Doomsday preppers

This is a discussion on Doomsday preppers within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't own a TV so I knew nothing about this series until just recently. I just discovered a National Geographic series called Doomsday Preppers ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Doomsday preppers

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Doomsday preppers

I don't own a TV so I knew nothing about this series until just recently. I just discovered a National Geographic series called Doomsday Preppers. This may be old news for some of you.

I have watched a few episodes, mostly the ones I was interested in. Many many people are totally unprepared for the SHTF scenarios. And the ones who think they are prepared, well, they were just fooling themselves.

Some of these scenarios are unjustified but the ones that seem most likely are:
    • Financial collapse
    • EMP attack
    • Solar flare wiping out electrical grid

The people highlighted have plans. Some well thought out, some not so much. Here are some of my thoughts:

• Having a supply of food is a good idea, but there will be hordes of people prepared to take it from you.
    • Defending your home from a horde of people is not practical. I do not care how many guns you have.
    • Bugging out may not be practical if we suffer an EMP attack (solar flare or otherwise) as your vehicle will not work.
    • Even if you bugged out, so are millions of other people, so it will be very dangerous at best.

Etc, etc, etc.

The point being, I am not sure how much planning will prepare anyone for these types of disasters as the mobs will ultimately rule the landscape.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

So let's form a mob. That's your point, right?
    hammer2213, Blackheart6 and tkruf like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Adaptability is the key to surviving any situation from job loss thru economic collapse. Those who are flexible and adapt thrive. Those that don't, we'll, history is full of examples.
    akav8er likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My wife and I had this discussion in 99.[Y2K] We both believe that those that are flexible will do better in the long run. In the initial panic you are going to have to fight it out. as far as hoards of people... get to know your neighbors. DR
    fail_187 and tkruf like this.

Re: Doomsday preppers

I think about 99.9% of the people on that show are nuts.
    RonCo, mano3, Ksgunner and 3 others like this.

Well if I was prepping I wouldnt go on national tv and let people know what I have and where Im at. Thats just saying Ive got food and Im over here. im staying low key to whatever I do. I dont want unwanted attention. Stay safe.
    akav8er, lchamp, ws76133 and 3 others like this.

That show makes 'real' preppers look like fools...it's a tv show.
    My neighbor is a cop, and we talk about roaming gangs looking for food.
    He doesn't think many will stick around after the full-auto ammo starts flying.
    We live in a sub with few entrances...block 'em off and take turns staying awake.
    NY27, tclance and Badey like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When did being prepared and self-sufficient become negative things that are frowned upon by others?
    atctimmy and miller_man like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    When did being prepared and self-sufficient become negative things that are frowned upon by others?
    Since Americans got fat and lazy, and began thinking that food comes from grocery stores instead of from animals and gardens.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Distinguished Member
    I think having the ability to adapt to and overcome new challenges and being prepared for SOMETHING to happen is key. I don't think you can prepare for everything or prepare for an exact scenario. Doesn't work that way. I think in reality, eventually you'll need to be a part of a large group of people with a renewable source of water, food and protection. Short of that, eventually all prepping will fall short.
    tkruf, 1MoreGoodGuy and ctr like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    In any Katrina/Sandy situation the mobs armed with whatever they can find are NOT trained troops armed with first class weapons. Myself, and 4-5 neighbors, can FROM A DEFENSIVE POSITION drive OFF a mob of 40-60. Mob people are mob people because they made NO preparations, including military and in most cases firearms training. As a disabled Marine NCO I do have some physical limitations but within hours/days I can train a group of neighbors to drive off mobs 10-1.
    1MoreGoodGuy and miller_man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I don't own a TV so I knew nothing about this series until just recently.
    I never knew anyone who doesn't own a TV. I'm not knocking it I just find it amazing.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I don't own a TV so I knew nothing about this series until just recently. I just discovered a National Geographic series called Doomsday Preppers. This may be old news for some of you.

I have watched a few episodes, mostly the ones I was interested in. Many many people are totally unprepared for the SHTF scenarios. And the ones who think they are prepared, well, they were just fooling themselves.

Some of these scenarios are unjustified but the ones that seem most likely are:
    • Financial collapse
    • EMP attack
    • Solar flare wiping out electrical grid

The people highlighted have plans. Some well thought out, some not so much. Here are some of my thoughts:

• Having a supply of food is a good idea, but there will be hordes of people prepared to take it from you.
    • Defending your home from a horde of people is not practical. I do not care how many guns you have.
    • Bugging out may not be practical if we suffer an EMP attack (solar flare or otherwise) as your vehicle will not work.
    • Even if you bugged out, so are millions of other people, so it will be very dangerous at best.

Etc, etc, etc.

The point being, I am not sure how much planning will prepare anyone for these types of disasters as the mobs will ultimately rule the landscape.
    I'm not too worried about it. If the world suddenly collapses, I'm pretty much dead anyway, since I require daily medications to stay alive, due to multiple organ transplants anyway.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I think the show is full of good ideas. It doesn't matter if the people are crazy or not, even a crazy person can teach you something.

My 10 yr old nephew loves the show and I think its a good way to teach him how to adapt and prepare for different situations - its a good learning tool. I brought home one of those first aid boxes that I got at Wal-Mart the other day because I was tired of never having a band-aid and the kid freaked out and wanted on one...lol. If I can use the show to teach him responsibility then its "A" OK in my book. ;-)
    miller_man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I'm not too worried about it. If the world suddenly collapses, I'm pretty much dead anyway, since I require daily medications to stay alive, due to multiple organ transplants anyway.
    There was a recent episode where the mother and daughter had diabetes and the measures they took to insure an insulin supply for as long as they could.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links