Confrontation in Durham, NC today. - Page 5

Confrontation in Durham, NC today.

This is a discussion on Confrontation in Durham, NC today. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So you are to good that a down and out guy can't even ask you a question? Maybe he just wanted to know what time ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Confrontation in Durham, NC today.

So you are to good that a down and out guy can't even ask you a question? Maybe he just wanted to know what time it was but instead of showing some humanity you decided to show how bad you were and made a simple situation bad. I would suggest that with that kind of attitude you should carry your weapon on you at all times.

Re: Confrontation in Durham, NC today.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Please when you quote me put in the full context of the post I did which was in response to another post:
    I quoted the portion I was commenting on and anyone who wants more context can just go read the original.

You can go back and read the post I was replying to. And again, did you miss the part "I am not minimizing what COULD have happened".
    I agree with you that his after the fact comentary (mozambique drill etc) seems unwise but I can't find fault in his actions other than getting himself in that situation in the first place. Once the BG expressed a desire to kill the OP it seems only prudent for the OP to make sure the BG doesn't find a way to accomplish that goal.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Re: Confrontation in Durham, NC today.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    If we're now down to introducing imagined scenarios that aren't in the OP, what if the vagrant was blind but had a white sword cane and the OP had a attack gorilla on a leash dressed in Kevlar?
    The OP would have been able to see those things at the time but he couldn't be sure the BG wouldn't think of some more common way of achieving his stated goal of killing the OP. Reaching down to retrieve his gun seems like a reasonable measure of insurance.
    Retreat to the safe confines of a locked car & call 911.
    Leaving his girlfriend trapped out there at the locked restaurant doors with the BG?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

This conversation has done an excellent job illustrating what any of would face should we have to take the stand to defend actions taken in a self defense situation. You certainly wouldn't find a jury of your peers outside of this forum to be very understanding..
    ccw9mm, Hoganbeg and KBSR like this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I don't let the homeless get near me either, Ive seen all to often what they do to each other! As far as the OP needing a sympathetic jury, Keeping your hand on your gun while some guy is verbally threatening you passes the smell test for me. I don't see where that amounts to brandishing! OP wasn't waving it or even pointing it at the guy. Not that this applys here but what would a local cop be doing in that same situation? He would have released the retention strap, placed his hand on the gun, and watched the guy go on ranting up the street. Is that brandishing or being safe?

If the guy had come charging back and the OP had shot him would he find a sympathetic jury? Id say Yes! No where in this did I read that the OP was egging him on or asking for a fight. My only issue with the OPs story is Id suggest that if He has a deadly encounter he lets a lawyer do "all' the talking for him! DR

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    Never get into a "tit-for-tat" exchange with a homeless person. The vast majority are alcoholics, drug addicts, or mentally ill. Or some combination of all 3.

Do not respond when they try to engage you. Ignore and make your exit (while remaining alert and ready, as always).

Best way by far I have found for dealing with the homeless panhandlers that are everywhere now is as soon as I spot them heading my way is to say "hey buddy, can I bum a cigarette"

Strike first and get them on the defensive, it works like a charm and takes them out of there element.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

This is a text book example of how having a understanding of human behavior and " street people in general is just as important as the firearm carried to protect against said threat.

You must know your enemy, and how they respond to you. Clearly, your " Nope" was taken as a " dis" to this person. And why the rude demeanor on your part without any real provacation on the part of the party mentioned is lost to me.

This is the problem with fear based carry, especially among new carriers. The gun is viewed as a token to ward off evil and attacks, and gives a feeling of power.

Please remember that your world is not the same as those we common associate with violence or common street mentality.

Sometimes, a little humanity goes a long way. You must learn the difference, get the chip off your shoulder, and learn how to be strong without being a rude to people just because you fear their intentions.

Being nice at first does not waive your right to be ugly when its time.
    OldVet, wmhawth, Darrow75 and 9 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^Winner^^^

Sometimes we need to remember: There but for the grace of God go I...
    Hopyard and Rock and Glock like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

So what was wrong with letting him ask a question? You do sound like a guy who scares easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Going to get your weapon and then going back to escalate the situation would not have turned out well for you had you been forced to shoot, you know. Better to walk away.
    yes, no need to ever escalate a situation.

best to deescalate.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertPA View Post
    While in Durham an black male, obviously homeless, asked me if he could ask a question and my response was "nope". He then says "NOPE! If I had a gun I would shoot your ass right now".

Given that I don't take very kindly to being threatened I reached back into my car and grabbed by gun (we were going into a restaurant) and holstered the weapon and asked if we had a problem....
    this is where you went wrong.

if you had time to reach back into your car to get your gun, it sounds like there was no real immediate threat and you could have just ignored his bs and just left the scene.

there is nothing wrong with leaving a bad situation.
    atctimmy likes this.

Let's review the procedure involving the use of deadly force. It is, in this order where possible,

AVOID
    EVADE
    ESCAPE
    ENGAGE

To OP. you've gotten a lot of good advice here. Listen to it. Re-read Glockman's post above. As usual, great advice.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

One thing to always keep in mind is, there are probable witness's to the event, and they be not backen saltines. Video cameras are almost everywhere now for the jury to view.

But the right thing to do is not escalate the situation and remove yourself / family from the situation as fast as possible. Speaking of myself, I would be as polite as possible and insist him / they keep a respectable distance from me. I personally would not imply I had a weapon or pull one out unless I was sure he / they had a lethal weapon in their hand and was dead set on getting me, or after I was physically attacked / assaulted.

That's just my mind frame.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

If you're going to take the OP to task, at least get the facts right. He didn't go back to his car and get his handgun; he was already standing by it. He also did not pursue the individual in question. Obviously getting in his car and leaving wasn't an option, as he was still waiting for his girlfriend.

That said, the OP could have been more polite initially. Likewise retrieving and holstering your weapon in plain sight of a potential threat is not advised. I'd have to say this jumped out at me the most though.
    I was waiting for him to attempt to put his hands where I couldn't see them or start towards me because he would have experienced all to fast the mozambique drill
    At this point he was still an unarmed man. While he may have had opportunity and had expressed his desire to do harm, he had not, as yet, displayed the ability. Mozambique'ing unarmed people is generally frowned upon.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

its always best to try to defuse a situation that could get violent.

there is no shame in walking away and not getting the last word.

there is nothing wrong with letting a foul-mouthed fool be foul-mouthed. seriously, who cares.

the last thing we all want to do is turn a situation that could end peacefully with no harm/no faul..into one where someone dies unneccessarily.
    Darrow75 likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links