances, all over the country. I'm sure it occurs far more frequently that most think.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links