Confrontation in Durham, NC today.

This is a discussion on Confrontation in Durham, NC today. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While in Durham an black male, obviously homeless, asked me if he could ask a question and my response was "nope". He then says "NOPE! ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Confrontation in Durham, NC today.

Confrontation in Durham, NC today.

While in Durham an black male, obviously homeless, asked me if he could ask a question and my response was "nope". He then says "NOPE! If I had a gun I would shoot your ass right now".

Given that I don't take very kindly to being threatened I reached back into my car and grabbed by gun (we were going into a restaurant) and holstered the weapon and asked if we had a problem. He then begins to rant about "I'll beat your ass you cracker (blah blah all the typical ant-white racial slurs that is typical). I had my hand upon my holstered Ruger SR9c and advised him to keep moving. He would occasionally stop and place his hands out and say "Go ahead and shoot me you scared ass cracker, I ain't got nothing to live for" followed by "You better not leave your car alone, *****". Eventually my girlfriend walks back to inform me the place was closed and I advised her to get into the car and I backed up and kept my firearm ready and then drove away.

So, case in point, you NEVER know when you need your weapon. I was waiting for him to attempt to put his hands where I couldn't see them or start towards me because he would have experienced all to fast the mozambique drill

2. Remove Ads

I was in Durham a couple of months ago to carry my Dad to the Duke Eye Center. You best believe I had my weapon in my vehicle and it stayed there because you are not allowed to pack in any Hospital facility in NC.

Going to get your weapon and then going back to escalate the situation would not have turned out well for you had you been forced to shoot, you know. Better to walk away.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

mkh
    I read the first sentence of your second paragraph and the first thought that came to mind was "I bet this guy has a low post count and may be new to carrying".

It may just be the way you wrote your post but is sounds to me like you escalated the situation with your gun posturing. Not good.

Wow, if there was ever a case to justify mandatory psychological evaluations to obain a CCL this is it.

Sorry, but I have to agree. The way written, the account sounds like you escalated the situation and placed you and your girlfriend in greater danger. Grab your gun, sure, but keep quiet about it and don't say anything else to the guy.
    Tmarkert and Truckinbutch like this.
    Don't bring a knife to a gun fight...unless it's strapped to a gun.

VIP Member
    Perhaps it would have been easier to let him ask the original question.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by RobertPA View Post
    While in Durham an black male, obviously homeless, asked me if he could ask a question and my response was "nope". He then says "NOPE! If I had a gun I would shoot your ass right now".
    And it can happen that quickly.

Given that I don't take very kindly to being threatened I reached back into my car and grabbed by gun (we were going into a restaurant) ...
    You weren't carrying at the time? It can happen that quickly, yes. But it can happen even more quickly ... though, it didn't in this instance. Had he been more aggressive, quicker, you'd have been unarmed.
    BkCo1, Anubis and glockman10mm like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    I was in Durham a couple of months ago to carry my Dad to the Duke Eye Center. You best believe I had my weapon in my vehicle and it stayed there because you are not allowed to pack in any Hospital facility in NC.
    Most probably are posted and that would need to be obeyed, but if not, there is no NC law that prohibits cc in hospital.
    boricua and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I read the first sentence of your second paragraph and the first thought that came to mind was "I bet this guy has a low post count and may be new to carrying".

It may just be the way you wrote your post but is sounds to me like you escalated the situation with your gun posturing. Not good.
    What does post count have to do with anything??
    exdee40, RichB70 and Maynard like this.

To the original poster, you may want to take the NC concealed carry class and if you already have, you may want to review it in detail again. You need to learn when you can use deadly force and under what circumstances.

You can not use deadly force against a verbal threat or pushing and shoving.

You need to put less time in practicing a "Mozambique drill" and more time in understanding the laws on the use of deadly force.
    MrsHB, Ksgunner, Hopyard and 10 others like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Disagree, if as described.

The OP posted that:

Given that I don't take very kindly to being threatened I reached back into my car and grabbed by gun (we were going into a restaurant) and holstered the weapon and asked if we had a problem.
    Which pretty much smells like a legitimate willingness to commit murder, no matter what state you live in. Though, the assailant's claiming lack of a gun. But he's certainly showed he has zero problem with murder. Threatening enough for most folks, to justify standing firm against the assault.

Unfortunately, being unarmed at the moment of the assault relegated the OP to becoming armed at that moment, which itself entailed visibility of the holstered weapon to the assailant. Brandishing? IMO, not that act, no. The subsequent comment asking "Do we have a problem"? Perhaps in some knee-jerk counties, but on its own it's tantamount to telling the assailant "Your move," little more. Unknown/unspecified whether the comment was stated with a clear unwarranted threat of any sort, though it seems to me that responding with an overt claim of willingness to murder a person via arming oneself in direct response isn't criminal.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Never get into a "tit-for-tat" exchange with a homeless person. The vast majority are alcoholics, drug addicts, or mentally ill. Or some combination of all 3.

Do not respond when they try to engage you. Ignore and make your exit (while remaining alert and ready, as always).
    darbo, ep1953, mano3 and 5 others like this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I agree ,going back to get your firearm is a poor decision on your part as you had already left the threat by leaving.In this particular case you come across as someone who has a pistol trying to play cop.I bet he has one of those ccw badges.If you
    become involved in a shooting it's going to cost you big bucks! If you put yourself in the same situation DON'T pull your pistol
    again.If you have any questions on what a ccw is meant to do post on this site as we have Leo's ,retired Leo's on this site.
    There's a wealth of experience on this site with men who have more knowledge than most.Just ask!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Perhaps it would have been easier to let him ask the original question.
    Usually if u stand by for the original question u either get asked for money or assaulted, maybe both...Keep on walking away from the idiot...
    ep1953 likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links