Doomsday preppers - Page 2

Doomsday preppers

This is a discussion on Doomsday preppers within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DefConGun I brought home one of those first aid boxes that I got at Wal-Mart the other day because I was tired ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Doomsday preppers

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I brought home one of those first aid boxes that I got at Wal-Mart the other day because I was tired of never having a band-aid and the kid freaked out and wanted on one...lol.
    Take the money you'd spend on Wal-Mart first aid boxes and just buy bulk first aid supplies.

I bought one of those "ready to go" kits and it only had 1 dose/application of many things. Bad idea from a prepping standpoint.

As to the show, yeah it's a little oddball, but we enjoy it for the entertainment value and it actually encouraged my wife and I to start prepping.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Take the money you'd spend on Wal-Mart first aid boxes and just buy bulk first aid supplies.

I bought one of those "ready to go" kits and it only had 1 dose/application of many things. Bad idea from a prepping standpoint.

As to the show, yeah it's a little oddball, but we enjoy it for the entertainment value and it actually encouraged my wife and I to start prepping.
    Good point. I will do something like this eventually but wanted something quick and easy for a temporary fix. I'm also going to put together a portable pack for his bug out bag.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    When did being prepared and self-sufficient become negative things that are frowned upon by others?
    Since Aesop wrote "The Ant and the Grasshopper".
    mprp and Hoganbeg like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    When I was in the military, we had training in SHTF type of scenarios...parachuting into the jungle and the like. We learned quickly that we had to eat some rather disgusting critters. If necessary, we could do it again. We need the basic weapons needed to kill such critters, and the ability to change our life habits in a hurry. I'm not a serious prepper, but I learned that I could cope if I really had to.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    I think about 99.9% of the people on that show are nuts.
    The program (TV Show) is perpetrated and produced by left wing wackos and designed to show how ALL preppers are nut jobs.
    Typical manipulation by the media.

This is no different than the political man on the street interviews. The opposing parties always look for someone with little more than a 4th grade education.
    lchamp and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    The point being, I am not sure how much planning will prepare anyone for these types of disasters as the mobs will ultimately rule the landscape.
    Depends on how capable of withstanding predation one is. Depends on the nature of the threats.

In suburbia without many of the simple, defensible elements useful for withstanding such things? Little value, you're right.

"Pack" behavior has value, and even stupid humans will realize it when push comes to shove. On both sides. Criminals ganging up to prey on weaker elements of the herd will tend to find success. So will individuals who band together in defensible positions. There's value in living arrangements that can resist approach/attack, has a fresh water source that's difficult to defeat, has a strong supply of food and supplies, has sufficient space for others to assist. Castles were great in their day, because they afforded many of these elements in a single structure. But those same elements can each have some value: hard-to-breach doors, alarmed/monitored perimeter and access paths, sufficient water/food/supplies storage, etc.

Long term, readily-accessible and -defensible sources of water and food will be critical, when the packaged-foods industries, transportation fail. In a very real sense, life gets real simple when modern conveniences are toast.

Alas, Babylon -- by Pat Frank.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Like a lot of shows, it has good parts, and bad. A lot of the people they feature do look like idiots. Partly because they are, partly because the producers want to make them look that way. But there are definitly some interesting aspects to it, and if it starts making people think a little more and be a little more prepared, then I consider it a good thing.

It has made me think of a few different things that I hadn't before.
    miller_man likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Mobs don't last too long during food shortages. They tend to self-eradicate when they do find a small amount of food.

In a SHTF scenario it's only the first few weeks that mobs would be an issue. After that it will be gangs, which is still an issue, but more suseptible to skilled marksmanship.
    Seasoned looters will be a problem. However, in that scenario there are no courts to face for brandishing, collateral damage, or improper shoot-don't shoot choices.
    The trained and prepared have a huge advantage.

I've had troops & officers who are Mormon. From what I understand, their religon requires them to maintain a 6-month larder. When overseas (accompanied), they have to get a dispensation to only have a 3-month food supply. Although I'm not a Mormon, I think it's a great idea against hard times and/or SHTF.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    I've had troops & officers who are Mormon. From what I understand, their religon requires them to maintain a 6-month larder. When overseas (accompanied), they have to get a dispensation to only have a 3-month food supply. Although I'm not a Mormon, I think it's a great idea against hard times and/or SHTF.
    So there may come a day when all that is left in this world are cockroaches, Twinkies and Mormons.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    My son is an operator in a Neclear power plant, he points out noone on that show has said thing about what will happen when people who work in these power plants stop coming to work..... MRE's and guns won't help.
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.

I tend to agree. The producers are looking for the knuckle-dragging fools among us, to establish a stereotypical image of anyone who is concerned with preparation. Classic propaganda. I do watch the show, for the entertainment value and hopefully pick up some ideas I hadn't thought of. (So far, very few or not affordable for me.)

We all should be prepared for the naturally caused situations, mostly temporary, such as earthquake, severe weather events, etc. It only makes good sense. In the extreme, what is more difficult to plan for is a general break down of society. What form that takes is likely to be regional in nature. Survival in the inner city will be more difficult than in a rural community, for example. In the gravest extreme it would be a breakdown on a major, even national scale. Nuclear war, or an EMP attack could be the likely cause. In that case, I imagine the survival efforts would be very long term. No matter how well prepared, in some long term scenarios I can imagine, eventually we will run out of supplies, food and water. Then what? The US government and FEMA, may not exist any longer, and no one is coming to help.

An EMP is not as far fetched a scenario as some may think. All it would take is a medium range missile, such as a SCUD, launched from a cargo ship off-shore on the East Coast, Gulf of Mexico and the West Coast, and the entire US, most of Canada and Mexico are instantly transported back to the 1800's. There are Middle East countries, not our friends, which have the ability to do just that, right now.

There is a lot to think about on this topic, and I'd like to recommend three books on the subject.

1. "Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse," a novel by James Wesley Rawles, who blogs at;
    http://www.survivalblog.com/ The only criticism I have of this novel, is the assumption by the author that we all have unlimited funds available to buy property and equipment. He has also written others, such as; "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times" which I have read, plus "Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse" a new one I haven't read yet. Available on Amazon.

2. "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen, and forward by Newt Gingrich. This one deals with survival after an EMP attack suddenly puts modern America back into the 1800's. The author has done research on the topic and has testified before Congress on preparedness for an EMP assault. This one is very believable and causes the reader to relate events to their personal lives. Also available on Amazon.

There are many others, but these are the ones I'm familiar with.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Tonight's show was the most staged thing I've seen in a long time. Absolutely awful episode. Kind of a train wreck to be honest though, I had to finish watching it to see how rediculous it got. And rediculous it indeed did get...

Only 99.9....you're at least 1/10th off.

It's a goofy little show and we enjoy watching and poking fun of the "preppers" last season there were a few "groups/families" that had some good ideas but this season has been comical and sad so far.

VIP Member
    When did being prepared and self-sufficient become negative things that are frowned upon by others?
    I don't think it is a bad thing to prepare however going on national television and saying "This is my secret room with all my food, guns, ammo and gold" and no one knows it's here is not so smart.

I have only been able to watch the first season but one thing I did notice that many have years worth of canned food in mason jars. Great thing but the food is stacked floor to ceiling on shelves in glass jars and they are preparing for a major earthquake with nothing to keep it from falling from the shelves. Hmmmmmm....

I understand one of the 300 pound guys from the first season went to the doctor about health issues and something was said to the effect "I would not want to live like that" and he lost his guns. Not sure how all that came about.

The other one was a couple that were selling there Harley to finance more gold purchases and then the guy bought his wife a shipping container for her birthday/holiday. If one of my Harley's goes out the door and I buy my wife a shipping container for a present I had better be prepared to live in it alone.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links